Daly Cherry-Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're gonna get DCE, talk about it next year - nothing's gonna happen this year.

If we're gonna get DCE, talk about it next year - nothing's gonna happen this year.

Anyone remember that young Canberra fullback/half we just signed a year early. Anthony Bilford, Tony Milholden?

DCE doesn't have a sick family member up here, or an estranged baby mama.

Last edited:
Correct, don't get your hopes up this year for it to happen.

What's with the November 1 deadline bullshit? That doesn't exist any more, and any club can make an offer to any player at any time!

Doesn't change the fact that the NRL won't register contracts for the next season until round 13 of the previous one though.

What's with the November 1 deadline bull****? That doesn't exist any more, and any club can make an offer to any player at any time!

It's not a deadline, clubs just aren't allowed to "formally" offer someone a deal until they begin the last year of their contract which rolls over on November 1st.

Dont expect any real traction on this until November at the earliest, DCE hasn't exactly come out like Barba and Milford did in the media saying they wanted to sign for us (mainly due to those circumstances I mentioned above)

Last edited:
So in other words, if DCE hasn't re-signed with Manly by November 1st, we stand a pretty damn good chance of getting him, because I think we can offer more than Manly, more money, better 3rd party deals, he's got more friends at the Broncos, family / friends, grew up in Queensland.

The only problem I see could be the missus, I believe she's a NSW girl with family down there.. but we'll see.

If he does re-sign we should chase Foran, as hard as possible, he's a gun and will be a perfect partner to Milford.

So in other words, if DCE hasn't re-signed with Manly by November 1st, we stand a pretty damn good chance of getting him

Correct, these were pretty much the same words that Trad McClean (Broncos media guy) said to me when I asked him about Milford mid way through last year, if the Raiders wouldn't release him we'd just nut out a deal in November for 2015. Different circumstances but same idea regarding waiting for their contract to roll over.

I don't see Manly releasing him so it would be a 2016 signing if it does happen.

It's not a deadline, clubs just aren't allowed to "formally" offer someone a deal until they begin the last year of their contract which rolls over on November 1st.

Dont expect any real traction on this until November at the earliest, DCE hasn't exactly come out like Barba and Milford did in the media saying they wanted to sign for us (mainly due to those circumstances I mentioned above)
That's incorrect, the November 1 limit is no longer in effect. Clubs are allowed to formally approach a player at any time.

I wasn't aware, did they change that this year? link?

One impediment for the Broncos is the reality they cannot table a formal offer to Cherry-Evans before November 1 this year.
No NRL rival can formally approach Smith until November 1
The Broncos – who cannot formally approach Smith until November 1

I've just seen these posted every time about someone who isn't in the last year of their contract.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware, did they change that this year? link?
No, this has been in effect since 2006! LOL

From the NRL Salary Cap page:

Anti-Tampering Guidelines
The current ‘anti-tampering’ guidelines state that the NRL will not register a player’s contract with a new club until after Round Thirteen in the final year of that player’s existing contract with his current club. The only exception to this is where the existing club agrees that the new contract should be registered

There is no rule to prevent clubs talking to players at any time. There is an acceptance that nobody likes to see players negotiating with a new team but there is also the reality that players in the game do change clubs and that those discussions can take place over an extended period.

Rather than introduce ‘discussion deadlines’ that have in the past been shown to be ineffective, the NRL reserves the right not to register the contract and that ensures that the player’s existing club has a fair chance of retaining its player if it wants to
Link here: NRL Salary Cap explained - NRL.com

Just get foran

No, this has been in effect since 2006! LOL

From the NRL Salary Cap page:

Link here: NRL Salary Cap explained - NRL.com

Griffin said in a press conference before Barba was released that he wasn't allowed to talk to him because he was under contract. So coaches don't even know this rule? It's either that or they're trying to lie to us about this rule in the media...

Broncos should throw everything they can at him now then.

The most important thing is the captaincy. I'm sure Parker would be unhappy, but he'll get over it.

Last edited:
Look we all knew getting DCE was a long shot. Manly would be mad to let him go. All their players wouldn't be on the chopping block if it meant they could keep DCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Culhwch
  • johnny plath
  • Clintos
  • Fozz
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.