[Confirmed] Russell Packer -->Not the Broncos

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
re: [Confirmed] Russell Packer --> Panthers

You might not but it is not that easy for some people. Remember this is a kid brought up on violence and drinking more alcohol than most adults in his pre teen years.
His parents have a lot to answer for
You could very well be right, and while he should be entitled to be rehabilitated into society, it should be in a menial anonymous job, not in a society's elite, which is what a professional NRL athlete is.
This is exactly the same argument I had about Shaun Metcalf when he signed with the Warriors, after he was released from a prison stint for attempting to "abort" his unborn child, by kicking the pregnant mother repeatedly in the abdominal area.

I'm also not going to get into the immensely hard debate about alcohol, and while it serves as an explanation as Huge said, it cannot and should never serve as an excuse...
- Can't control your actions under the influence? Don't drink!
- Can't control your habit? Go to AA meetings, get into a rehab clinic, or... drink yourself into a stupor at home, where you can only harm yourself.

I am pretty fed-up with a world where the rights of the villains supersede the suffering of their victims, so my view is pretty simple really:
Once you've committed such an act, you've forfeited your right to the limelight. At least until your victim and their family can live with that fact and the fact they might have to cop your face on TV, newspapers, social media, etc...

I don't care whether intimidation is something we really need, it still isn't an excuse to offer this guy a contract.
Let's find it somewhere else, otherwise it means we don't really care about ethics or morals, in which case, maybe Hamas has a big guy who wouldn't mind to earn some money in the NRL in between the terrorist attacks... :wink:

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010

Error Page

The NRL will refuse any club trying to register him.

This is the same fuckwit that elbowed Lockyer in the face not that long after having his cheekbone reconstructed and some people are trying to justify signing him?

Good riddance to the thug, maybe he can go join a bikie gang like that other waste of human life Anthony Watts.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

So, you're okay with thugs being "rehabilitated", as long as the victim is not someone close to you.
I on the other hand, look at the act, not who the victim is, to make a judgement.
My issue is not with being an ex-con, it's with what he's done to be an ex-con in the first place.

As disgusting as what Bird and Inglis did is, it's not even in the same continent as what Packer did. He's lucky he's not a murderer FFS!

No, that's not what I said.

I am ok with someone making a huge mistake, being rehabilitated and getting another chance.

If it were my brother that would be completely different because regardless I wouldn't forgive, because it's my brother. I think that's pretty self explanatory. I may have opinions on something but they obviously change if that same thing has happened to someone close to me

But if you want to put things back on me I can play that game too. Are you saying you are more ok with someone that beats a woman our glasses her in the face than you are with someone that gets punched and retaliates to much?

As for saying he is lucky he isn't a murderer, even if they guy died he wouldn't be a murderer. Murder requires motive, intent and premeditation. If he has any of that he would be in jail for attempted murder

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Carney yes, but at least not as an intentional act, unlike this grub who pretty much just tried to finish the guy off permanently.

I'm not trying to excuse the others, and I am loathe of any man who is cowardly enough to attack a female, but it's still not close to what constitutes an attempt to murder someone.

Not murder. If they guy died it would be manslaughter.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

That is ridiculous.

We aren't talking about a Shane Webcke here. Nor a Petero Civoniceva. Definately not a Glenn Lazurus. We are talking about Russell Packer. He is never going to be a player that we will regret passing up. He hasn't had one season where he averaged over 100 metres per game. (And cheers to Big Pete for the stats by the way).

You could use that argument for someone like Ben Barba because of what he is capable of. If he signed with the Titans for example, and then recaptured his 2012 form there, we'd be pissed off about letting him go. But the reality with Russell Packer is that he is never going to be in the game's top 5 front rowers, probably not even top 10.

I am not saying ability should dictate whether or not we sign convicted criminals, just highlighting the major flaw in that argument.

For the record, I am with Beads 100%. The line was drawn in the sand with Dugan. We cannot possibly cross that line and sign Russell Packer.

No never compared him to webcke etc. I said he is the type of prop we need because he provides aggression in short stints. None of our current props provide intimidation whatsoever. Add to the fact he would come cheap as chips I thought it would be a good signing.

I love that certain posters have come down on others as if we are scumbags for thinking that someone deserves a second chance after going to jail for getting into a fight, yet those same posters will cheer on guys like Greg inglis at origin time.

So the basic formula is attacking a female if you are an elite footballer is acceptable, but get into a fight with another bloke, you better damn well be the next immortal

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

Deserves a second chance after going to jail for getting into a fight

Mr Packer punched the man in the face, causing him to fall and hit his head on the ground. Packer then punched the man several times as he lay on the ground and stamped on his head, leaving the victim with two fractured facial bones.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

No never compared him to webcke etc. I said he is the type of prop we need because he provides aggression in short stints. None of our current props provide intimidation whatsoever. Add to the fact he would come cheap as chips I thought it would be a good signing.

I love that certain posters have come down on others as if we are scumbags for thinking that someone deserves a second chance after going to jail for getting into a fight, yet those same posters will cheer on guys like Greg inglis at origin time.

So the basic formula is attacking a female if you are an elite footballer is acceptable, but get into a fight with another bloke, you better damn well be the next immortal
Disagree slightly B4L, some of them show aggression running the ball but in defence there is no intimidation

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Mr Packer punched the man in the face, causing him to fall and hit his head on the ground. Packer then punched the man several times as he lay on the ground and stamped on his head, leaving the victim with two fractured facial bones.

I can read, thanks.

He went too far, doesn't change the fact that this started from a fight but no one, not even the man himself has denied he went too far. Some people are acting like he planned this out, broke into the guys house and tried to murder him

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

My concern is this: Apparently he'll be on a minimal contract. I suspect they're going to punt Hannant, replace him with Packer, and use the fresh cap space to sign Boyd on big money.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

If you can't control your acts under the influence, and especially if you have a tendency to become violent, don't fucking drink!

Fucking hate the lame alcohol excuse!

This. While I won't make comment about criminals playing the game, alcohol related assault would go away with a bit of self control.

Weed is better anyway ;-)

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008

yeah i can't cop the whole 'alcohol explains it' thing. thats the problem with society. if you cant handle your drink, dont drink so much.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Oh please, come on... it was just a fight, and it really was the other blokes fault for getting his face in the way.
True story!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Oh please, come on... it was just a fight, and it really was the other blokes fault for getting his face in the way.
True story!

No one said that. At all. If you are going to act like a child what's the point of a discussion?

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014

True, if he can't handle his drink without bashing someone then he shouldn't be drinking. That said that attack and its consequences might be the kick in the guts he needs to get his life on track. Anyone know if he had ever gotten in trouble before?
And for the record I'd say yes to him as a cheap player, but no to him as a person off the field. It's really hard to make any kind of judgement without knowing the bloke and whether he's on the straight and narrow now.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

Error Page

The NRL will refuse any club trying to register him.

This is the same fuckwit that elbowed Lockyer in the face not that long after having his cheekbone reconstructed and some people are trying to justify signing him?

Good riddance to the thug, maybe he can go join a bikie gang like that other waste of human life Anthony Watts.

Lol.....how is it that you can read the words but not understand what is written ?

Its not like they used big words or tried to be a little devious but the NRL never stated they would not register Packer. In fact they actually state clearly they would consider it on its merits but as yet have not received an application !!!!

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

My two cents worth. he has done his time and is entitled an opportunity to try and further his rehabilitation back into society.

Should that be at the Broncos, no in my opinion. We have a legacy in this particular position of people like Glen Lazarus, Shane Webcke, and Petero, not only champion players, but champion people who have left a legacy for others to follow. In my opinion it would be shitting on that legacy for this club to sign someone like Packer.

Whether others like it or not, we have set a line in the sand with the Club's decision about Dugan. If that was enough for us to walk away from a player, then Packer by his conduct has at this time disqualified himself from being a Bronco.

Re his rehabilitation, I can see football being valuable for that, but in my view it should not be at NRL level. He should be required like Carney, to go and play in the country for at least 12 months, be of good behaviour, in fact do some community service like talk to junior players about the dangers of alcohol and violence and the need for restraint. If he did this for a minimum of 12 months and preferably 24 months with an exemplary record, then he could be welcomed back to the NRL.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

Got to laugh.....Porthoz called a rugby league player a member of society's elite !!!!

I mean come on, just because you can play a bit of footy does not mean you are elite ffs. You may indeed be worshipped by the slow witted but elite, never . I'm not saying a footy player couldn't become a member of the elite but he could never get there just by playing the game no matter how many tests or origins he plays. Andrew Johns, elite lol.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013

Got to laugh.....Porthoz called a rugby league player a member of society's elite !!!!

I mean come on, just because you can play a bit of footy does not mean you are elite ffs. You may indeed be worshipped by the slow witted but elite, never . I'm not saying a footy player couldn't become a member of the elite but he could never get there just by playing the game no matter how many tests or origins he plays. Andrew Johns, elite lol.

I'm with Huge on this one. **** the Elite ,They're mostly crooks anyway. on the matter at hand, I believe once the guy has done his time he should be treated without prejudice.

Active Now

• Volvo Driver
  • bert_lifts
  • westy316
  • Johnny92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Scorchie
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Behind enemy lines
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Painin the Haas
  • Nerd
  • Dash
  • Kev_Guz
  • Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • johnyE
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • kman
... and 51 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.