Darius Anointed As New Leader

A veteran of 2467 first-grade games, Boyd has undergone a life-changing transformation in the past two years.

How much longer can Boyd keep adding to his incredible tally of games?

I think he could still play another 1,000+ games of NRL, comfortably, he's in the prime of his career right now.

Roberts.

He is young, and was our best player on the field last year.

Giving him responsibility now would probably see him change his ways off field and also plant the seed for him to be a long term Captain.

He is also Indigenous and would be a great role model for young Indigenous kids.

When you think about it, apart from Wally Lewis, Cameron Smith and Alan Langer, the last 15 years, some of the greatest players of the game are Indigenous Australians, Thurston, Inglis, Tallis, Hodges, Peachey, Renouf, Bowen, Sailor and so on.

Roberts has this gene of brilliance on the field and I think by making him Captain it will see him improve his life off field and his game on-field.

Many may disagree, but that is my opinion.

You don't just give the captaincy to someone because they are indigenous
Also, did you even watch the broncos this year? Boyd was head and shoulders above everyone

A veteran of 2467 first-grade games, Boyd has undergone a life-changing transformation in the past two years.

How much longer can Boyd keep adding to his incredible tally of games?

he has got locky covered for most games easily

Even Brad Thorn with his League and Union career combined couldn't match that!

Roberts.

Giving him responsibility now would probably see him change his ways off field and also plant the seed for him to be a long term Captain.

He is also Indigenous and would be a great role model for young Indigenous kids.

When you think about it, apart from Wally Lewis, Cameron Smith and Alan Langer, the last 15 years, some of the greatest players of the game are Indigenous Australians, Thurston, Inglis, Tallis, Hodges, Peachey, Renouf, Bowen, Sailor and so on.

Roberts has this gene of brilliance on the field and I think by making him Captain it will see him improve his life off field and his game on-field.

That's up there with the worst ideas i've read on this forum...

1. Captaining the broncos should be a massive achievement for hard work and dedication... roberts has been here 1 year and already been in trouble... you dont just hand the captaincy of the biggest club in the nrl to someone in order to "fix them up". Rewards come to people like darius who fixed himself up.

2. In what world was roberts our best player last year ?... he was not even close.

3. Being indigenous should have absolutely nothing to do with choosing a captain of a club, yes those players you mentioned were great.. but even hodges with all he accomplished had to wait in line.

4. This is just a personal opinion, but i am not a fan of centres wingers props or back rowers being captain in the modern game.. alright for a stop gap but i believe if we are to have a long term captain it should be a spine member.

That's up there with the worst ideas i've read on this forum...

1. Captaining the broncos should be a massive achievement for hard work and dedication... roberts has been here 1 year and already been in trouble... you dont just hand the captaincy of the biggest club in the nrl to someone in order to "fix them up". Rewards come to people like darius who fixed himself up.

2. In what world was roberts our best player last year ?... he was not even close.

3. Being indigenous should have absolutely nothing to do with choosing a captain of a club, yes those players you mentioned were great.. but even hodges with all he accomplished had to wait in line.

4. This is just a personal opinion, but i am not a fan of centres wingers props or back rowers being captain in the modern game.. alright for a stop gap but i believe if we are to have a long term captain it should be a spine member.

I agreed with you right up until point 4.

Roberts.

I have tried to ignore this post all day but I just can't. If someone posted that in their opinion we need a white captain because they are genetically superior they would rightfully be thrown off the forum. You need to think a lot harder before you post.

I agree, a spine member should always be prefered to be the captain imho.

Backrowers and fromt rowers aren't charging the team and often leave the field.. the Halfback basically is the captain most times.

You wouldn't give it to a winger.. maybe a centre, but you're more involved in the tactics of a team if you're wearing 9 7 6 or 1

Last edited:
Your opinion is incredibly stupid..
Personal attacks are allowed here?

jd has lost the plot I'm pretty sure
Won't argue with that.

You don't just give the captaincy to someone because they are indigenous
I never said that, don't put words in my mouth. I said he would be a good role model if he were selected. I also highlighted other reasons that he should be made Captain.

I have tried to ignore this post all day but I just can't. If someone posted that in their opinion we need a white captain because they are genetically superior they would rightfully be thrown off the forum. You need to think a lot harder before you post.
You need to read a post before you post a reply and comprehend it. I never said he should be appointed Captain solely because he is Aboriginal, I said he would be a good role model. I said I think he should be Captain because he is young, a great player and could be a long term Captain. Don't make things up or try to put words in my mouth to suit your agenda please.

Talk about a tough crowd, I disagree with the signing of Benji and am told I should support another club, then I suggest that our centre is our best player and should be Captain and the sheeple don't like it so there is abuse thrown.

I think if Boyd were made Captain and things do not go his way, he could have a meltdown, he has battled depression and to his credit has come out of it the other side for the better and has been brave enough to speak about it, I admire that. But I think being Captain would put way too much pressure on him and it will affect his game and possibly his life if he is made Captain and the high expectations of the Broncos are not met on the field.

Also, if you disagree with my opinion, that's fine, but leave the insults for your little sister or wife please,

Last edited:
I think if Boyd were made Captain and things do not go his way, he could have a meltdown, he has battled depression and to his credit has come out of it the other side for the better and has been brave enough to speak about it, I admire that. But I think being Captain would put way too much pressure on him and it will affect his game and possibly his life if he is made Captain and the high expectations of the Broncos are not met on the field.

So your alternative is to anoint Roberts as captain who is just as mentally fragile as Boyd?

Last edited:
I was clearly insulting the point you attempted to make, which is stupid in case you didn't notice.

Think I might just report your post rather than get into an argument trading insults, I can smell a troll a mile away.

Have a good day.

So your alternative is to anoint Roberts as captain who is just as mentally fragile as Boyd?
I would not say that he is as mentally fragile as Boyd. He has had alcohol issues but he has been punished for that.

Boyd is at the back end of his career, do you want to have to be choosing another Captain in 1 or 2 years time?

Find it really surprising here that most don't rate Roberts as a player.

I dislike the fact that he is from NSW, but I will admit to admiring a players skills regardless of their home state.

Terry Matterson was one of the Broncos best ever.

But I digress, Roberts if given the Captaincy I think would also improve his game and off field attitude.

I am not trying to convince anyone to support that idea, that is just my thoughts, and in reality, what anyone on this forum thinks means **** all to the inner circle of the Broncos as a team, they and the coaching staff make the decisions. So whatever happens, happens.

I would not say that he is as mentally fragile as Boyd. He has had alcohol issues but he has been punished for that.

He is still mentally fragile.

He was punished, by given a 20k fine and some community service work. In a perfect world, that would be enough. But it's not a perfect world. People with dependancy issues have them for a reason and if that's the only punishment the Broncos handed to him, it's really not going to do much. He is going to need more help and more time to overcome those issues. It's not something that happens quickly.

The moment things go wrong for Roberts off the field, he starts to go back down the same path that got him sacked from two clubs and nearly sacked at another.

That's not the sign of someone that's got their shit together.

Roberts being captain would just be a recipe for disaster.

Boyd is at the back end of his career, do you want to have to be choosing another Captain in 1 or 2 years time?

I don't see why that should matter, to be honest. If he is the best person for the job, he should get the job regardless of his age. Besides, he has longer than 2 years left in him. He is 29.

You're new to this forum, so you probably wouldn't have seen the comments when Roberts signed with us. People on here do rate him as a player.

Their disagreement was with your comment that he was the best on the field last season, and he wasn't. I'm not sure how you could have possibly come to that conclusion.

You told people to watch the footage in the Benji Marshall thread. I think you need to go back and watch it again.

Last edited:
Why don't we make Oates captain? He's a good player and he's young so would be captain for ages. He's also white so would obviously be a good role model for white kids and there's been lots of great white players so he has the genes for it.

I'm sure all those vastly more experienced players in the team who have proven themselves at the highest level and overcome some of life's problems along the way would be happy to take orders from this kid. He's white and can run really fast and what more could you possibly want in a leader of men.

Roberts.

Obviously you watched very few games last year then. Roberts couldn't hold a candle to Boyd based on the way the two played last year. Unlike many, I think Roberts was fine last year, but Boyd was on another level and is deservedly in the running for the Golden Boot.

Absolute chalk and cheese between the two.

Last edited:

I dislike the fact that he is from NSW, but I will admit to admiring a players skills regardless of their home state.

Terry Matterson was one of the Broncos best ever.

But I digress, Roberts if given the Captaincy I think would also improve his game and off field attitude.

I am not trying to convince anyone to support that idea, that is just my thoughts, and in reality, what anyone on this forum thinks means **** all to the inner circle of the Broncos as a team, they and the coaching staff make the decisions. So whatever happens, happens.

You are off your tree pal. Boyd is 29 and based on this year (arguably his best ever) looks like he has 4-5 years at least in him.

That Roberts as captain post is a classic, making a new signature pic when I get home.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • mrslong
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • porouian
  • Spoon
  • I bleed Maroon
  • sooticus
  • Stix
  • Broncos Maestro
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • Alec
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • lynx000
  • MrRobot
  • Jazza
  • johnny plath
  • Robboi_321
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.