OFFICIAL Darius Boyd announces retirement

if Macca and Bird move on also, then there's enough money to get Ponga !
Bird is great, but why (and where on the paddock) we needed him so desperately, as to have him on nearly a million a year, is mystifying

Ponga is asking way too much ...

Lockyer was an inspiration for his never say die attitude, ability to come up with right plays at the right time, and he would ALWAYS bounce back from a form slump.

Boyd has none of these qualities.

Of course Lockyer was an inspired leader. Of course Boyd wasn't, and isn't. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I am hoping that the occasion of his retirement will cause the team to lift, to send him off on a winning note. He is as we are told, popular amongst the team. It therefore stands to reason they will lift for his last season.

In 2015, the whole team played inspired football. I don't recall any inspirational leader of Locky's calibre however the team lifted to great heights - as a team. I just want to see that energy, not individual performances as much as a whole team playing as one.

it’s going back a good number of years but I’m sure the officials didn’t want to lose a player of Darius’ caliber, based on Darius’ career I think it’s fair to say he followed Bennett to the dragons.

He didn’t follow Bennett to Souths because his career was nosediving and Souths would have wanted nothing to do with any talk involving Darius’ inclusion.

That is patently false. It’s been well reported by both Bennett and Boyd that the Broncos didn’t want him and when he ran into Bennett in the car park in tears he said he would have him at the Dragons. It is one of the most retold stories in league so I am amazed you aren’t aware of it.

If we are going to have a go at the bloke at least make it factual.

Is there anything suggesting this is the case? Boyd as we all remember was a great young player with terrific potential, as I said I can’t imagine the brains trust willingly let a player like him go without him putting their feet to the fire.
They let him go 100%, Pete is on the money. He did not want to leave and he was told that there was no position for him.

being inconsolable by being forced out of the club you love, mean's your not captain material?

stop talking out of your ass
Inconsolable........Inconsolable.

Sorry but when the chips are down I'd prefer leaders who keep their chin up rather than someone who runs to Wayne Bennett crying they don't want me. Reeks of entitlement and was never captain material. The proof is in the pudding anyway, his captaincy sucked and we turned to water everytime things got hard. And please spare lecturing me on the off-field responsibilities he competently fulfilled during his tenure as captain , almost identical to your repeated claims we have the best people at the helm of our club making the best decisions and things have always run smoothly. Nobody except the media and and the shareholders give a flying **** about that off-field bullshit you parrot.

Last edited:
They let him go 100%, Pete is on the money. He did not want to leave and he was told that there was no position for him.

Yep, he certainly didn't jump. He was pushed.

People often forget what it means to be a serious sporting organization when they get caught up in the sentimentalities of individuals. I refuse to believe Boyd isn't stupid or ignorant of this, as how could he be after being Bennett's favorite for so long, he must know that it's on him to realize when the gig is up. Andrew Johns didn't want to call it when he had to, Nor did Tallis or Yow Yeh or Gillett, but they all realized they were done physically. Even Tallis the sack of shit put club before himself, one of the few times he actually has. A single player is never bigger then the team. Ever. Boyd has clearly thought the opposite since the 2018 finals series. The club has seen enough, finally.

Last edited:
Typical Darius style. It reminds me of when he retired from representative Football, conveniently right after he wasn't picked for origin. He knows he wasn't getting 15 games this year so he's Narced up to alleviate the embarasment

Inconsolable........Inconsolable.

Sorry but when the chips are down I'd prefer leaders who keep their chin up rather than someone who runs to Wayne Bennett crying they don't want me. Reeks of entitlement and was never captain material. The proof is in the pudding anyway, his captaincy sucked and we turned to water everytime things got hard. And please spare lecturing me on the off-field responsibilities he competently fulfilled during his tenure as captain , almost identical to your repeated claims we have the best people at the helm of our club making the best decisions and things have always run smoothly. Nobody except the media and and the shareholders give a flying **** about that off-field bullshit you parrot.
This arm-chair psychology stuff is the real bullshit.

Results show Boyd probably wasn't a good captain. Drawing a link between his performance as captain to how he responded to disappointment as a 20 year old is pretty fucking stupid though.

how's the kick-chase in Boyd's first try ... haven't seen ANYTHING like that in a while

This arm-chair psychology stuff is the real bullshit.

Results show Boyd probably wasn't a good captain. Drawing a link between his performance as captain to how he responded to disappointment as a 20 year old is pretty fucking stupid though.
Why is it stupid? It's a very obvious character flaw trait. Hardly advanced psychology

Why is it stupid? It's a very obvious character flaw trait. Hardly advanced psychology
Because 20 year old Boyd was probably a very different person to present-day Boyd? I don't know mate, I'm not the one pretending to be a psychologist.

Yep, he certainly didn't jump. He was pushed.

People often forget what it means to be a serious sporting organization when they get caught up in the sentimentalities of individuals. I refuse to believe Boyd isn't stupid or ignorant of this, as how could he be after being Bennett's favorite for so long, he must know that it's on him to realize when the gig is up. Andrew Johns didn't want to call it when he had to, Nor did Tallis or Yow Yeh or Gillett, but they all realized they were done physically. Even Tallis the sack of shit put club before himself, one of the few times he actually has. A single player is never bigger then the team. Ever. Boyd has clearly thought the opposite since the 2018 finals series. The club has seen enough, finally.

Dont think you can really compare Boyd to any of those blokes. They had little choice to call it a day. Physically, they had serious injuries that could easily have been very bad for them in later life. Darius hasnt had a serious neck injury or a compound fracture.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Aldo
  • Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • eggstar10
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.