Darius Anointed As New Leader

I'm loving the hatred on FB about the possibility.

"He's only getting it because Wayne's the coach"
"He's only getting it because he's rooting the coach"
etc etc.....

Bennett has coached him his entire career, did he ever make him club captain? Not to my recollection.

Made a mistake.

Second time in twelve years...

The first time was Round 19 2016 vs Souths.

I was calling for it the day he re-signed back with us.

Thrilled beyond words. He's such a super player.

Boyd is clearly the best choice. Seasoned campaigner, big player in both our attack and defence. Cool head, disciplined, well respected, consistently one of our best.

Thaiday has shown he's better off without the burden. Limited gas tank these days, and isn't taken too seriously by his peers or refs.

McCullough is solid, underrated and one of my favourites. But a captain needs to be capable of delivering the big play when required. Not sure if he's cut out for that.

Does anybody seriously think Bennett would pick anyone but Boyd though?

Yes, I think most of think Bennett would pick the right person

Are you saying he will def pick Boyd coz Boyd's the right choice, or are you saying it coz Boyd is Bennetts' golden boy?

Brisbane Broncos great Willie Carne anoints Darius Boyd to be club’s next captain

DARIUS Boyd has been named the Ron McAuliffe Medal winner as Queensland’s State of Origin player of the year.

And Brisbane great Willie Carne believes Boyd should also receive another honour — the Broncos’ captaincy.

Boyd, 29, was a revelation when he stepped up in the Maroons’ No.1 jersey for the first time in 2016 in the absence of injured Billy Slater. He received the prestigious medal after Corey Parker was awarded the Maroons’ honour last year.

Carne believes Boyd should also take over from Parker as Brisbane skipper. Boyd has been short-listed by Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett for the captaincy along with ex-skipper Sam Thaiday and hooker Andrew McCullough following Parker’s 2016 retirement.

“I think he is the perfect fit as captain,” Carne told AAP.

“Broncos captains have always been players who have led by example and that is what Darius does.

“He might come across as a quietly spoken bloke at the best of times. “But he has a heap of experience and gets out there and does it. “It would be a good call.” Boyd is favourite for the Brisbane captaincy which is set to be unveiled in January by Bennett.

It would cap a remarkable turnaround for the once-troubled NRL star. Boyd quit Newcastle in 2014 and was treated for depression before being sidelined with a torn achilles on his return to the Broncos in 2015. Now healthy on and off the field, Boyd has returned to his career-best form of 2010 when he was Dally M fullback of the year and a premiership-winning Clive Churchill Medallist.

Boyd, named Brisbane’s best and fairest this season, has been short-listed for the Golden Boot Award as the world’s best rugby league player. Boyd was passed over for the Brisbane captaincy 12 months ago after claiming he “wasn’t ready”.

Boyd was also fearful that being named captain would prompt speculation he received preferential treatment from Bennett, the coach under whom he had played his entire career.

But Carne said Boyd’s captaincy claims were now undeniable.

“He has had an amazing year,” Carne said.

“Sure, Wayne (Bennett) can do whatever he wants as coach and Boyd has played under Wayne his whole career.

“But I don’t think Wayne has ever favoured him over anyone else at his clubs. “The fact is, the kid can play.

“And he has learned a lot in the past year about himself.

“I think he is ready.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
I still find it hard to believe Boyd is only 29

1 thing that Darius does have is his talk on the field, he is the best fullback in the nrl when it comes to communication.

Darius Boyd is ready to take mantle of Broncos captaincy, says Mal Meninga

AUSTRALIA coach Mal Meninga has declared Darius Boyd ready for the Broncos captaincy after the classy fullback capped the finest season of his NRL career.

Boyd iced an outstanding 2016 campaign with the Maroons ace clinching his first Ron McAuliffe Medal as Queensland’s Origin player of the year.

It has been a dominant period for Boyd, who was last week short-listed for the Golden Boot Award after helping Australia to the Four Nations title in England.

Meninga spent the past month watching Boyd from close quarters and the Kangaroos mentor is adamant the Broncos custodian must be installed as Brisbane’s next skipper.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett will appoint Corey Parker’s successor next month, with Andrew McCullough and Sam Thaiday among the contenders, but Meninga says there is only one man for the job.

“Darius is ready for the Broncos captaincy, no doubt about that,” said Meninga, the former Maroons coach who launched Boyd’s Origin career in 2008.

“He is part of our leadership group (in the Australian team), every week he participates and mixes in well with the team.

“He is everything you want from a leader and he will develop more as a leader under Wayne (Bennett) — he would be the right choice to be honest with you.”

A veteran of 2467 first-grade games, Boyd has undergone a life-changing transformation in the past two years.

In 2014, the Maroons ace checked into rehab following a private battle with anxiety and depression. At that stage, Boyd had a terrible relationship with the media and was considered no hope of holding a leadership role at an NRL club.

But since confronting his personal demons, Boyd has embraced a more senior role at the Broncos.

In the past 12 months, the Test fullback has sought help to work on his public speaking and is relishing the ambassadorial demands that would come with the Broncos captaincy.

Meninga said Broncos players would instantly respect Boyd, who was on Monday crowned Queensland’s best-and-fairest after spearheading their series win last season.

“Darius has a lot more self-belief in himself now which is important,” said Meninga, the former Test skipper.

“Darius has always been a good person but his confidence and belief in himself has changed. Going away and doing what he did, seeking counselling and making those hard decisions ... he put his hand up and said he has a problem he needs to fix.

“When he opens his mouth now, it’s in a confident way. He has no problems talking in front of a group, so his metamorphosis has been fantastic.

“I have no doubt he could handle the public admiration and the duties that go with being captain of the Broncos.”

While Boyd is a raging favourite for the post, Broncos legend Steve Renouf says Bennett should consider McCullough.

“I’d give the captaincy to Andrew,” Renouf said. “Darius is a great player but McCullough is younger and he rarely misses a game. He’s the heart and soul of the Broncos’ forward pack.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
Of all the Broncos, Darius is by far the most worthy.

I'm so proud of his development as both a professional and a person.

@jd123 I respect your opinion, who would your alternative be?

Roberts.

He is young, and was our best player on the field last year.

Giving him responsibility now would probably see him change his ways off field and also plant the seed for him to be a long term Captain.

He is also Indigenous and would be a great role model for young Indigenous kids.

When you think about it, apart from Wally Lewis, Cameron Smith and Alan Langer, the last 15 years, some of the greatest players of the game are Indigenous Australians, Thurston, Inglis, Tallis, Hodges, Peachey, Renouf, Bowen, Sailor and so on.

Roberts has this gene of brilliance on the field and I think by making him Captain it will see him improve his life off field and his game on-field.

Many may disagree, but that is my opinion.

Last edited:
Roberts.

Giving him responsibility now would probably see him change his ways off field and also plant the seed for him to be a long term Captain.

He is also Indigenous and would be a great role model for young Indigenous kids.

When you think about it, apart from Wally Lewis, Cameron Smith and Alan Langer, the last 15 years, some of the greatest players of the game are Indigenous Australians, Thurston, Inglis, Tallis, Hodges, Peachey, Renouf, Bowen, Sailor and so on.

Roberts has this gene of brilliance on the field and I think by making him Captain it will see him improve his life off field and his game on-field.

Um.. What?

Darius Boyd says hi.

Last edited:
Roberts.

Your opinion is incredibly stupid..

jd has lost the plot I'm pretty sure

Roberts.

Wat8.jpg

Roberts.

jd123, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Unread

Active Now

• Lurker
  • theshed
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.