Daniel Vidot 2015

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
So... Do you all see Vidot as a certain to play wing next year and onward? With all the talk of Boyd, Hoffman etc.

I really hope they don't start considering him as a back rower.

depends on the make up of the team but i think vidot will have competition for the spot. i think he needs to keep improving to actually lock it down. i'd like to see him trim a few extra kilos (i think he can do that but still be just as effective eating metres) - i believe he hasnt actually gotten to the weight the broncos wanted him at in pre season.

It's a good problem to have. Vidot has been great for us, however if there's a player that actually makes our team better than he does, it can only be a positive. I'd hate to see him released though.

Hoffman will leave if we sign Boyd. Actually, I don't care if we don't sign Boyd and he leaves. Bennett always loved Sailor & Tuqiri on the wings because of their size bring the ball out of the 20. If Vidots attitude is right, then he should have no problem maintaining his spot.

depends on the make up of the team but i think vidot will have competition for the spot. i think he needs to keep improving to actually lock it down. i'd like to see him trim a few extra kilos (i think he can do that but still be just as effective eating metres) - i believe he hasnt actually gotten to the weight the broncos wanted him at in pre season.

Actually Vidot is the one who wants to slim down but Hook is denying him that.. so, yeah. Hook was quoted in an interview saying "why would we wanna do that?"

Vidot will have to go another level if he wants to nail down a wing spot under Bennett imo.. And a massive part of him going to a higher level will be cutting out the blunders. If he can become a 'safe' winger he'll become an outstanding winger.

Hoffman will leave if we sign Boyd. Actually, I don't care if we don't sign Boyd and he leaves. Bennett always loved Sailor & Tuqiri on the wings because of their size bring the ball out of the 20. If Vidots attitude is right, then he should have no problem maintaining his spot.

Vidot shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Sailor and Tuqiri, not sure if he is Benny's kind of guy, a great hit up merchant but not enough of a strike weapon. Would be surprised to see him in a Bronco uniform next year.

I'd like to see him lose some weight, and get a bit more agility in his running.

He is deadset a heavy runner and seems to smash his feet into the ground ..... not something you want from a winger.

Bennett would be crazy to drop him. He has been our best buy and one of our best players this year, his strength and leg drive and willingness to get into the tough stuff is very valuable to the team.

Crazy idea but can we turn him into a rangy second rower who hits up the edges? I know we already have Thaiday, Gillett and Glenn for that plus Oates off the bench but moving into the second row shouldn't that big an ask for Steve Pri...er...Daniel Vidot.

It's an interesting question, Marty.

You've presented a compelling argument for his inclusion as a winger (the strength of his runs being largely due to minimal defensive work bring on the wing) in prior threads.

While I don't dispute your reasoning, I think it's also pretty apparent he lacks some polish in his play on the wing. His aerial ability, and finishing ability are both letting him down (which are crucial to his success in that position).

If he can improve these facets of his game, I'll happily endorse his continued presence on the wing. If he can't, I'd be in favour of using him as a second row edge running wrecking ball (ala Manu Ma'u or T Rex). He may tire more quickly, but he doesn't need to play 80. He could still provide a lot of value playing to his strengths over a shorter time period.

In either case, we'd be mad not to keep him. He's been great for us, willing, and able. Just a case of figuring out which position better takes advantage of his strength and minimises the consequences of his shortcomings.

He has been our best buy, but to be honest all of our other buys weren't exactly any good.

He drags defenders and he makes a lot of metres, but his job is to score tries and he hasn't really been impressive in that department. I think his pre-season is going to determine whether or not he keeps his spot.

He needs to shed some weight, gain some more speed and work on his ball handling and finishing. Bennett likes to have quality finishers on the wing and Hoffman has already said he would be happy to play on the wing. He has some competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his spot, to be honest.

I can only see him as a bench utility. Cover for the backs but mostly play 2nd row.

Nothing about Vidot suggests to me he'd run great lines on the edges and his strength seems to be dragging defenders with him, not outright beating them with his power. To me, that actually makes him more of a front rower candidate than backrow, particularly when Glenn, Gillett, Thaiday and Oates all run much better angles. It is critically important we don't take game time away from Oates in any sense.

For me Vidot is either a winger or a prop. If he can improve his finishing and high ball prowess I think he can make it as a winger, but otherwise prop is where I'd be inclined to trial him.

Nothing about Vidot suggests to me he'd run great lines on the edges and his strength seems to be dragging defenders with him, not outright beating them with his power. To me, that actually makes him more of a front rower candidate than backrow, particularly when Glenn, Gillett, Thaiday and Oates all run much better angles. It is critically important we don't take game time away from Oates in any sense.

For me Vidot is either a winger or a prop. If he can improve his finishing and high ball prowess I think he can make it as a winger, but otherwise prop is where I'd be inclined to trial him.

Vidot on the bench could work.

8. McGuire
10. Hannant

14. Vidot
15. Kennedy (in form please)
16. Oates
17. Gillette/Glenn/Thaiday whoever doesn't make the cut to start.

Sorry dudes, but if this permanent move to fullback for Hodgeo talk is true, it'll either be Milford or Barba that takes up that 4th bench spot, which I find staggering.

He's a winger, he just needs to drop 6-7 KG's, learn how to catch the football and learn how to finish tries. I could see him retaining his wing position next year if we end up losing Hoffman to Raiders / Dogs.

Sorry dudes, but if this permanent move to fullback for Hodgeo talk is true, it'll either be Milford or Barba that takes up that 4th bench spot, which I find staggering.

I'm not buying it. He'll fill in perfectly in the short term but his body couldn't handle it long term. He'll stay at right centre.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Tmac
  • Painin the Haas
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncsgoat
  • winslow_wong
  • Kev_Guz
  • Brocko
  • HarryAllan7
  • Battler
  • KateBroncos1812
  • IceWorks
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.