OFFICIAL Darius Boyd announces retirement

Lol
Hopefully this means he’ll stop playing conservatively to prolong his career and we’ll see him actually put in. if not hopefully Seibold has the balls to drop him.

I personally don’t think he’ll see out the season. Too many outside backs are knocking on the door and his trial form suggests he’ll be hard to justify picking.

That is patently false. It’s been well reported by both Bennett and Boyd that the Broncos didn’t want him and when he ran into Bennett in the car park in tears he said he would have him at the Dragons. It is one of the most retold stories in league so I am amazed you aren’t aware of it.

If we are going to have a go at the bloke at least make it factual.

lol glad I’m able to amaze you, however the only people willingly to talk about the matter are the two who had the biggest axe to grind against the club has me justifiably sceptical. I’m not having a go at him, I’m saying he was a high caliber player at the time who showed a lot of potential (which he lived up to) and it seems hard to believe the broncos would shop him around.

Bloody hell, only just catching up with this news. I'm currently working at Woodside's Karratha gas plant where we leave phones at camp, so no contact with the outside world till our shifts are over.

Haven't got too much to add but DB had some great moments at all levels of the game which he should be commended for.

lol glad I’m able to amaze you, however the only people willingly to talk about the matter are the two who had the biggest axe to grind against the club has me justifiably sceptical. I’m not having a go at him, I’m saying he was a high caliber player at the time who showed a lot of potential (which he lived up to) and it seems hard to believe the broncos would shop him around.

At the time that it happened he was a good winger at a club full of superstars. It’s really not hard to believe the well recorded truth unless you are trying to convince yourself of something so you can deride someone.

How much toilet paper will he free up?

I'm assuming players will get paid in that now.

Bird is 'apparently' on a million a year.. what does Ponga "apparently" want?

no he isn't ... although no one really knows what he is on since every time his salary is reported the figure changes ... initial reports stated around the 750k then they jumped to around 1-1.1 million (since that's reportedly what the Knights offer was, and why would he take less to come to us, right?) ... seems to have settled around the 850k mark.

one reason he couldn't be on a million a year is that Milford was supposedly offered the first $1 million a year contract in Broncos history ... and he signed AFTER Bird.

Ponga's demands are reportedly $1.5 million a year, the Knights offer is $1.2. a year (which we'd likely have to beat), all for a guy who hasn't even lead his team to the finals in the past ... no thanks

how's the kick-chase in Boyd's first try ... haven't seen ANYTHING like that in a while

Was one of those very rare occasions that I attended a live game with the feeling that we were never going to lose. The atmosphere was electric and it felt like one big party from start to finish. The city was just buzzing. Although I vividly remember having a heart in throat moment when Jack Reed let Blake Ferguson go past him a second time.

Last edited:
Second most tries in Origin (outside Greg Inglis for most of that - who was outside JT, Lockyer, Slater, and Smith and Cronk to a lesser extent.)

23 Games for Australia
28 Games for QLD
2 NRL Premierships
Clive Churchill Medal

Lest not forget he was 10 seconds away from legend status at Broncos. If only Benny Hunt had just hung on to the ball.

Started with the club as 18 year old. Never wanted to leave.

Darius hasn't been at his peak these past two years, but a lot of the criticism he has received from 'some' people has been unwarranted. Even if he isn't in the team, he'll still contribute. Don't doubt that. As much as people criticise him for being selfish, the respect of the players speaks volumes.

He's one of the last that brushed shoulders with this club's era of greats, not to mention THE QLD Origin era (with countless immortals) to never be repeated. He has a vast wealth of knowledge our young players can benefit from. He's ready to pass that knowledge on.

Thanks for all the efforts Darius.

LETS GO BRONCOS!

That's right, he broke his leg in Round 2 and missed the majority of the season. He came back and impressed in the later rounds, most on here wanted to stick with him but Bennett went with Boyd.

It was basically tomayto tomarto, fans didn't really mind until the next season when Boyd's crabbing became more pronounced, so Michaels had the edge with the fanbase.

Then in 2008 Nigel Vagana tore just about every ligament in Steve's knee and that was the end of him.

I reckon if you ever catch one of his 2009 games you can be forgiven for thinking he wasn't as bad as you remember. The Broncos stocks have gotten so bad, players like Kelly and Michaels have been elevated in retrospect.

At least early 2009, things got really ugly towards the end of the season culminating in that Canberra game.

That Vagana incident has stuck in memory ever since watching it live BP, it's up there with JYYs injury in that I'll never forget the moment.

That would be a crappy deal for the club to make.
No one not even Haas should be guaranteed their position.
He has to aim up and earn his position or his retirement is brought forward about 25 weeks.
Yet theres a 15 game performance review.
That would be a crappy deal for the club to make.
No one not even Haas should be guaranteed their position.
He has to aim up and earn his position or his retirement is brought forward about 25 weeks.
Yet this guy gets shuffled between positons when there are better options, just to keep him in the team. He is for us, the worst FB, worst Centre and you could say he is the worst Winger we have. But he will be there now, way past his 15 game bla bla bla

Yet theres a 15 game performance review.
Yet this guy gets shuffled between positons when there are better options, just to keep him in the team. He is for us, the worst FB, worst Centre and you could say he is the worst Winger we have. But he will be there now, way past his 15 game bla bla bla

I just think he still has to earn his position this year.
All that position shuffling last year can’t be repeated.
If he is no good this year he gets punted regardless of any 15 game review etc.

I think now it will be harder to guarantee him a position - sure hes 700k a year player, but if hes having rings run around him? They want to win a premiership.

Thurston has the same flaw- he cried when the Dogs didn’t want him. Sat in the car at Belmore crying.

Alf cried every retirement.
Kevvie cries every 10 minutes in camp.

AlI poor captains.
Thurston is probably the exception to the rule, he perfected the art of cryiing to the point it helped win him a premiership. And the other 2 well it's not like they were inconsolable, big difference between that and crying tears of pride\happiness\whatever. Besides they get a pass because they were winners that never gave up.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.