Corey Oates - What to do?

Yeah let him go at a still relatively good age. Worked with Petero.
Petero was still kicking ass though. Oatsey is way too slow for the wing these days - especially on an edge that'll have Walsh wrapping around with Cobbo/Mariner.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him hang around the club for life, but I can't see him being a regular starter on the wing outside of injury. I'd love to him try his hand in the forwards but he'd be behind a bunch there as well.

If he was to leave though, I'd love for him to get a decent pay day rather than fading away on unders here.

That was one of the worst decisions the club has ever made. It didn't make him better for his return, it just shit on a statesman of the club for next to no benefit, if any at all. And boy did it piss the fans off.

Bringing him back didn't make it right, but it certainly was an appropriate mea culpa. So glad he got to finish his career with us, he should never have been forced out in the first place. Absolutely one of the top 3 or 5 worst recruitment/retention decisions in the history of the club.

if he is up for fighting for that wing spot in the offseason whats it hurt going again for another 12 months? not sure we have any left side wingers beating the door down for selection for next year with herbie moving on and mariner likely to slot right in a vet like corey pushing them to hold there spots would be handy

If it wasn’t for Drinkwater tackling his face he’d be in #2 for sure. Such a shit tackle and completely set Corey back.

Farcical Drinkwater would’ve been Dally M winner if not for the tackle. He should’ve been made to sit out as long as Corey had to.
This is definitely one of the better solutions I’ve heard @Scorchie.
Sit the culprit down for the same time as the person getting injured. I know that would’ve backfired for us with Patty on Hastings, but it’s a good idea.

This is definitely one of the better solutions I’ve heard @Scorchie.
Sit the culprit down for the same time as the person getting injured. I know that would’ve backfired for us with Patty on Hastings, but it’s a good idea.
It's a horrible idea. Should a player be punished if someone like Latrell is lazy with rehab and takes 3 months to come back from a calf strain? What if Patty injures a dud player like Salmon and Penrith sit him out for the year because we lose more if Patty stays suspended.

It's a horrible idea. Should a player be punished if someone like Latrell is lazy with rehab and takes 3 months to come back from a calf strain? What if Patty injures a dud player like Salmon and Penrith sit him out for the year because we lose more if Patty stays suspended.

You could do it with precedents. For example, if a knee injury normally takes 3 months to heel for example, irrespective of the player recovery time, the perpetrator still has to do 3 months.

I agree as a blanket rule is a bad idea but maybe if it is a cynical, deliberate injury, maybe it could be considered.

That said, if it did come in, you can be sure the NRL would somehow screw it up.

For deliberately careless tackles, seems fair to me. Or add loading to the penalty

Well then….
Maybe I’ll just keep my half baked ideas to myself. Very good point @Kimlo…
I still think there is something there, to make the offending team feel more pain… ie Drinkwater having a laugh while one of our best players from last year is fucked

Jesse was great tonight made some awesome runs in the first half and was great under the high ball.
But the times in the second half when we were struggling to get out of our end a big Oatesy run would of come in handy.

I think he continues to be our 18th man next year. Arthurs owns that spot for now.
Probably get the wing back because Herbie is gone though, Arthars to the right wing as that is his preferred side, with Cobbo taking Herbies spot.

Arthars definitely comes off as a big game player, he has shown all year to be our most consistant tough catcher and in the GF it really helped, plus the breaks he made, I do think given his height though he needs to be atleast 100kg, he is the same height as Herbie and it does show a bit on the tough carries being only 95kg.

Probably get the wing back because Herbie is gone though, Arthars to the right wing as that is his preferred side, with Cobbo taking Herbies spot.

Arthars definitely comes off as a big game player, he has shown all year to be our most consistant tough catcher and in the GF it really helped, plus the breaks he made, I do think given his height though he needs to be atleast 100kg, he is the same height as Herbie and it does show a bit on the tough carries being only 95kg.
I'd keep Arthars on the left... that is the side most right kickers kick to so it requires our best bomb defuser... and that's Arthars.

Mariner to the right outside Staggs will be just as formidable as this year... and Cobbo moving to left centre could make that side even more dangerous with his left arm carry.

Muscles require oxygen .
Put too much muscle on and aerobic fitness suffers .

Untitled

I like Oates but they way we want to defend these days means he really doesn't have a place in the team. I thought we would miss his big metres but Arthurs is more than capable of doing the grunt work working it out of our end. ****, he was the best backline player in the grand final for that. I wont begrudge Oates for leaving for a pay bump if he wants to.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • sooticus
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Lurker
  • Shane Tronc
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • Spoon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Culhwch
  • MrMoore
  • LittleDavey
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.