-NEWS- Chris Johns: bring Kevvie onto the bench

Behold

BRL Player
I’m all for sacking Seibold but let’s be intelligent about our situation. We definitely hasn’t gotten rid of all the deadwood - Boyd (600-900k), Oates(500k), Offa(500k), Kahu(350-450k), Milford(1m), and Bird(800k). All are not justifying the price of their contracts, with some estimates putting their combined price as high $4million+ per season. Keep in mind the cap is $9.5million. The 6 deadwood players in our 30 man squad are approaching 45% of our entire cap.

With the cap being so cooked, he has very minimal room to bring players in. Croft is the only player he’s signed that isn’t basically on minimum wage, and he’s still only on about $300k.

Seibold was fucked before a single ball was kicked, but he’s also shown that he doesn’t have the coaching chops to unfuck himself enough to survive until the clubs salary cap position is fixed.
If you are unhappy with Offa on 500K how aren't you apoplectic with Lodge on 700 and TPJ on 650?

Fitzy

NYC Player
If Kevvie is happy to come back and help, by all means the club should approach him.

He's a great assistant coach. He's not fit to be a head coach, but he'll always be a great assistant. Much like Neil Henry.
Mate he is way fitter than half the idiots that get coaching roles these days... Last years origin is to prove for that... he almost got a fairly shithouse qld team up against a team double as good as ours

State of Origin Rep
What are the walker brothers doing atm?
Game atm seems really suited to them atm
Both aren’t involved at the moment but I’ll tell you now they’re 0 chance to be at the Broncos.

Ben directed Sam to the Roosters after the Broncos asked Sam to come in to hear their pitch- just catch an Uber and don’t tell your dad.

As opposed to flying Ben and Kylie down to Sydney, lunch with Politis and Robinson and explaining their football plans for Sam.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Both aren’t involved at the moment but I’ll tell you now they’re 0 chance to be at the Broncos.

Ben directed Sam to the Roosters after the Broncos asked Sam to come in to hear their pitch- just catch an Uber and don’t tell your dad.

As opposed to flying Ben and Kylie down to Sydney, lunch with Politis and Robinson and explaining their football plans for Sam.
But he was already signed to the Broncos at the time, right?

Fitzy

NYC Player
Really it doesn’t matter if Seibold wants his help.

It’s not Seibold’s call.

He has a responsibility to the QLD side. It comes down to whether they will allow him to come onto the coaching staff.
Kevvie has been allowed to coach (head/assistant) for years whilst maintaining the maroons job so that really doesn’t make a difference

theshed

NRL Captain
If you are unhappy with Offa on 500K how aren't you apoplectic with Lodge on 700 and TPJ on 650?
Lodge is another deadshit signing. Especially with how unsuited he is to the new rule. I’m biased about TPJ because I love him.

Galah

NRL Player
Brisbane
Lodge is another deadshit signing. Especially with how unsuited he is to the new rule. I’m biased about TPJ because I love him.
Why the **** we coughed up that much for lodge is beyond me, tpj on his day is a match winner. Honestly the lodge contract is silly he’s lucky to be playing footy full stop, had only just finished his second first grade season and wasn’t exactly consistent coupled with a pretty dodgy set of hands. I mean seriously 500k max for two or three year prove it contract, He should have been thanking his lucky stars.

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby

Just wow...cunts running the retention and recruitment

Thelmus

NRL Player
I’m all for sacking Seibold but let’s be intelligent about our situation. We definitely hasn’t gotten rid of all the deadwood - Boyd (600-900k), Oates(500k), Offa(500k), Kahu(350-450k), Milford(1m), and Bird(800k). All are not justifying the price of their contracts, with some estimates putting their combined price as high $4million+ per season. Keep in mind the cap is $9.5million. The 6 deadwood players in our 30 man squad are approaching 45% of our entire cap.

With the cap being so cooked, he has very minimal room to bring players in. Croft is the only player he’s signed that isn’t basically on minimum wage, and he’s still only on about $300k.

Seibold was fucked before a single ball was kicked, but he’s also shown that he doesn’t have the coaching chops to unfuck himself enough to survive until the clubs salary cap position is fixed.
Something tells me there will always be "deadwood" whilst siebolds coaches. I'm not saying there are not good value and bad value for money amongst our 32, but amongst those 32 players do we really believe, we don't have the quality to beat of team that most on this forum would struggle to fit more than a handful into our squad, let alone the starting 13.
If that's the case why did we just get thrashed by them?
2 years ago Oates was a favourite on this site. He was scoring tries almost at will. He isn't slower. He hasnt lost the ability to achieve that success, only the confidence and the will.
Some players have gotten better. But can we say that is because of the coach, or in spite of him. Haas and fiiffita have done so but are they really more than the big kids running over and around the little kids. Staggs can beat his opposite and if he is lucky can put a grubber through.
None of them have any combination with anyone else. And as for defence, the big fellas hit and the little fellas miss.
I guess coaching means they sometimes run together.

Kovik

BRL Player
Is it just me or does this come across as a not so subtle backhand at the club and Seibold to others as well?

It's like Ash Taylor offering to "help" Milford.

theshed

NRL Captain
Something tells me there will always be "deadwood" whilst siebolds coaches. I'm not saying there are not good value and bad value for money amongst our 32, but amongst those 32 players do we really believe, we don't have the quality to beat of team that most on this forum would struggle to fit more than a handful into our squad, let alone the starting 13.
If that's the case why did we just get thrashed by them?
2 years ago Oates was a favourite on this site. He was scoring tries almost at will. He isn't slower. He hasnt lost the ability to achieve that success, only the confidence and the will.
Some players have gotten better. But can we say that is because of the coach, or in spite of him. Haas and fiiffita have done so but are they really more than the big kids running over and around the little kids. Staggs can beat his opposite and if he is lucky can put a grubber through.
None of them have any combination with anyone else. And as for defence, the big fellas hit and the little fellas miss.
I guess coaching means they sometimes run together.
im not defending him. I’m just saying our cap is in a way worse position than it should be. I agree that there will always be deadwood as long as he is coach because he’ll be rightfully sacked before any of these players move on.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I tell you what, if I had a kid who was being rightly touted, I’d steer them clear of the Broncos too, wouldn’t even think twice about it and it pains me so much to say it. This is not a destination club for youth anymore and it hasn’t been for a long time. I’d send my kid to Melbourne or the Roosters, Canberra too but the Broncos would be pretty far down that list sadly. Feel free to fire away about not being a real fan, etc but it doesn’t change the reality of the situation.

Xzei

QCup Player
These days it doesn't matter where you send your kids money comes first imo club second

Purple Pills

QCup Player
I tell you what, if I had a kid who was being rightly touted, I’d steer them clear of the Broncos too, wouldn’t even think twice about it and it pains me so much to say it. This is not a destination club for youth anymore and it hasn’t been for a long time. I’d send my kid to Melbourne or the Roosters, Canberra too but the Broncos would be pretty far down that list sadly. Feel free to fire away about not being a real fan, etc but it doesn’t change the reality of the situation.
Agree 100%

Does anyone think Harry Grant would be doing what he is doing for the Tigers now if he didn’t come through the Storm development system? He was almost virtually an NRL debutant and in the space of a month has become the Tigers most valuable player.

If Harry Grant was in our system, he’d probably be turned into a Btech version of Andrew McCullough.

We haven’t developed a top tier half since Darren Lockyer.

We keep hearing how we let world class players slip from our grasps in Thurston, Smith, Cronk, etc. but does anyone think they would have had the careers they did had they all stayed in Brisbane? Most of their motivation was fuelled by Brisbane snubbing them as youngsters which is why they always went up an extra gear when they played us.

Everyone has been waiting for the day we turned into a mess of epic proportions. The club can just roll over and let people laugh at us or they can start to do something about it and actually act like a big club. Everyone from the board down should be accountable for what has transpired under everyone’s watch

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Volvo Driver

Twitter