Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I really hope he’s on the clubs radar. I think toward the end of last season he really emerged as one of the bets options

He's been my choice since 2018 if I ran a NRL club to get him for any level of involvement, but you have to wonder if he was at your feeder and you didn't want him are you really going to get him back from England?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Pretty sure most clubs don’t stand in the way of a head NRL deal. It’s often in the contract.

Particularly when you get a head coach from Australia. Same way Norths didn't stand in his way and let him go.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
It’s been tempting to criticise the entitled, disrespectful, stupid playing but there has been SO many of these incidents specifically at our club that there has to be more to it.

Are our players really so disproportionally more entitled, arrogant and spoilt than all the other similar players at other clubs?
That was our explanation before, but now we’ve turned over almost the entire playing squad from the Seibold years and instilled new player leadership and still the playing group is apparently rotten.

Maybe these players need a strong coach who has the respect of the playing group and can mentor these young guys and help them avoid some of these ridiculously obvious pitfalls. Maybe that’s what’s lacking and creating a situation where the players, without leadership, are free to run wild and make mistakes which continuously give the club a black eye.

We’ve blamed the playing group for so long and now there’s been 2 completely different squads with the same problem - maybe the players are no different from any of the other rich, entitled, inexperienced, big-ego, arrogant young superstars at other clubs and it’s the systems and structures at this club and lack of strong role models for these guys that is the real problem.

I don’t have any other explanation that could explain everything we’ve seen.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
He's been my choice since 2018 if I ran a NRL club to get him for any level of involvement, but you have to wonder if he was at your feeder and you didn't want him are you really going to get him back from England?
I would like to hope they wanted to see how he went in England with another head coaching role. Though what I actually expect is there is still a level of fairly low competence at the club.

I have been increasingly unimpressed with Donaghy unfortunately.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Pretty sure most clubs don’t stand in the way of a head NRL deal. It’s often in the contract.
Still a dick move. Unless it's a direct swap.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Give the Walker brothers their shot.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
It’s not like every other team has access to a time machine and are filling their squads with 20 year olds from that 1940’s. Every team is dealing with the same generation yet they aren’t all having the same issues.
It’s been tempting to criticise the entitled, disrespectful, stupid playing but there has been SO many of these incidents specifically at our club that there has to be more to it.

Are our players really so disproportionally more entitled, arrogant and spoilt than all the other similar players at other clubs?
That was our explanation before, but now we’ve turned over almost the entire playing squad from the Seibold years and instilled new player leadership and still the playing group is apparently rotten.

Maybe these players need a strong coach who has the respect of the playing group and can mentor these young guys and help them avoid some of these ridiculously obvious pitfalls. Maybe that’s what’s lacking and creating a situation where the players, without leadership, are free to run wild and make mistakes which continuously give the club a black eye.

We’ve blamed the playing group for so long and now there’s been 2 completely different squads with the same problem - maybe the players are no different from any of the other rich, entitled, inexperienced, big-ego, arrogant young superstars at other clubs and it’s the systems and structures at this club and lack of strong role models for these guys that is the real problem.

I don’t have any other explanation that could explain everything we’ve seen.
it's because we get so many of the best kids coming through and majority of them have huge egos , so when you try and build a team with so many of them without having senior stars around them to pull their heads in it gets ugly.
you need to bring these youngsters in with quality mature players that they can look up to and set standards, not have them running the show.
that's my take on it and I think getting rid of Wayne and putting rookie coaches in this situation has made it worse.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
it's because we get so many of the best kids coming through and majority of them have huge egos , so when you try and build a team with so many of them without having senior stars around them to pull their heads in it gets ugly.
you need to bring these youngsters in with quality mature players that they can look up to and set standards, not have them running the show.
that's my take on it and I think getting rid of Wayne and putting rookie coaches in this situation has made it worse.
No arguments from me regarding Wayne or not having enough senior players. I think the club has still failed to bring enough experience into the team and if that meant losing guys like Staggs or Haas in exchange for a Funicane type than I would have fully supported it.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
No arguments from me regarding Wayne or not having enough senior players. I think the club has still failed to bring enough experience into the team and if that meant losing guys like Staggs or Haas in exchange for a Funicane type than I would have fully supported it.

You've got to get to come though. The club tried it with Welch even but he wanted to stay at Melbourne.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
for sure because it's all about balance .

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
You've got to get to come though. The club tried it with Welch even but he wanted to stay at Melbourne.
also Gagai who would have been great for cobbo and mariner

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I would like to hope they wanted to see how he went in England with another head coaching role. Though what I actually expect is there is still a level of fairly low competence at the club.

I have been increasingly unimpressed with Donaghy unfortunately.
surely ikin would be all over this though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Manlyman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.