Dally M Awards

I think it's more ludicrous that Drinkwater finished in 3rd, that would've been an error if he had won - he couldn't due to being suspended

I really don't see why ineligible players can continue accruing points post-suspension. It's pointless, they can't win anything and they just take points away from people that can.

I'm shocked Carrigan received the award over Isaah. Patty was my choice, but I thought the award was based on ladder positioning. Last time I checked Yeo was ahead of Carrigan, but they never completely updated it.

Otherwise I can't really argue the other choices. It's difficult to go past Jamayne considering he was more pivotal to his team than To'o.

Usually halves aren't as plucky during their second season, but Ezra kept on trucking and has been involved in some pivotal tries this year.

Outside of that Round 1 game where he bombed a sitter against the Broncos, I can't remember Liam Martin having a bad game for the Panthers. I don't think there was an obvious pick and it could have easily gone to Nikora, but Origin may have given Martin the edge.

Happy for all the Broncos and ex-Broncos.
Nah they said at the start that team of the year was completely separate to the Dally M count, and the Dally M voters vote again for team of the year at the end of the year or something

I think the only way to fairly decide who the player of the year is (overall and in each position), is to get the judges (2+) to rate every player in a team for each game out of 10 (average of the multiple judges scores). That way everyone is fairly rated no matter how good their team is (but you can still rate well in a losing team if you perform well).

Then just add it all up and presto :)

president obama youre welcome GIF

Nah they said at the start that team of the year was completely separate to the Dally M count, and the Dally M voters vote again for team of the year at the end of the year or something
That's right.

Supposedly they have a separate vote at regular intervals with a final one at the end of the season, the player with the most votes ends up being recognised.

Was the ladder positioning ever a thing or have I got that completely wrong? I swear that was the system in place in the mid-to-late 10s after another controversial pick.

It's like rookie of the year. I was used to 3 games less the prior season, or not a rookie. Now it's five games or less and it goes back two seasons.

That's right.

Supposedly they have a separate vote at regular intervals with a final one at the end of the season, the player with the most votes ends up being recognised.

Was the ladder positioning ever a thing or have I got that completely wrong? I swear that was the system in place in the mid-to-late 10s after another controversial pick.

It's like rookie of the year. I was used to 3 games less the prior season, or not a rookie. Now it's five games or less and it goes back two seasons.
Can recall Bhunt missing out on halfback of the year to Cherry, despite finishing 4th and being the highest halfback on the ladder.

That might've been when it was getting highlighted that it wasn't based on ladder positions.

I think not having it based on ladder positions is appropriate, because wingers, centres, props, etc. aren't always involved in the 3,2,1's each week so someone could get in the team of the year despite being miles down the ladder

Ponga played about half a good season, it was obviously a really good half a season but still, the fact of the matter is that Shaun Johnson was consistently better, it's actually worked against SJ that AFB featured in the counting and took a few points off of him.

Ponga played about half a good season, it was obviously a really good half a season but still, the fact of the matter is that Shaun Johnson was consistently better, it's actually worked against SJ that AFB featured in the counting and took a few points off of him.

Same thing happened when Hayne won it. It has been like this for years.

I still can't believe that they only interviewed one of the GF coaches ... It's not like one of Kevvies players didn't win an individual award which was the pretence they used to interview Ivan

Can recall Bhunt missing out on halfback of the year to Cherry, despite finishing 4th and being the highest halfback on the ladder.

That might've been when it was getting highlighted that it wasn't based on ladder positions.

I think not having it based on ladder positions is appropriate, because wingers, centres, props, etc. aren't always involved in the 3,2,1's each week so someone could get in the team of the year despite being miles down the ladder
Digging deeper, it seems like they made a change in 2017 where they'd vote based on positions. I must have been conflating it with the top three receiving an automatic pass into the team of the year.

One thing I didn't realise is that Origin wasn't included and in fairness to those players, everyone was capped at 21 games.

Am I wrong that Haas had a 6 point deduction for the 1 week suspension?

Did Drinkwater get points deducted for his suspensions? Seems weird that players ruled out had no points deducted but Haas with a 1 week suspension gets 6 points off. Haas finishes equal 3rd without the deduction

Be a big fish in a small over-achieving (for about half a season) pond and you can be deemed the best player in the game

Upton isn’t surprising - both deserved, but also kind of necessary. Knights women aren’t making finals if she isn’t there

I find it hilarious that so many Warriors fans were certain of SJ winning it. I tried my best to explain why the Dally M is a joke, and they told me I was wrong/jealous/whatever because SJ clearly best suited to win it. Wrong.

I actually feel bad for SJ because even he would have started to think he was a shoe-in.

I can only see this award as a motivator for either; a) star players to rise above their star teammates; or b) star players to go to dogshit teams to be seen to be excellent relative to poor teammates.
In the case of b, the bar seems much lower and star players may just cruise on their abilities (Ponga, Fifita, Latrell maybe, Burton, Hynes). In the case of a, the motivation may drop after being outplayed once or twice.

The good thing for us was Reece actually being ruled out mid-season. Now he is driven to give them a big "**** you" and win the whole competition instead.

Also, how serious did Patty look accepting that award? Damn!

Firstly can anyone answer why the award for most points and most tries in a season (well done jamayne) was just causally handed to the winners on the "green carpert" with zero fanfare? I mean you're at an awards night recognising the best and you give your first award on the walk in when there is a perfectly fine stage and crowd waiting around the corner?

Something about the way the awards night was run really didn't sit well with me. It almost seemed clunky and cheap. Especially Braith saying "Shaun Johnson, no votes" didn't really sit well with me for some reason.

The only way you fix the problem of one good player in a shit team polling so well is to give disrepetancy when voted are given. So if a game is an absolute stinker you have the option of giving out no votes or a single 1 point or whatever is appropriate.

Ideally you would sit down at the end of each round and pick the best players across the round NOT each game. So if 5 players from the panthers, 4 from the bronocs and none from the drags and tits warrent any votes then they dont get any. The problem with that is you'd probably need one person watching every minute of every game for consistency.

Might be an unpopular opinion but i also think the officials should have a say in the voting. It's generally a media/ex footy personality at the game on media duties who give points. They can be influenced by looking at stats or others around them and almos have too much time to think about it. Let the ref give his 3,2,1 and been out there amongst i think he would have a real unbiased and genuine idea of who stood out and who didnt.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Johnny92
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrMoore
  • westy316
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • The Don
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Lostboy
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.