Corey Oates - What to do?

Arthars definitely comes off as a big game player, he has shown all year to be our most consistant tough catcher and in the GF it really helped, plus the breaks he made, I do think given his height though he needs to be atleast 100kg, he is the same height as Herbie and it does show a bit on the tough carries being only 95kg.
Agree....a bit more size about him wouldn't go astray.......as long as he keeps his speed. He's very reliable under the high ball.

The question will come from seeing if Cobbo can make the switch to centre......and then its up to Oats to grab back his wing spot or......
Mariner starts pre-season stronger and takes it off him.
Leaving Corey
left right out.

I'd give him the old, you can look for other offers.

I love Oatsey, and really heartbroken for him for 2015... he should have a ring.
Unfortunately that is life and that is footy.

I'm really glad he had Origin 2022 game 3... fond memory for his latter half of his career.

Overall, I agree with the above:
I wouldn't sugar coat it but I would be open to offering something like this:

- Would love for you to stay
- If you did, you will get X amount for 2024, 2025.
- And then a job at the Broncos doing X
(not just a job for the boyz, Oates is a one-club player, there is plenty he could help out at the club, to continue our strong culture)
- You will be our back-up 'back'.
You will definitely get games during origin, and will cover niggling injuries for the backline, etc.
- The 2 year contract offered will be reflective of the above (thus, significantly reduced)
- However we would totally understand if you want to go somewhere else because they offer you a juicy 3 year deal, etc.

I love Oatsey, and really heartbroken for him for 2015... he should have a ring.
Unfortunately that is life and that is footy.

I'm really glad he had Origin 2022 game 3... fond memory for his latter half of his career.

Overall, I agree with the above:
I wouldn't sugar coat it but I would be open to offering something like this:

- Would love for you to stay
- If you did, you will get X amount for 2024, 2025.
- And then a job at the Broncos doing X
(not just a job for the boyz, Oates is a one-club player, there is plenty he could help out at the club, to continue our strong culture)
- You will be our back-up 'back'.
You will definitely get games during origin, and will cover niggling injuries for the backline, etc.
- The 2 year contract offered will be reflective of the above (thus, significantly reduced)
- However we would totally understand if you want to go somewhere else because they offer you a juicy 3 year deal, etc.

I'd also be reminding him of the pathway his replacement has taken in that he came in as first back up and forced his way into the GF team on weight of fantastic performance. No reason Oates can't do the same because at his very best, he is easily top 13.

Muscles require oxygen .
Put too much muscle on and aerobic fitness suffers .
Yeah but fitness can always be improved, you can't tell me 105kg Herbie is less arobic than Arthars because he isn't.

I think him getting to 100kg is reasonable atleast in a 1 year frame, not asking for him to gain 15kg like what Bennett did with Niu, Arthars is a tall player his frame can handle it.

Yeah but fitness can always be improved,

Depends on the individual .
And their physiology .

Arthars is 25 years old and has played NRL a few years now . Do you think the coaching staff might understand what his ideal weight is already ?

Great way to treat one of our few long serving players, and one who played rep footy last year.

And I bet you have a problem with player agents weaselling players out of contracts early.

Great way to treat one of our few long serving players, and one who played rep footy last year.

And I bet you have a problem with player agents weaselling players out of contracts early.

Because I want him playing footy and not sitting on the sidelines?

Go back to bed mate, wrong take.

Because I want him playing footy and not sitting on the sidelines?

Go back to bed mate, wrong take.
So instead of wanting him to work his way back into the side, you want the club to let him go?

So instead of wanting him to work his way back into the side, you want the club to let him go?

Not "let him go". More a "Hey Mate, you're getting older, Arthurs is killing it so you'll need to try fight your way back in. But you're a gun and if someone gives you an offer, we won't stand in your way friend".

Not "let him go". More a "Hey Mate, you're getting older, Arthurs is killing it so you'll need to try fight your way back in. But you're a gun and if someone gives you an offer, we won't stand in your way friend".
He's 28.

wally-lewis-hero.jpg

This guy was a pretty good player in his day .
Played a bit of rep footy too . But he was surplus to requirements and was let go .

I don't think he will be in the 17 next year.

He's slowing down and these days you need speed on the wing more than ever before. Arthars has overtaken him IMO.

I can see Mariner taking the remaining wing spot if Cobbo moves to centre.

wally-lewis-hero.jpg

This guy was a pretty good player in his day .
Played a bit of rep footy too . But he was surplus to requirements and was let go .
Yeah the long serving club legend that he was.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Midean
  • Waynesaurus
  • NSW stables
  • Sproj
  • Manifesto
  • barker
  • Foordy
  • broncotville
  • Tim K
  • theshed
  • Shane Tronc
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Dash
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.