Copley or Reed

Would you prefer to keep Copley or Reed if it comes down to it?

• Total voters
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Re: Roberts V Gagai

What you don't remember any times Oates has had to come in off his wing to shut a play down because poor old Jack was in no-man's land? Or when Reed makes a lousy defensive Reed causing Milford to try and cover for his mistake. Pathetic.

Yeah, Reed and Gagai are equally as bad in defence. I never said Gagai was superior. I said they were both about the same. They are both terrible. Reed gets beaten on the outside way too often, and Gagai gets trampled way too often.

So how about both of you stop trying to spin what I said into your own little agenda whenever it suits you.

Agenda?

I just want you to back up what you said and point out when all of these moments were.

I recall Reed playing a huge part in us winning games with his defence.. Like the Round 15 game against Storm.. The 1st finals game against the Cowboys to name a couple of examples..

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

I don't think Reed is that week defensively, and Gagai is imo considerably worse.
Reed however, is by no means that good in defense either, especially because he is a arm/leg grabber and seldom uses his body.
He does get found out too often by fast / powerful players, who get outside of him, and while I don't completely agree with bazza, I know exactly what he is talking about in relation to Milford and Oates often having to compensate for Jack.
There are quite a few examples of this, where you often see an image of Reed on the punching the ground after a player has left him behind and went on to score or set-up a try.

He also has blinders where no one will get past him, so credit where it is due.

Imo, 95% of his games will either result in a fail score (3/10 or 4/10) or a great one (8/10). The latter don't happen often enough to eclipse the former though...

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014

Reed is a good defender, until the ball runner straightens up. He can ONLY tackle to the outside. It baffles me how other teams don't exploit it more. The only player who consistently does is Michael Morgan.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Come on people it's Xmas.

There's no need for these passive aggressive posts, just good times and some festive cheer.

I can see both sides of the argument.

I don't think defending outside of Milford and inside of Oates was the easiest assignment in the world. Both Kahu (Round 16 v Knights) & Copley (Round 8 v Parra) struggled and Reed simply defended better than either when given the opportunity.

I keep seeing bazza raise the Prelim Final game against the Roosters. Reed's performance that evening was definitely concerning and doesn't bode well moving forward. However, we cannot forget Copley's performance in Round 24 where Ferguson got around him on a number of occasions. If Ferguson's handling had have been as good as it was during the Prelim final, Ferguson would have scored a hat-trick on Dale. For mine, that was Copley's do or die chance that season. If he had a break-out game, I doubt we'd see Reed in the finals. Unfortunately he had a tough assignment and wilted. That situation summed up his season really, dealt a bad hand and he never had an opportunity to cement his place.

I don't begrudge Bennett's selection. He made the right call based on form and his overall goal which was to get Milford settled into the side.

However, moving forward I can see Copley regaining his 2014 form and playing better than Reed.

Unfortunately, it won't be at the Broncos. As much as I'd like to see the club retain Copley over Reed, the reality of the situation is that Reed's contract doesn't expire until the 2017 season, meaning we'd have to pay out two years of his contract. Meanwhile Copley only has one season left remaining on his deal and somehow I don't think it'd be difficult to get other clubs to pay for his release in full.

It sucks but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I personally prefer Copley over Reed, but WB sees it differently it seems

As much as it hurts to admit it, Wayne may know a bit more about Rugby League than me :smile:

And as BP points out above, sometimes it comes down to more than just talent - contract amounts and lengths come in to these decisions

I would love WB's salary, but I really wouldn't want his job

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
We only need to pay out contracts if the new club offers less than his current deal. I have no idea what Copley is on but IIRC Reed is on $250k. I don't think it'd be hard for him to find that money elsewhere.

I'd be releasing Reed and gambling on Copley. It's not the biggest gamble really, we have Kahu if Copley derps it up, arguably Oates, and then a bunch of younger players to fill in on the wings with Maranta.

Not only is Reed on more, but as mentioned above, is contracted through 2017. That's a positive if we can release him and not have to contribute towards his contract. Copley only saves us this year.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
I am going to think of it this way, Copely has been in and out of our side since 2009 and has played 72 games. Never cemented his

position but did play well in 2014. He never really impressed last year and with his injury record and two good head knocks/concussions in

a year is in my opinion a liability. This guy should be well over a hundred games but it appears he is made of crepe paper. Jack Reed

despite his shoulder issues and few other niggles has been with us since 2011 and has played 117 games, he is a NRL quality player as is

copely, they offer us different things but the one thing that Reed offers is matches for his dollars unlike Copley. This is for me the major

issue on a clubs mind, if we sell Reed and keep Copely could we end up without both for most of the season.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
We only need to pay out contracts if the new club offers less than his current deal. I have no idea what Copley is on but IIRC Reed is on $250k. I don't think it'd be hard for him to find that money elsewhere.

I'd be releasing Reed and gambling on Copley. It's not the biggest gamble really, we have Kahu if Copley derps it up, arguably Oates, and then a bunch of younger players to fill in on the wings with Maranta.

Not only is Reed on more, but as mentioned above, is contracted through 2017. That's a positive if we can release him and not have to contribute towards his contract. Copley only saves us this year.

What is Copley on though? And if Reed is half as bad as 90% of this forum makes out we would be lucky to get a club to pick him up for minimum.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I don't believe Copley's contract value has ever been reported. However usually deals worth in excess of $200K are reported, so given the lack of fanfare I think it's fair to assume he's on less than Reed.

I think if you ask any club who they'd rather, most would say Copley at this stage.

It's certainly true if you ask any neutral fan.

Hence, it's a lot easier to push a guy like Copley out than Reed and the Broncos have to make this happen ASAP.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I don't believe Copley's contract value has ever been reported. However usually deals worth in excess of $200K are reported, so given the lack of fanfare I think it's fair to assume he's on less than Reed.

I think if you ask any club who they'd rather, most would say Copley at this stage.

It's certainly true if you ask any neutral fan.

Hence, it's a lot easier to push a guy like Copley out than Reed and the Broncos have to make this happen ASAP.

They announced Reed & Gillett re-signing together, pretty sure it was $250k/yr for Reed and $350k/yr for Gillett. But yeah, nothing about Copley's.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I can't believe how many people on here now suddenly want Reed in the team now that Bennett has played him throughout the whole 2015 season.

It wasn't long ago that Reed was the scapegoat almost every single match, win, lose or draw.

Funny how some people's perception changes so drastically... Almost to the point where they seem to agree with every decision Bennett makes, right or wrong...
Maybe, just maybe, these posters weren't the same people?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
And for the record, I'd rather Copley get the punt and we keep Reed.

Reed is a good centre, outstanding value for money too. 250k is **** all in the scheme of things, and having solid, reliable first graders (who aren't always injured) that are on a low wage, is what will allow us to keep guys like Milford and Hunt in the long run.

R

Rex Hunt

Dec 26, 2015
I must be the only one that thinks Copely is massively overrated. Reed is no world beater but at least he is fairly sound in defence and attack.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I must be the only one that thinks Copely is massively overrated. Reed is no world beater but at least he is fairly sound in defence and attack.

No your not the only one... There's two of us.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Who overrates Copley?

Some people underrate Reed, but that's all.

AceAv

AceAv

BRL Player
Apr 3, 2014
I also think Copley is a tad bit overrated and really applaud the wise words of our Guru BP ^.

Reed has tonnes more game experience and has made some beautiful plays. Sure he can mess up just like any player and centres are far more likely to get seething critism for every one of those.

It's a real shame to lose Copley. I was looking forward to him taking the 4 Jersey.. But we have signed a talent that you just don't have the opportunity to sign very often and sadly we lose a potential talent that has had more than enough time to prove his worth, which sadly he has fallen short of..

Active Now

• Pablo
  • theshed
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.