Corey Parker appreciation thread

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
I'm happy to read the book to see what the deal was on his contracts but he negotiated every deal himself and executed every contract. Whether its Corey or other players the Broncos isn't a bloody jail. Like any of us you can look elsewhere and yep he could have gone to the storm etc for more.

agreed some griffin deals absolutely stunk and he should have got more for his long service but when the free cars, 16 years worth of deals, tpa's and a guaranteed job at the end either with the club or a corporate partner that goes well beyond footy days, it's not a bad package and unlikely he would have got that longevity somewhere else.

He's got a nice digs I saw on Broncos insider so is hardly on struggle street... Sorry boys but I get a bit over that shit. Remuneration injustices are part of every workplace in every city in every country.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
He isn't hanging shit on the club because he wants to, he is just telling it how it is. I would have been pretty insulted too by that offer considering his status as a player in 2013. He had every right to demand more money for his loyal service and for where he was at in the game at the time of the contract (dally m lock, best and fairest, origin rep). Loyalty is one thing, but being taken advantage of is another thing. Here he was taking a paycut so the club could sign Barba for a mill a year. That's a blatant cop out and im glad he got paid more than that. TPA's or not, you have to look after your loyal servants and he was one of the most loyal servants to our club.
A mill over 3 years... always found it hard to believe that he was on 800K a year or thereabouts. Not even Milford has been put on that coin.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
If the rumours about his final contract are correct. Add that to the second half of this year, I think we paid him overs.

I think after he was pushed out of the club & he had to retire, I don't think he gave a shit about the club.

So he didn't put in 100%

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
He signed because he loves the club and would liked to have remained loyal to the club. The club should have been loyal to him too, instead of taking advantage of his loyalty. It's a two way street, and the money he was offered is disgraceful when no names, who could only dream to achieve what Parker has, get more than that for their first contract, without even playing an NRL game. It's also a kick in the guts that the club goes out and sign a million dollar player, who has done nothing for the club, and leaves the scraps for one of the clubs greats.

But he is bitching about the amount. (bet supporters etc would be over the moon to earn $200,000 per year)

Parker would have been getting heaps more with TPA.

Doubt he's written in his book that we lost players because of what he was getting before his last contract.

Sick of players thinking they are entitled to the big pay day. Maybe if he was smart enough he would have had a back ended contract, where he was guaranteed the huge money. (IMO: He didn't have a manager because he didn't want to pay them the '10%', he wanted all the money for himself)

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
If you read the whole chapter in context he certainly isn't whinging.

He speaks about it in relation to other players rumoured earnings. Is anyone going to argue that Parker should earn more than Soward?

It leads into him discussing not having a manager and money in the game.

i doubt Parker's third party collection would be too great. He isn't going to run around town sourcing him. Another by-product of no manager.

It's the exact same complaint Petero and Alf had with the Broncos with deals they signed.

Last edited:
B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
But he is bitching about the amount. (bet supporters etc would be over the moon to earn $200,000 per year)

Parker would have been getting heaps more with TPA.

Doubt he's written in his book that we lost players because of what he was getting before his last contract.

Sick of players thinking they are entitled to the big pay day. Maybe if he was smart enough he would have had a back ended contract, where he was guaranteed the huge money. (IMO: He didn't have a manager because he didn't want to pay them the '10%', he wanted all the money for himself)

By not having a manager, he earned less anyway. The managers job is to beef up the pay for his player, and then earn the agreed percentage. Taking into account that percentage, and he'd still be earning more than what he agreed on without the use of a manager. Stop making Parker look like a selfish, money hungry individual, like some of the other players in the comp. He showed loyalty and genuine love for the club. The fact he's played in excess of 300 games as a one club player proves that.

What was his last contract amount anyway? Surely it wasn't a lot more than $200 000, so it barely uses up the cap and forces players out of the club. I'm pretty sure Parker's contract wouldn't have put the same pressure on the cap that the likes of Barba, Kennedy etc would have. Plus I doubt the club would have agreed to a back ended contract anyway.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Who gives a shit what Jamie Soward earns?

If clubs are smart they pay big money for halves and front rowers. Parker was neither. There are some rare exceptions where a club would splurge for a backrower of the caliber of someone like Tallis, who could single-handedly destroy teams on his day. Taumalolo is another example. I'd pay big money for him.

Parker was a lot of things but he wasn't a match winner. He never grabbed a game by the throat. He's a solid worker. The quality of his work was outstanding though.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
He may not have been a match winner but he was worth more than 200k if Paas is worth 150 a season. He's set himself up well in the media though so will hardly be hurting moving forward.

Last edited:
Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
He may not have been a match winner but he was worth more than 200k if Paas is worth 150 a season.

umm

Different salary caps.

You have to feel for Parker, poor bastard. all his lack of pay packet, his wife wears designer clothing & hand bags. (bet she didn't buy them from the local Op Shop.)

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Obviously Parker did because going by him, Soward was a nothing player & he was the king of league & Soward got the goodies & Parker got **** all.

Hehe.

Soward is a better player than Parker. Hence, he got paid more. I honestly don't get Corey's beef with that.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
umm

Different salary caps.

You have to feel for Parker, poor bastard. all his lack of pay packet, his wife wears designer clothing & hand bags. (bet she didn't buy them from the local Op Shop.)

Is the salary cap tripling next year!

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Obviously Parker did because going by him, Soward was a nothing player & he was the king of league & Soward got the goodies & Parker got **** all.

Bit hard saying Soward was nothing. He was pretty good when he had a good coach to work with.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Parker's issue was with Hook.

He wanted a three year deal at the end of 2014.

They said the club wouldn't sign a 31 year old for three years. Parker knew they were going to say that and pointed out Cam Smith is 31 how's his deal going?

The Broncos verbally agreed to the three year deal then tried to get out of it.

Parker went and saw Hook. They had it out. He got his three years for $800,000.

He states the best deal he did was $350,000 for a year.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Chuck in over $700k in Origin and test match payments on top of his Broncos salary, the TPA's he would have and I don't think you'll find too many people arguing Corey hasn't been well paid as a professional rugby league player...

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Parker's issue was with Hook.

He wanted a three year deal at the end of 2014.

They said the club wouldn't sign a 31 year old for three years. Parker knew they were going to say that and pointed out Cam Smith is 31 how's his deal going?

The Broncos verbally agreed to the three year deal then tried to get out of it.

Parker went and saw Hook. They had it out. He got his three years for $800,000.

He states the best deal he did was $350,000 for a year.

........so then what was the issue if he got what he wanted?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Chuck in over $700k in Origin and test match payments on top of his Broncos salary, the TPA's he would have and I don't think you'll find too many people arguing Corey hasn't been well paid as a professional rugby league player...

700k for Origin? What?

Unread

Active Now

• Canga
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Scorchie
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.