Corey Oates

The only thing that's certain is that he needs to be in the 17. Centre is iffy as we don't know if he can pass. Wing we know he won't let us down but he will fight it out with Copley, kahu, yow yeh, possibly Glenn for two positions. If he isn't the best option for either of those positions he definitely needs to be a bench back rower. He will get bigger. He has a similar build to Gillett but has a bigger frame. He is only 18 now is the time he will start putting on muscle.

I'd like to see him on the bench for 2nd row rotation, but also as backline cover in case of injury.

14. Oates
15. Kennedy
16. Stagg
17. Hala/Tasi/Lui

I'd like to see him on the bench for 2nd row rotation, but also as backline cover in case of injury.

14. Oates
15. Kennedy
16. Stagg
17. Hala/Tasi/Lui

Who would you play in the backs and back row?

You've gotta think his best position will be Centre for next year, at least. Running lines on the right hand side off whoever our 5/8 is and running off Barba.[/QUOTEY

YesYesYesYesYesYes​YesYES......

I hope I don't see Oates anywhere near the forwards for a least the next few years. I am starting to warm to the arguments for him to remain on the wing but as a preference, I want him in the centres. I just don't want the obvious talent wasted on bashing up the middle. Leave that for the mindless blob Thaiday. We have forwards up to the kazoo and back. No no no. Kahu on the wing and Reed and Oates in the centres and how useful to have Hodges as a model. Ah the video sessions. YowYeh or Copley on the other wing. Barba in the rear, Hunt and Milford and a hundred forwards to pick from...can we start 2014 now please ?

Yeah, I'm happy enough to have him in the centres, just not the wing.

Who would you play in the backs and back row?

1. Barba/Hoffman
2. Hoffman/Copely
3. Reed
4. Glenn
5. Yow Yeh/Kahu
6. Milford/Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

What is great about Oates is he is playing I encumbered by expectation , he is playing what he see's and breaking the line and finishing movements because he is not over thinking . He has belief . In my opinion this is the main thing we lack. I love Hunt at 7 but he still does not look like he thinks he belongs there. Believe Ben you do belong .

I think it would be a massive shame to play Oates on the wing next year. I'm not doubting his ability on the wing, he has been great. But his future is in the seccond row and playing him on the wing would put back his development massively in my opinion. In 2014 he fits best into the team in the centers because we have any abundance of back rowers already. I'm happy or him to play centre because atleast he still gets to develop his footwork, line running and Defence.

he's definately got lots of potential and am i happy he got a run this year. hook probably wouldn't have played him though for a few years if it weren't for our injury toll.

According to reports Corey Oates is in the Junior Kangaroo's train on squad does that mean his not valid to play in the finals for the under 20s?

Corey Oates will be excellent and a possible rep player in the next few years. He's got speed, defence and great reflexes

I think Gillett was for me, we know how that turned out :( Still time for him though. Lets see how Oates goes next year, will be interesting.

I think Gillett was for me, we know how that turned out :( Still time for him though. Lets see how Oates goes next year, will be interesting.

Gillett was 21 when he made his first grade debut so technically not a "prospect".

In this sense I think prospect is the right word considering he hadn't played first grade yet (did he?). Prospect being someone with potential. But I concede that may have not been what Spoj was meaning, hard to tell really. In the end who cares, funny that you would choose to point that out really. Anyways, I think we can all agree that we're excited about Corey, just like we were about K. Hunt and Gillett.... fingers crossed peoples, fingers crossed!

Oates has a wrist injury so he won't be playing in the under 20's final series. Not sure if it will effect his chances of playing for the Junior Kangaroos.

What is great about Oates is he is playing I encumbered by expectation , he is playing what he see's and breaking the line and finishing movements because he is not over thinking . He has belief . In my opinion this is the main thing we lack. I love Hunt at 7 but he still does not look like he thinks he belongs there. Believe Ben you do belong .

Yeas, belief. Self belief, and also instincts working together. That's class

I really prefer Oates in the centres, which is why I sing the next Gene Miles mantra, and then later, back row maybe. As for wing, I am both selfish for the harvest of points he will reap for us, and also, at 19, and playing the house down in a position he obviously enjoys, is I reckon, good for his future.

At the same time, I firmly believe Oates needs to talk, the coach needs to talk, and both need to listen and hear. If Oates really wants to play centre he should say that to Hook and vice versa.

Also, the other variable is, who do we have for 2014 on the wing who will score as many tries as Oates, judging by his performance this year?

I hope it isn't Kahu. For mine, he would make a quality centre, great foot work and he is quick off the mark and can pass

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • DrGee
  • Foordy
  • kman
  • Brocko
  • Bucking Beads
  • Maddy
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosAlways
  • BruiserMk1
  • Evander
  • Justwin
  • Browny
  • Dash
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.