NEWS Chris Johns: bring Kevvie onto the bench

@1910 do you have an opinion on AS. IIRC you were a fan of his coaching when he was appointed

I’m all for sacking Seibold but let’s be intelligent about our situation. We definitely hasn’t gotten rid of all the deadwood - Boyd (600-900k), Oates(500k), Offa(500k), Kahu(350-450k), Milford(1m), and Bird(800k). All are not justifying the price of their contracts, with some estimates putting their combined price as high $4million+ per season. Keep in mind the cap is $9.5million. The 6 deadwood players in our 30 man squad are approaching 45% of our entire cap.

With the cap being so cooked, he has very minimal room to bring players in. Croft is the only player he’s signed that isn’t basically on minimum wage, and he’s still only on about $300k.

Seibold was fucked before a single ball was kicked, but he’s also shown that he doesn’t have the coaching chops to unfuck himself enough to survive until the clubs salary cap position is fixed.
Something tells me there will always be "deadwood" whilst siebolds coaches. I'm not saying there are not good value and bad value for money amongst our 32, but amongst those 32 players do we really believe, we don't have the quality to beat of team that most on this forum would struggle to fit more than a handful into our squad, let alone the starting 13.
If that's the case why did we just get thrashed by them?
2 years ago Oates was a favourite on this site. He was scoring tries almost at will. He isn't slower. He hasnt lost the ability to achieve that success, only the confidence and the will.
Some players have gotten better. But can we say that is because of the coach, or in spite of him. Haas and fiiffita have done so but are they really more than the big kids running over and around the little kids. Staggs can beat his opposite and if he is lucky can put a grubber through.
None of them have any combination with anyone else. And as for defence, the big fellas hit and the little fellas miss.
I guess coaching means they sometimes run together.

Is it just me or does this come across as a not so subtle backhand at the club and Seibold to others as well?

It's like Ash Taylor offering to "help" Milford.

Something tells me there will always be "deadwood" whilst siebolds coaches. I'm not saying there are not good value and bad value for money amongst our 32, but amongst those 32 players do we really believe, we don't have the quality to beat of team that most on this forum would struggle to fit more than a handful into our squad, let alone the starting 13.
If that's the case why did we just get thrashed by them?
2 years ago Oates was a favourite on this site. He was scoring tries almost at will. He isn't slower. He hasnt lost the ability to achieve that success, only the confidence and the will.
Some players have gotten better. But can we say that is because of the coach, or in spite of him. Haas and fiiffita have done so but are they really more than the big kids running over and around the little kids. Staggs can beat his opposite and if he is lucky can put a grubber through.
None of them have any combination with anyone else. And as for defence, the big fellas hit and the little fellas miss.
I guess coaching means they sometimes run together.
im not defending him. I’m just saying our cap is in a way worse position than it should be. I agree that there will always be deadwood as long as he is coach because he’ll be rightfully sacked before any of these players move on.

Last edited:
I tell you what, if I had a kid who was being rightly touted, I’d steer them clear of the Broncos too, wouldn’t even think twice about it and it pains me so much to say it. This is not a destination club for youth anymore and it hasn’t been for a long time. I’d send my kid to Melbourne or the Roosters, Canberra too but the Broncos would be pretty far down that list sadly. Feel free to fire away about not being a real fan, etc but it doesn’t change the reality of the situation.

These days it doesn't matter where you send your kids money comes first imo club second

I tell you what, if I had a kid who was being rightly touted, I’d steer them clear of the Broncos too, wouldn’t even think twice about it and it pains me so much to say it. This is not a destination club for youth anymore and it hasn’t been for a long time. I’d send my kid to Melbourne or the Roosters, Canberra too but the Broncos would be pretty far down that list sadly. Feel free to fire away about not being a real fan, etc but it doesn’t change the reality of the situation.

Agree 100%

Does anyone think Harry Grant would be doing what he is doing for the Tigers now if he didn’t come through the Storm development system? He was almost virtually an NRL debutant and in the space of a month has become the Tigers most valuable player.

If Harry Grant was in our system, he’d probably be turned into a Btech version of Andrew McCullough.

We haven’t developed a top tier half since Darren Lockyer.

We keep hearing how we let world class players slip from our grasps in Thurston, Smith, Cronk, etc. but does anyone think they would have had the careers they did had they all stayed in Brisbane? Most of their motivation was fuelled by Brisbane snubbing them as youngsters which is why they always went up an extra gear when they played us.

Everyone has been waiting for the day we turned into a mess of epic proportions. The club can just roll over and let people laugh at us or they can start to do something about it and actually act like a big club. Everyone from the board down should be accountable for what has transpired under everyone’s watch

In the same vein, proposed signings, regardless of age or skill, I feel are a bit pointless as I currently see them either regressing or being stunted.

Not even maintaining their standard, let alone improving.

No it is Broncos managements fault imo
100%. We sacked our last coach because the players were closer to the man who they see at training every day and does whatever he can to help them out than they were to the chairman. Our recruitment and retention committee has a bunch of people on it but the narrative from Fat Tony's supporters is just "Wayne ruined our cap for decades give the sub 40% wonderboy another five year deal to dig us out of the mess the previous coach alone left us in 😭😭😭."

The board and ceo should have been frogmarched out of Red Hill years ago.

100%. We sacked our last coach because the players were closer to the man who they see at training every day and does whatever he can to help them out than they were to the chairman. Our recruitment and retention committee has a bunch of people on it but the narrative from Fat Tony's supporters is just "Wayne ruined our cap for decades give the sub 40% wonderboy another five year deal to dig us out of the mess the previous coach alone left us in [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]."

The board and ceo should have been frogmarched out of Red Hill years ago.
I disagree, Paul White made the Broncos an economical powerhouse. That is his job.

It is the football departments jobs to win games.

I would love to see Kevvie back at the club, but I truly think we are in for the long hall with Siebs.

I also believe that when there aren't injuries every week, and we can play 1 - 17 for more than 2 weeks, we will see some positive results.

I disagree, Paul White made the Broncos an economical powerhouse. That is his job.

I would love to see Kevvie back at the club, but I truly think we are in for the long hall with Siebs.

I also believe that when there aren't injuries every week, and we can play 1 - 17 for more than 2 weeks, we will see some positive results.
I can to some extent appreciate the injury situation and agree it has undoubtedly played a significant role in our current situation. In particular against Parramatta and the Roosters it was quite a mismatch in class. Realistically though, we were blown away last week by the Knights who themselves got blown away by the Cowboys this week, and we just got soundly beaten by the Titans who have key injury issues themselves and even with the guys we still have out, are comfortably weaker on paper than we were.

The buck really should have stopped after this week for the people in charge. There are no more excuses left, but it appears that is now unlikely. Let me say this in no uncertain terms though, if this rabble fails to comfortably account for the Warriors this weekend, it's probably safer for the players and Coach to just miss their flight home and stay out of Brisbane for a very long time.

Last edited:
It’s true, we are in uncharted waters. A rudderless ship in the doldrums. From the top down so it seems. But brighter days ahead. Someone will come to save us. We just don't know who that will be or when, problem is nor do they, those at the top. All I know is I hope it’s real soon before our crew jumps ship as a lot of our fans have already done.
To only get 6k out of 10,000 available seats will be more worrying to those responsible then the horror match they watched. That in itself is the sad bit.

We haven’t developed a top tier half since Darren Lockyer.
I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks this, but I thought Locky was a better fullback (though obviously he did become an excellent FE).

I haven't been happy with our halves pairing since Langer and Walters.

Last edited:

Paul White leads contract negotiations with the players/agents. The Broncos have long been an economic powerhouse, given we're the only footy team in Brisbane and up until the last couple of years were always a decent team at worst. Selling merch and tickets to people who grew up watching Kevvie, Alfie, Locky et al isn't a hard task. Getting sponsorships for a club with the lion's share of fta tv slots, essentially guaranteed good on-field performances and finals spots every year is not a difficult task. But his successor might have a harder time of it, I'm not sure whether the same number of sponsors would want to stump up the same amount of cash to be associated with this team.

I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks this, but I thought Locky was a better fullback (though obviously he did become an excellent FE).

I haven't been happy with our halves pairing since Langer and Walters.
Realistically he was the best in the world at both positions when he played them, so I think it's probably splitting hairs to say he was better at one position than the other. I think sentimentally I enjoyed watching him at Fullback more, but that probably has more to do with feeling nostalgic about the Broncos sides he played Fullback in rather than just Lockyer as a 5/8 overall.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.