Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly has he done? Been a hatchet man (thankfully) with enough good will to not be rammed from the media and old boys for forcing out so many players. Don’t need 3 years to do that

In a nutshell - yeah that’s about it. He’s taken punches and has smiled and asked for another and the media have loved him for it.

No-one thought he would deliver any premierships during his tenure we’ve never had the squad for it and we still don’t this year.

I’m not a Walters man, even if we are outright 1st on the ladder when he begins talks about his future I hope it’s a short meeting with him walking away with dignity in tact & knowing we just need someone else more suitable to move us forward.

In a nutshell - yeah that’s about it. He’s taken punches and has smiled and asked for another and the media have loved him for it.

No-one thought he would deliver any premierships during his tenure we’ve never had the squad for it and we still don’t this year.

I’m not a Walters man, even if we are outright 1st on the ladder when he begins talks about his future I hope it’s a short meeting with him walking away with dignity in tact & knowing we just need someone else more suitable to move us forward.
Completely agree.

Kevvie’s staff changes for next season were very underwhelming in light of what donuts footy department review must have uncovered. Unless the process was flawed and the players weren’t forthright in their assessment…? I would have thought the review would be conducted by an independent third party with players responses anonymous if you want to really know what they think?
surprise no update about Kearney

The crosses are mounting for KW.

He hasn't fixed the culture if players are openly challenging his coaching.
Hasn't achieved harmony within the group.
He hasn't built a spine as much as got lucky with a 7 & 1 coming on the market.
Hasn't secured an NRL quality starting 9 which we desperatly need, or even tried, seemingly.
Couldn't get Dearden on track despite being an international half himself

Cobbo is more than likely repeating the the thoughts of others is my take and Kev is learning that being head coach is so much more than footy knowledge.

Our squad is decent but out of shape. Every successful team over the last 20 years has been built around 6 7 9 1 and we are very thin in those areas if we get injuries.
I think most of us have been of the same opinion as Selwyn for a while, good bloke but can he coach??

I just don't know where our club is headed beyond mid table finishes and this is a story that will only be killed by wins.

The crosses are mounting for KW.

He hasn't fixed the culture if players are openly challenging his coaching.
Hasn't achieved harmony within the group.
He hasn't built a spine as much as got lucky with a 7 & 1 coming on the market.
Hasn't secured an NRL quality starting 9 which we desperatly need, or even tried, seemingly.
Couldn't get Dearden on track despite being an international half himself

Cobbo is more than likely repeating the the thoughts of others is my take and Kev is learning that being head coach is so much more than footy knowledge.

Our squad is decent but out of shape. Every successful team over the last 20 years has been built around 6 7 9 1 and we are very thin in those areas if we get injuries.
I think most of us have been of the same opinion as Selwyn for a while, good bloke but can he coach??

I just don't know where our club is headed beyond mid table finishes and this is a story that will only be killed by wins.
While my thoughts on Kev are well known, it’s not all negative. I think w have an extremely good team that is fairly well balanced and the balance is only going to improve as young guys develop into experienced first graders. 2024 is probably the closest thing we’ll have to a premiership window for awhile and then it’s a matter of holding the core of the team together while we try and find a replacement for Reynolds.

I agree with both of the last two posts. I’d add that my major disappointment was despite everyone and their dog knowing we needed to bring in some real quality assistants over the off season the movement in that area has been so underwhelming.

This is what my major source of annoyance is with Kevvie. You had the chance to bring in some serious help but chose to continue on like a fart in a trance.

Love him or loathe him he is unmistakably killing his own career at the club he loves with his failure to act decisively.

I agree with both of the last two posts. I’d add that my major disappointment was despite everyone and their dog knowing we needed to bring in some real quality assistants over the off season the movement in that area has been so underwhelming.

This is what my major source of annoyance is with Kevvie. You had the chance to bring in some serious help but chose to continue on like a fart in a trance.

Love him or loathe him he is unmistakably killing his own career at the club he loves with his failure to act decisively.
Yeah I almost made a post about that exact thing the other day. Big talk of the end of season review and opening the cheque book to get the right team around him and basically nothing happened.

While my thoughts on Kev are well known, it’s not all negative. I think w have an extremely good team that is fairly well balanced and the balance is only going to improve as young guys develop into experienced first graders. 2024 is probably the closest thing we’ll have to a premiership window for awhile and then it’s a matter of holding the core of the team together while we try and find a replacement for Reynolds.
I think we have a good starting 13/17 when fully fit; however I had more hope last year because of the depth we had available.

Ins and outs for this year are:
Ins:
- Walsh (top 5-10 fullback in the comp... although question marks on his defence. He's an absolutely quality signing that I can see entering the leadership group very soon)
- Jock Madden (covers halves and considered a promising player; however he is lacking in NRL experience. If Reynolds goes down then Jock will have to be our starting 7 and will be relied on as the primary kicker)
- Arthars (returning from a loan deal and covers the outside backs; however he has never been able to hold down a starting spot in his career and we were happy to let him go on loan after he was surpassed by other depth the year before)
- Smoothy (Unknowns on whether he can make the step up to NRL... also only on a development deal (limitations on availability until Rd 11) and represents the 4th hooker we have on the books

Outs:
- Brenko (Not a superstar, but can easily cover centre if someone goes down)
- Gamble (No superstar again, but covered halves and won us games as the starting halfback)
- TMM (was on a development deal and covered fullback and halves... earning his way to the starting fullback)
- Tesi (covers fullback... our best fullback cover now requires a starting centre or winger to be moved)
- Kelly (Starting 6 at the start of the year... covered 6 and 7)
- Hosking (back row cover and can play 80mins reliably)
- Ryan James (was looking old and slowing down, but he was experienced and could be brought into the 17 during dire situations)
- Rhys Kennedy (not making the 17 regularly, but was first grade standard depth to cover the middles)
- Mead (not overly needed last year, but showed the year before that he could be relied on if needed)
- Turpin (played poorly throughout the year and no massive loss, but if required he could play big minutes at hooker in dire circumstances)

Based on the above there is a massive imbalance between the ins and outs suggesting a number of players have simply been upgraded to Top 30 deals rather than recruiting to replace the departures... so our depth has gone from experienced first graders to promising kids.

I've seen this story before when we tried it in 2020

I think once the footy starts it won't be all doom and gloom like it is in this thread. People have short memories, for a big chunk of last season we were every bit a top 4 team

And look what happened, I doubt the news corp stooge chairman will want another one.

although, if we're talking about Hasler ... He'd actually be right for a change.

look at what's happened to all clubs Hasler has had full control over. it's just a matter of time before they implode (especially in regards to their salary caps)

I think once the footy starts it won't be all doom and gloom like it is in this thread. People have short memories, for a big chunk of last season we were every bit a top 4 team
Depends on how we perform. The doom and gloom just may get worse.
Especially if we perform consistent with previous run ins with our first few opponents .

Round 1 Penrith:
12 - 40
12 -18
12 -20

Round 2 Cowboys:
26 - 40
12 - 38
37 -18

Round 3 Dragons
12 - 22
32 - 18
24 - 52

Round 4 Dolphins
?

Round 5 Tigers
18 -32
24 - 42
0 - 48

Excluding the Dolphins we have only won 2 of our last 12 games against the first 4 teams we face this season.
For and Against:
222 - 388

Season 4 Michael GIF by The Office

Depends on how we perform. The doom and gloom just may get worse.
Especially if we perform consistent with previous run ins with our first few opponents .

Round 1 Penrith:
12 - 40
12 -18
12 -20

Round 2 Cowboys:
26 - 40
12 - 38
37 -18

Round 3 Dragons
12 - 22
32 - 18
24 - 52

Round 4 Dolphins
?

Round 5 Tigers
18 -32
24 - 42
0 - 48

Excluding the Dolphins we have only won 2 of our last 12 games against the first 4 teams we face this season.
For and Against:
222 - 388

Well if that happens and we are 1-4 or something like that you guys will likely get your wish and Kevvie will be told his time is almost up.

Well if that happens and we are 1-4 or something like that you guys will likely get your wish and Kevvie will be told his time is almost up.
Well tbf my wish is that we are 5-0 after round 5 and Kev leads us to a premiership and becomes the next Wayne Bennett going on to a decade of dominance.

Sacking Kev isn’t my wish, if things don’t improve sacking Kev is just being pragmatic. .

Well tbf my wish is that we are 5-0 after round 5 and Kev leads us to a premiership and becomes the next Wayne Bennett going on to a decade of dominance.

Sacking Kev isn’t my wish, if things don’t improve sacking Kev is just being pragmatic. .
I don’t want to see him sacked. I want to see him replaced. Happy for him to stay on as assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.