[Confirmed] Ben Barba signs with Cronulla

Re: [RUMOUR] Ben Barba to Cronulla

I am 100% behind this.

I would add Michael Gordon to the list of FB's I have ahead of Boyd, and also Kahu, although the latter only on potential, as he hasn't done anything at NRL level to prove it.

C'mon your putting on the list someone that has never played the position in the nrl based on potential?

**** me, quick someone ask me who I place ahead of barba, I 'potentially' have heaps of answers

C'mon your putting on the list someone that has never played the position in the nrl based on potential?

**** me, quick someone ask me who I place ahead of barba, I 'potentially' have heaps of answers
I've seen Kahu play plenty of fullback, admittedly not in the NRL like I said, but I know what he's capable of.
Believe it or not, this is my honest opinion, not something to suit my agenda...

As much as everyone thinks Bennett is blinded by his friendship with Boyd, I honestly don't think he would've cleaned house like he did if he wasn't 100% confident in Boyd getting back to premiership winning form.

I have faith in both of them, and until they prove me wrong, I always will.
5289465+_b5033e41c86914e0f0ba519f50f2f4e0.jpg

No way Hayne should be on the list, he's gone.

Ditto Michael Morgan, as I think he's awful.

But isn't Dugan playing fullback in 2015? Or at least has asked to audition for both stars.

Since Milford is going to play 5/8th no matter what though, Barba should have been our fullback.

Lol....man the air raid sirens, let the bombing begin.

Every single opposition team knows by now that they're a better than even money chance of scoring when they kick it high to Barba.

Thats BS and you know it.

I am 100% behind this.

I would add Michael Gordon to the list of FB's I have ahead of Boyd, and also Kahu, although the latter only on potential, as he hasn't done anything at NRL level to prove it.

He's got this year to redeem himself IMO. Played like absolute ass this year. For his sake, I hope it was due to the loss of Carney, shit going on behind the scenes etc.

I'm starting to really think that you guys firstly didn't watch many bulldogs games in 2012, and secondly haven't even watched the 11 minute highlights video of Barbas 2012 lol.

having a "monster forward pack" or a coach devising structures around you means jack-**** when the other team boots the ball downfield and Barba carves them up and runs the length of the field by himself to score. he didnt just do this once, or twice, or 3 times - he did it pretty much once a week, either scoring himself or putting someone else in.

Seriously - go watch the video now, then come back and tell me he was only good in 2012 because of the coaching and the forwards.

Fair dinkum, mate we saw the clip and a closer examination of it makes me think it's not as impressive as you're making it out to be.

I am a believer in you can only beat who is in front of you but recent Broncos seasons have caused me to rethink that to a certain extent. It's why I never really got carried away over our strong win against Manly this year as the timing of the game, injuries etc prove to have a big impact. We didn't really build on that win like we should have and they accounted for us pretty easily in the return bout.

Back on Barba, I watched that "season to remember" ciip - not sure if it's the video you're referring to or how much overlap there is but put some of those tries into context. Firstly, support play was an integral part in a lot of them. Since ours at the Broncos has been non-existent the last few years I'm going to say it's something that probably does need coaching and instilling. It's not a given as every team wold be doing it. If some of his Bulldogs team mates aren't playing "Johnny on the spot" then all they are a just fancy linebreaks.

Now let's look at the tries themselves. The clip highlights tries against the Titans, Tigers, Roosters, Warriors and Eels - which all missed the top 8 and most of them finished with pretty woeful defensive records. In fact, the only try I watched that is remotely like the Barba you described was against the Eels who won the wooden spoon that year. I'm guessing he didn't have to sidestep some awesome defense for that one.

His performance against Melbourne in Mackay was outstanding, no argument from me there but in the next encounter (which I guess was the GF) the Storm had him worked out and he probably had his worst game that year.

Seriously ap, if you're going to rely on 2012 form to press Barba's claims you need to be a bit more realistic and less nostalgic.

I've seen Kahu play plenty of fullback, admittedly not in the NRL like I said, but I know what he's capable of.
Believe it or not, this is my honest opinion, not something to suit my agenda...
I agree. I would like to see Kahu get a run at fullback

Better tune into the Seagulls. :thefinger:

His performance against Melbourne in Mackay was outstanding, no argument from me there but in the next encounter (which I guess was the GF) the Storm had him worked out and he probably had his worst game that year.

Lot of sides had him "worked out" after 2012. That's why we've seen a steady decline in his form since that one purple patch of a year.

Lot of sides had him "worked out" after 2012. That's why we've seen a steady decline in his form since that one purple patch of a year.
This is the difference between the good and the elite. The elite ( Lockyer)continue to develop regardless of the challenges. The others ( Marshall) don't . Time will tell which category Barba fits into.

I can see both sides in this debate but am certainly more pro-Barba. But just on this topic, a lot of Bennett-Boyd supporters are highlighting the seeming decline of Barba and not really agreeing that his issues and the very poor management of the coaching by putting weight on, etc have had any major role in his decline. They are also saying he will never get back to his 2012 form. There is also the ridiculous argument raised by someone that the Sharks won't have a good forward pack that made me go whaaaaat? Anywho, what makes you guys think Boyd can get back to his form but Barba cannot given both are in seasons long declines?

Dugan is playing centre, Milford is playing five-eighth, Hayne is playing NFL, Barba will probably play five-eighth for Sharks

My order for Fullbacks in the NRL for 2015 -

1.) Greg Inglis (Souths)
2.) Billy Slater (Storm)
3.) Brett Stewart (Eagles)
4.) Matt Moylan (Panthers)
5.) Sam Tomkins (Warriors)
6.) Darius Boyd (Broncos)
7.) Michael Morgan (Cowboys)
8.) James Tedesco (Tigers)
9.) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Roosters)
10.) Sam Perrett (Bulldogs)
11.) Josh Hoffman (Titans)
12.) Michael Gordon / Ben Barba (Sharks)
13.) Sione Mata'utia (Knights)
14.) Adam Quinlan (Dragons)
15.) Jack Wighton (Raiders)
16.) Reece Robinson (Eels)

This is a gee up right? Boyd better than Tedesco, gordon and Sheck? Wtf are you on. On 2014 AP's list is far more accurate. Tedesco was on fire before his injury and Sheck is going to light up 2015. Also, wighton has barely played any fb but he was pretty damn good there so i dont know how he gets 15th. And just because milford is going to play 6, doesnt make him a worse FB than boyd. He can be better at a position and not play there, so will count milford. on the same note, you also failed to mention hiku. As others have dugan is a better fullback as well, regardless of it he plays there.

Also, the eels have already said Hopoate will be eels fullback. I think you will also find morris will be bulldogs fullback.

I am 100% behind this.

Gordon and Kahu ahead of Boyd? I'm struggling to believe you're after a genuine discussion. One is an Australian rep, multiple premiership winner and Clive Churchill winner, they're not in the same league. Kahu can't even string 10 games together, and Gordon was absolutely awful this year.

In no particular order, but all higher than Boyd:

Inglis
Slater
Stewart
Milford
Barba
Dugan
Tedesco
Moylan
Morgan
Tomkins
Hayne

That places him at least 12th IMO. Do you disagree with any of those (other than Barba obviously since you think hes shit)?

Hayne is gone, Morgan is over rated.
I'd rate Inglis, Slater, Tomkins, Milford and Moylan ahead of him.
Dugan and Stewart (age considered) in a similair league with different strengths and weaknesses.
Tedesco hasn't done enough to prove himself yet and looks far too injury prone.
I obviously rate him ahead of Barba.

Active Now

• Robboi_321
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Locky24
  • jd87
  • GCBRONCO
  • Nerd
  • Strop
  • Skathen
  • Stix
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.