CONFIRMED - Adam Blair to Broncos

So if the media report something that's negative it's speculation, but if it is positive its fact?
Simplistic. Child like . That's a strange conclusion to draw. Whether negative or positive if the facts are unknown then the conclusions must be suspect. An intelligent person will get that. Just because you didn't see the view I put forth doesn't invalidate that view.

I'll try an make it as simple as possible, that may help you.

Unknown variables ( wages,conditions ) equals unknown pay gaps. Naturally in this case I'm referring to the monies involved in the players movements.

No insinuations. What is obvious is that no one knows so any statements regarding the monies paid or received should be disregarded. The Broncos are a business first and as such would behave in a business like manner,they are not stupid and would not squander money. Whatever Blair cost I feel certain it would be value for money and I expect WB will get the most out of him.

Morkel, you speak of gaps but in reality you know nothing about how big or small the gap is, you can speculate but that's all.I wouldn't be surprised to learn we are paying around the same in a real sense for Blair as we paid for Kennedy. We lose a bit paying a portion of Kennedys salary but gain a bit from Blairs former employer. No matter, I have no problem with people voicing an opinion but perhaps instead of insisting their view is incontrovertible they could allow for the fact that they may be totally wrong.

Like I said, we don't know the exact figures. But surely you'd agree that if one figure is roughly $450k, the other is roughly $80k, then even allowing for a huge discrepancy we're still talking a couple of hundred gees that the Broncos will be paying.

By the same token, if we have no idea what Blair's contract value is, surely you can't make an argument that the Tigers are paying part of his contract for 2015?

Well, if it is confirmed, then....Welcome to the Broncos Adam Blair, i trust you will make the most of this opportunity presented to you out of the blue...

(suppresses urge to spew invective all over the blog about this...) :tape:

Like I said, we don't know the exact figures. But surely you'd agree that if one figure is roughly $450k, the other is roughly $80k, then even allowing for a huge discrepancy we're still talking a couple of hundred gees that the Broncos will be paying.

By the same token, if we have no idea what Blair's contract value is, surely you can't make an argument that the Tigers are paying part of his contract for 2015?
I'm not arguing for anything or anyone ffs. I'm just saying if we don't know we dont fucking know. Anything else is speculation.

EDIT: inappropriate content

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably going to get yelled at on here for saying this but I think its a great signing for a couple of reasons.

1 - Blair has played in some big games and his experience will be handy at the back end of the season if we make the finals
2 - Having Blair start at prop allows for more impact off the bench
3 - He doesnt play Origin which is a huge bonus for us.

I think this forward pack is pretty good if you ask me.

8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Gavet
16. Garbutt
17. Oates

Out of the six starting only one hasnt played international footy. I look at the bench and think Impact.

I'm not arguing for anything or anyone ffs. I'm just saying if we don't know we dont fucking know. Anything else is speculation.

Correct. Like saying that Blair & Kennedy cancel each other out because their old employer is chipping in. You don't know. We don't know. But we can speculate based on what's been reported. How about from now on, everyone puts a ~ symbol next to any monetary figure that's posted here, to remind us that it's purely speculation. Or we can just, you know, KNOW that anyway.

I'm probably going to get yelled at on here for saying this but I think its a great signing for a couple of reasons. 1 - Blair has played in some big games and his experience will be handy at the back end of the season if we make the finals 2 - Having Blair start at prop allows for more impact off the bench 3 - He doesnt play Origin which is a huge bonus for us. I think this forward pack is pretty good if you ask me. 8. McGuire 9. Macca 10. Blair 11. Glenn 12. Thaiday 13. Parker 14. Gillett 15. Gavet 16. Garbutt 17. Oates Out of the six starting only one hasnt played international footy. I look at the bench and think Impact.

I'm with you Donald. I actually thinks it's a very astute signing and all the indicators point to him being happy in Brisbane. Happy off the field usually translates to good performances on it.

WB doesn't pay overs for props so i think Blair would be at a fair price for us

I'm with you Donald. I actually thinks it's a very astute signing and all the indicators point to him being happy in Brisbane. Happy off the field usually translates to good performances on it.

It certainly helps, but also internal motivation, how he fits into the team, the desire to play hard, train hard and play for his teammates and coach, where he fits in the bigger scheme and identity of the club, how the fans perceive his transfer - are all equally going to play a HUGE part in any import's performances.

Brisbane has, IMO, been a graveyard or a place for enigmatic/confidence/impact players to simply plateau or regress.

Cases in point: Barba, Mundine, Ben Te'o, Scotty Prince

There's either too much pressure to immediately perform from media and fans, a lack of passion or identity or perhaps too many other high profile players to pick up the slack for the imports to take ownership of their time here.

Here: Blair is a infamously lazy player. He's not a forward leader. His best is arguably behind him and overstated due to it being in a illegal Storm team - he's best off the back of others hard work. He's got nothing really to prove, on a decent pay check and little real competition for his spot.

I'm guessing Bennett will lean heavily on Parker and McGuire as workers (with Garbutt/Wallace in rotation) with Blair and Thaiday roaming impact players.

What is the psychological angle Bennett will use to motivate Blair... I don't know.

EDIT: inappropriate content
Pretty sure everyone here took the talk of wages as speculative and had the decency to respect that this is a forum where people are expressing their views without having to stamp each and every post with tags like #moderatespeculation #thisisonlymyview

Maybe stop talking so condescendingly to everyone else and people might listen to what you actually have to say more often.

I haven't been on in a while so apologies if i'm just repeating what others have said.

I think this is a huge signing. I may have let out a fist pump when I heard the news on the radio.

Everyone knows this guy has class, he showed that at the Storm. Mabye the Tigs just weren't the right for for him. Also, you don't play 30 tests for NZ if your a dud. Bennets already worked with him so he knows what he's getting so I trust in Bennet.

A starting front row of McGuire and Blair is great. You have Oates/Gavet/co coming off the bench too. Infinitely better then Hannant/Kennedy/Hala imo. This means Sammy and Corey get to move into the backrow which is where they're at their damaging best.

Re: [RUMOUR] Adam Blair to Broncos

Some alarm bells should be ringing around this place. It's getting ridiculous.

Blair and Boyd are both representative quality. You lot would seemingly bet the farm on a bunch of Under 20's or ISC level players at best who have never even played A grade, let alone excelled at it.

That was a wonderful outcome for the 'Norman, Hoffman, McCullough, Glenn, Reed, Gillett and Hunt' crop only one of whom actually turned out to be (and only for one season so far) the dominant player he was expected to become and collectively along with some poor coaching choices, this group has led our club to be the worst (performance-wise) it has ever been.

By all means then, lets just race into a completely untested crop of youngsters and lets forget all these current international reps that apparently WANT to play for us...

haha... great plost twist!

awesome post

I thought people on this forum argued that props don't hit their prime until their late 20s/early 30s? That's what I heard when we signed Garbutt, a bloke who's played a total of seven first class games for a 'legal' Storm team. I'm not going to lambast Bennett for signing a thirty test player who he thinks he can get the most out of. You can talk up Gavet, Garbutt, JoeO (who I think has immense potential, but is untested), but the fact is that they are either fringe first graders, way too young, haven't performed, or are walking injuries. McQuire is a great player, but shouldn't shoulder the load.

Also keep in mind that this Blair signing may very well have been a three way trade (Kennedy - Rooster. Blair - Brisbane. FPN - Tigers). I personally think we got the best out of that deal.

I thought people on this forum argued that props don't hit their prime until their late 20s/early 30s? That's what I heard when we signed Garbutt, a bloke who's played a total of seven first class games for a 'legal' Storm team. I'm not going to lambast Bennett for signing a thirty test player who he thinks he can get the most out of. You can talk up Gavet, Garbutt, JoeO (who I think has immense potential, but is untested), but the fact is that they are either fringe first graders, way too young, haven't performed, or are walking injuries. McQuire is a great player, but shouldn't shoulder the load.

Also keep in mind that this Blair signing may very well have been a three way trade (Kennedy - Rooster. Blair - Brisbane. FPN - Tigers). I personally think we got the best out of that deal.

"People on this forum" is a wide reaching group.

Don't get me wrong, I'm of the belief that a lot of props do hit their prime in their late 20's but with that being said, some props in their early 20's well before their prime are much better than an average prop in his prime.

I'm not singling you out specifically but too many people use the BHQ said this as though we're all like minded thinkers.

I've already said I don't mind the Blair signing if it's at the right price, but there's been no reports on what that salary is so for the time being I'll just wait and see how he plays before I really judge him. I think at his best he'll provide good value, at his worst, he'll be a waste of salary cap space.

I'm probably going to get yelled at on here for saying this but I think its a great signing for a couple of reasons.

1 - Blair has played in some big games and his experience will be handy at the back end of the season if we make the finals
2 - Having Blair start at prop allows for more impact off the bench
3 - He doesnt play Origin which is a huge bonus for us.

I think this forward pack is pretty good if you ask me.

8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Gavet
16. Garbutt
17. Oates

Out of the six starting only one hasnt played international footy. I look at the bench and think Impact.

That's perfect, and we're well covered for Blair being a dud as well. Just give Garbutt his starting spot and bring the best performer out of Dodds, Ofahengaue or Molo onto the bench.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Spooky1013
  • Browny
  • barker
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • RolledOates
  • thenry
  • Spoon
  • Adammacca
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manofoneway
  • Dazza 92
... and 55 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.