Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Walters:

“Certainly it did hurt, yeah, it was disappointing in that regard. We spoke about it, had a good chat. I won’t say father and son but along those lines. Knowing Selwyn as I do and as we do at the club, it was probably a little bit out of line from Selwyn. It’s not normally in his character to be like that. He rang me pretty early in the morning when it all surfaced and was very apologetic."​
“Even the great Wayne Bennett’s got his critics. I’m no different. I’m a big believer in what we’re doing here and how we’re going about it. We’ll stay on that path and it’s great that Selwyn will be on that path as well."​
“We’ve all learnt from it, certainly myself and also Selwyn. We’ll get on with things and look forward to building a great future here with Selwyn and the Broncos.”​

The video gives a very different feeling to whats written.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
its not up to the fans
Fans can influence it. During 20/21 when were were absolutely disgusting I was really hoping we started to get 5k fans to home games, but we kept managing 20k plus. I bet the NRL would start giving us an easier draw instead of up against all the top sides twice if people stopped tuning in and turning up to the games.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020

Selwyns take on playing fullback.
He thinks playing wing is hard because the fitness, yet wants to be fullback.
Also reckons Walsh is playing in the halves.
Seems to think he's actually got a good shot at being the first choice 1 after this podcast.

This was a tough watch and it was only 4mins. Both of them struggle with English, I'm not convinced it's their first language.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
This was a tough watch and it was only 4mins. Both of them struggle with English, I'm not convinced it's their first language.
I sat through the whole thing. Barely any of it is of interest to this board. Most of it is "how awesome is NZ, bro?" But don't quote me on that, I can barely remember any of it. It's all bumbling drivel, except for the question about Kevvie, which didn't come until near the end.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
just saw an interview with Oates on the Fox Sports web site.

they had footage of training and Cobbo was wearing the renegades singlet

Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Deep in the Heart of Queensland
Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
How this has all played out .. I just can't help but feel that it will end up being a blessing in disguise for all concerned. Best case scenario .. this situation has significant potential to be the catalyst for real and honest change. I'd suspect that over the next 24-48 hours some of the players and staff might just find themselves spending some quality alone time, in some deep self-reflection into their own character and actions. Instead of looking outward and casting blame, each need to be honest with themselves in identifying their own flaws first. Kevin is the leader, so it has to start with him. He absolutely needs to recognise that he might be being a bit selfish and self-centered by being so stubborn, and set in his ways. He also needs to be 100% open to at least listening and considering the thoughts and opinions of the people around him. If they players see, hear or sense this change in him .. they will follow.

As for Selwyn - I didn't watch the podcast in full .. but this podcaster .. is he a 'friend' or 'mate' of Selwyn's? I know they had a couple of drinks prior or during .. was the alcohol supplied by the NZ dude?

Regardless, I won't be sneaking into my BHQ profile, and removing Selwyn as my fave player just yet lol 😉

That old saying .. "united we stand, divided we fall" .. has stood the test of time, for a reason. Start throwing it around a bit Kev. You have nothing to lose, but everything to gain. 👏

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Oates:
“I would definitely back Kevvie, yes. I’ve been here through a lot of things and I think Kevvie’s doing a great job. He’s finding out the sort of coach he is and what sort of players he’s dealing with. It’s not easy to do when you’ve got a team that’s struggled for so many years. He’s done a great job to be honest. He’s brought really good players to the club and is getting boys to perform. To me, that’s a coach on the way to really knowing who they are as a coach. I think he’s doing a really good job.”​
“It would be hard, but I’ve known Kevvie for a long time and he is someone that will forgive really quickly. As long as you front up and own it face-to-face he is definitely the sort of bloke that will be more appreciative of that. If they drag on, yes it can be a distraction, but they knocked it on the head straight away that day. If you front it straight up and not try to hide from it you can move on."​
“Cobbo owned up and spoke to Kevvie. If he didn’t do that it would drag on. They dealt with it the right way and you move on now.”​

Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
Oates:
“I would definitely back Kevvie, yes. I’ve been here through a lot of things and I think Kevvie’s doing a great job. He’s finding out the sort of coach he is and what sort of players he’s dealing with. It’s not easy to do when you’ve got a team that’s struggled for so many years. He’s done a great job to be honest. He’s brought really good players to the club and is getting boys to perform. To me, that’s a coach on the way to really knowing who they are as a coach. I think he’s doing a really good job.”​
“It would be hard, but I’ve known Kevvie for a long time and he is someone that will forgive really quickly. As long as you front up and own it face-to-face he is definitely the sort of bloke that will be more appreciative of that. If they drag on, yes it can be a distraction, but they knocked it on the head straight away that day. If you front it straight up and not try to hide from it you can move on."​
“Cobbo owned up and spoke to Kevvie. If he didn’t do that it would drag on. They dealt with it the right way and you move on now.”​
Just read this 20 minutes ago on CM. Did you see the headline though?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Just read this 20 minutes ago on CM. Did you see the headline though?
This one? Might be a bit of an oversell.

Screenshot 2023 01 10 at 16 36 20 The Courier Mail Breaking News Headlines for Brisbane and Qu

He's looking pumped.

Screenf86dacc0dea474971e9cd517cfdf0748

Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Contributor
Nov 9, 2022

"Kevin Walters supporter slams Selwyn Cobbo claims as Broncos try to limit damage​

A senior Broncos player has slammed Selwyn Cobbo’s assertion about Kevin Walters’ coaching ability as pressure mounts on the Brisbane mentor."

"Slammed" - So melodramatic. So predictable. So boring.

Oatsey is simply voicing his opinion. Just like Selwyn did.

And the other thing I noticed .. just hours ago, Broncos hierarchy said no media unless approved by management? *rollseyes*

So management must have approved this. Gotta question whether they wrote this statement also. As a lil payback perhaps? Evening up the scores? Because what else can it be?

They just couldn't leave it alone could they. *sigh*

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

"Kevin Walters supporter slams Selwyn Cobbo claims as Broncos try to limit damage​

A senior Broncos player has slammed Selwyn Cobbo’s assertion about Kevin Walters’ coaching ability as pressure mounts on the Brisbane mentor."

"Slammed" - So melodramatic. So predictable. So boring.
The sub editor was trying to have a bit of fun with it, I think. Probably a junior temp filling in over the summer break, playing tabloids. That's how it reads to me.

I agree though, as much fun as it is to turn up the heat in headlines and ledes, it cheapens the publication. The Courier Mail has been leaning a bit into that direction sometimes - absolutely the travel section. A shame really, given the long history of the newspaper and how important it is to QLD.

I seem to find myself continually explaining that journalists almost never write their headlines, but I've never made any headway with it.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
How this has all played out .. I just can't help but feel that it will end up being a blessing in disguise for all concerned. Best case scenario .. this situation has significant potential to be the catalyst for real and honest change. I'd suspect that over the next 24-48 hours some of the players and staff might just find themselves spending some quality alone time, in some deep self-reflection into their own character and actions. Instead of looking outward and casting blame, each need to be honest with themselves in identifying their own flaws first. Kevin is the leader, so it has to start with him. He absolutely needs to recognise that he might be being a bit selfish and self-centered by being so stubborn, and set in his ways. He also needs to be 100% open to at least listening and considering the thoughts and opinions of the people around him. If they players see, hear or sense this change in him .. they will follow.

As for Selwyn - I didn't watch the podcast in full .. but this podcaster .. is he a 'friend' or 'mate' of Selwyn's? I know they had a couple of drinks prior or during .. was the alcohol supplied by the NZ dude?

Regardless, I won't be sneaking into my BHQ profile, and removing Selwyn as my fave player just yet lol 😉

That old saying .. "united we stand, divided we fall" .. has stood the test of time, for a reason. Start throwing it around a bit Kev. You have nothing to lose, but everything to gain. 👏
I've painfully watched about half the podcast so far and one thing is Selwyn needs to surround himself with better people I reckon, not sure who the bloke in the background is apparently it's the guy who he stays with in brissy but he's led him on a 2 week bender round the slums of NZ by the sounds of it, wouldn't surprise me if Selwyns fitness levels are real down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ostin86
  • broncsgoat
  • john1420
  • Foordy
  • RolledOates
  • HarryAllan7
  • bazza
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.