OFFICIAL Darius Boyd announces retirement

All the great 3 on 2 try assists sadly have been blocked out of my memory by forward passes into touch and hands in the air accompanied by forlorn stare at the winger. There is no way he rebounds back to nrl standard but since he is giving up a year on his contract only fair he gets a game or three to say farewell.
[automerge]1583463419[/automerge]
Contrast Boyd with Parker.
Even in his last season defenders could not stop his offloads. And we still miss that impact.

Last edited:
I don't think that's a fair assessment.

My understanding is that he left the Broncos because they didn't want him.

And he didn't follow Wayne to Souths.

Whatever the situation, he was in my mind a mercenary Maloney type player, only came back to the Broncos with Wayne and I'm convinced only didn't go to Souths because he was unwanted there. Never seemed like he played for the pride of the jersey and its shown in his actions for the past 2 years. No hard feelings or ill wishes, hope the best for him.

if Macca and Bird move on also, then there's enough money to get Ponga !
Bird is great, but why (and where on the paddock) we needed him so desperately, as to have him on nearly a million a year, is mystifying

I don't think Boyd is a mercenary - apparently he was inconsolable when the Broncos released him in 2008.

When the opportunity arose in 2014 to return home, he used that to better himself as a person.

He owes a lot to Bennett, one of the few people in his life who stuck by him, but he clearly loves the club as well.

if Macca and Bird move on also, then there's enough money to get Ponga !
Bird is great, but why (and where on the paddock) we needed him so desperately, as to have him on nearly a million a year, is mystifying

So far we have obviously paid overs for bird but if he can hit his straps this year we may start to get some return finally. I’m happy to wait until later in the year to make a call on him.
He also shouldn’t be playing origin because he really does owe us big time (don’t think he will be picked anyway).
As for ponga the knights are probably prepared to sell the farm to keep him so I don’t think we could compete dollar wise.
Main thing now is to get Fifita tied up.

Absolutely. This may well be the catalyst this side needs to reignite their passion, heart and soul into their football, something that has been missing for a few years.
Yeah, they shouldn’t need Darius to retire to put “passion, heart and soul into their football”, they should just do that anyway. You know, like they’re paid to.

Good on him, maybe a couple years to late. Bet the deal is: I will retire if you let me play more than 15 games so I dont retire in qcup

Yeah, they shouldn’t need Darius to retire to put “passion, heart and soul into their football”, they should just do that anyway. You know, like they’re paid to.

What I am talking about money can't buy. It's about the team putting in 110% as a team, as we did in 2015, playing for each other, with each other rather than professionals simply earning a living. It's about pride, pride in your club. I don't care where the inspiration comes from as long as it is there. Boyd's retirement might just start that ball rolling. We bloody need something to get that spark which unites this team, which has been missing for years.

I don't think that's a fair assessment.

My understanding is that he left the Broncos because they didn't want him.

And he didn't follow Wayne to Souths.

it’s going back a good number of years but I’m sure the officials didn’t want to lose a player of Darius’ caliber, based on Darius’ career I think it’s fair to say he followed Bennett to the dragons.

He didn’t follow Bennett to Souths because his career was nosediving and Souths would have wanted nothing to do with any talk involving Darius’ inclusion.

it’s going back a good number of years but I’m sure the officials didn’t want to lose a player of Darius’ caliber, based on Darius’ career I think it’s fair to say he followed Bennett to the dragons.

Henjak didn't want him. The Broncos already spent a small fortune to bring Folau and Ivan valued the young backs coming through - namely Beale, Hoffman, Will Tupou and Yow Yeh. Henjak had a choice between Michaels, Kemp and Boyd and chose Michaels.

Last edited:
What I am talking about money can't buy. It's about the team putting in 110% as a team, as we did in 2015, playing for each other, with each other rather than professionals simply earning a living. It's about pride, pride in your club. I don't care where the inspiration comes from as long as it is there. Boyd's retirement might just start that ball rolling. We bloody need something to get that spark which unites this team, which has been missing for years.
I agree that it’s about pride, but they should already have that, and a willingness to do what it takes to win. If they don’t have it, then they should **** off and play somewhere else.

I don't think Boyd is a mercenary - apparently he was inconsolable when the Broncos released him in 2008.
Inconsolable. That shold have been a pretty strong indicator he was never captain material.

I agree that it’s about pride, but they should already have that, and a willingness to do what it takes to win. If they don’t have it, then they should **** off and play somewhere else.

Yes they should, or did. Maybe it's been the lack of a decent spine and a proper leader on the park? Maybe it's the coach? Anyway that's all been done to death in these threads. Now there are absolutely no excuses. None at all.

Good on him, maybe a couple years to late. Bet the deal is: I will retire if you let me play more than 15 games so I dont retire in qcup

That would be a crappy deal for the club to make.
No one not even Haas should be guaranteed their position.
He has to aim up and earn his position or his retirement is brought forward about 25 weeks.

Lockyer was an inspiration for his never say die attitude, ability to come up with right plays at the right time, and he would ALWAYS bounce back from a form slump.

Boyd has none of these qualities.

Because he has been so ordinary for so long, it’s hard to remember the good times when he was even keeping Slater out of the 1 at rep level.

My last good memory of him in Broncos colours was when he took that intercept off of SKD to score the opener in the first minute of that home preliminary final in 2015.

It’s bloody sad that was 4 and a half years ago but it is what it is. He seemed to be a very good all round fullback when he was at the top of his game and had great vision which is why I find it hard that he hasn’t been able to utilise his vision and game awareness to contribute to the cause. We will know soon enough what this does for his 2020 season.

As much as I don’t really like the guy anymore because of the absolute mess of his last 24 months, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong because my agenda all along has always been about what’s best for the club and the club doing well on the field, not Darius. If Darius contributes to success in games in 2020, he can play for as long as he is contributing.

That roosters game was incredible. One of the best performances in broncos history. What a shame it’s barely been replicated since

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.