-NEWS- Chris Johns: bring Kevvie onto the bench

Allo

NRL Captain
In the same vein, proposed signings, regardless of age or skill, I feel are a bit pointless as I currently see them either regressing or being stunted.

Not even maintaining their standard, let alone improving.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
No it is Broncos managements fault imo
100%. We sacked our last coach because the players were closer to the man who they see at training every day and does whatever he can to help them out than they were to the chairman. Our recruitment and retention committee has a bunch of people on it but the narrative from Fat Tony's supporters is just "Wayne ruined our cap for decades give the sub 40% wonderboy another five year deal to dig us out of the mess the previous coach alone left us in 😭😭😭."

The board and ceo should have been frogmarched out of Red Hill years ago.

Mum-the-meatloaf

BRL Player
100%. We sacked our last coach because the players were closer to the man who they see at training every day and does whatever he can to help them out than they were to the chairman. Our recruitment and retention committee has a bunch of people on it but the narrative from Fat Tony's supporters is just "Wayne ruined our cap for decades give the sub 40% wonderboy another five year deal to dig us out of the mess the previous coach alone left us in ."

The board and ceo should have been frogmarched out of Red Hill years ago.
I disagree, Paul White made the Broncos an economical powerhouse. That is his job.

It is the football departments jobs to win games.

I would love to see Kevvie back at the club, but I truly think we are in for the long hall with Siebs.

I also believe that when there aren't injuries every week, and we can play 1 - 17 for more than 2 weeks, we will see some positive results.

kooly87

NRL Player
I disagree, Paul White made the Broncos an economical powerhouse. That is his job.

I would love to see Kevvie back at the club, but I truly think we are in for the long hall with Siebs.

I also believe that when there aren't injuries every week, and we can play 1 - 17 for more than 2 weeks, we will see some positive results.
I can to some extent appreciate the injury situation and agree it has undoubtedly played a significant role in our current situation. In particular against Parramatta and the Roosters it was quite a mismatch in class. Realistically though, we were blown away last week by the Knights who themselves got blown away by the Cowboys this week, and we just got soundly beaten by the Titans who have key injury issues themselves and even with the guys we still have out, are comfortably weaker on paper than we were.

The buck really should have stopped after this week for the people in charge. There are no more excuses left, but it appears that is now unlikely. Let me say this in no uncertain terms though, if this rabble fails to comfortably account for the Warriors this weekend, it's probably safer for the players and Coach to just miss their flight home and stay out of Brisbane for a very long time.

Last edited:

Gaz

NRL Player
It’s true, we are in uncharted waters. A rudderless ship in the doldrums. From the top down so it seems. But brighter days ahead. Someone will come to save us. We just don't know who that will be or when, problem is nor do they, those at the top. All I know is I hope it’s real soon before our crew jumps ship as a lot of our fans have already done.
To only get 6k out of 10,000 available seats will be more worrying to those responsible then the horror match they watched. That in itself is the sad bit.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo

Paul White leads contract negotiations with the players/agents. The Broncos have long been an economic powerhouse, given we're the only footy team in Brisbane and up until the last couple of years were always a decent team at worst. Selling merch and tickets to people who grew up watching Kevvie, Alfie, Locky et al isn't a hard task. Getting sponsorships for a club with the lion's share of fta tv slots, essentially guaranteed good on-field performances and finals spots every year is not a difficult task. But his successor might have a harder time of it, I'm not sure whether the same number of sponsors would want to stump up the same amount of cash to be associated with this team.

kooly87

NRL Player
I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks this, but I thought Locky was a better fullback (though obviously he did become an excellent FE).

I haven't been happy with our halves pairing since Langer and Walters.
Realistically he was the best in the world at both positions when he played them, so I think it's probably splitting hairs to say he was better at one position than the other. I think sentimentally I enjoyed watching him at Fullback more, but that probably has more to do with feeling nostalgic about the Broncos sides he played Fullback in rather than just Lockyer as a 5/8 overall.

Mum-the-meatloaf

BRL Player
Paul White leads contract negotiations with the players/agents. The Broncos have long been an economic powerhouse, given we're the only footy team in Brisbane and up until the last couple of years were always a decent team at worst. Selling merch and tickets to people who grew up watching Kevvie, Alfie, Locky et al isn't a hard task. Getting sponsorships for a club with the lion's share of fta tv slots, essentially guaranteed good on-field performances and finals spots every year is not a difficult task. But his successor might have a harder time of it, I'm not sure whether the same number of sponsors would want to stump up the same amount of cash to be associated with this team.
He is the CEO of the Broncos brand, which extends much further than football.

He is a good businessman.

If thing continue downward, maybe they look at the administrative structure's. Have more of a silo between operations and football.

Bring in Kevvie to assist, would be a very good start and adding to the football side of the business.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris

If thing continue downward, maybe they look at the administrative structure's. Have more of a silo between operations and football.

Bring in Kevvie to assist, would be a very good start and adding to the football side of the business.
Is Kevvie allowed to be an assistant coach even with his origin commitments?

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo

Is he? Based on what? From the time he's been here the club has lost focus on its actual product, lacked success on field, invited drama off the field, feels like we've lost our culture and we've definitely let our standards go. None of that spells good long term management to me. More the sort who comes in and enjoys short term profits at the minor cost of gutting ab organisation over the long term.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep

Paul Whites job is to help win premierships
That’s what the business is all about. We aren’t a leagues club, we are a sporting club who wants to win titles. He has failed miserably in that sector

Tom

State of Origin Captain
It would take a complete moron to become ceo of the broncos and not turn a good profit.

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Suncorp Stadium
not it's not.

Paul White's job is to run the Business and to ensure the fiscal health of the organisation.
Well, here’s a tip, Paul. When the team wins, crowds go up, merch sales go up, memberships go up, profits boom.
When the team consistently loses, the exact opposite happens.
One is a healthy organisation, one is not.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
not it's not.

Paul White's job is to run the Business and to ensure the fiscal health of the organisation.
It's the job of every single person in the organization to contribute to winning a premiership.
It's become apparent that an abundance of money isn't translating to wins at the Broncos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Volvo Driver

Twitter