OFFICIAL Darius Boyd announces retirement

Inconsolable. That shold have been a pretty strong indicator he was never captain material.

That's my artistic spin, I just recall Bennett sharing the story in his book that Boyd came to him with tears in his eyes and said something to the effect of 'they don't want me'.

Point being, he didn't just follow Wayne to Sydney, he was pushed.

Last edited:
Of all the options, he went with the absolute worst one, and by some margin.

Strangely, if you went through the archives on here most would have been happy with the decision.

I think the battle between Michaels and Kemp is a lot closer than most fans would care to admit.

Of all the options, he went with the absolute worst one, and by some margin.
Well if your going to **** up why not go all out? Actually that is being a tad harsh, Michaels wasn't the worst back the Broncos have had over the years, he was just one of those run of the mill first graders who should at best be for depth.

Last edited:
Strangely, if you went through the archives on here most would have been happy with the decision.

I think the battle between Michaels and Kemp is a lot closer than most fans would care to admit.
From memory there was a bit of jostling between Michaels and Boyd even, Michaels looked ok earlier on and then i think broke his leg against Cronulla (?) and that's when the others went ahead of him in the pecking order.

And then, there was that fateful Souths game where they ran at him at every opportunity and scored and I think he got hooked by the 50th minute? Couldn't help but feel slightly sorry for him (whilst being completely irate) as he just looked completely at sea.

Last edited:

All I know is I always thought Michaels was pure shite, and I've never changed my mind haha.

Absolute liability in defence.

Bit harsh, if you got told that your boyhood team didn't want you, even at minimum wage, I'd gather you would be pretty upset too - I know I would be.
The broncs are my boyhood team and didn't want me even at minimum wage and I was never inconsolable about it. A grown man, inconsolable over not being offered a contract to play at his club of choice...not leadership material

The broncs are my boyhood team and didn't want me even at minimum wage and I was never inconsolable about it. A grown man, inconsolable over not being offered a contract to play at his club of choice...not leadership material
I disagree, showing emotion isn't a sign of weakness, what is this the 1950's?

From memory there was a bit of jostling between Michaels and Boyd even, Michaels looked ok earlier on and then i think broke his leg against Cronulla (?) and that's when the others went ahead of him in the pecking order.

And then, there was that fateful Souths game where they ran at him at every opportunity and scored and I think he got hooked by the 50th minute? Couldn't help but feel slightly sorry for him (whilst being completely irate) as he just looked completely at sea.

That's right, he broke his leg in Round 2 and missed the majority of the season. He came back and impressed in the later rounds, most on here wanted to stick with him but Bennett went with Boyd.

It was basically tomayto tomarto, fans didn't really mind until the next season when Boyd's crabbing became more pronounced, so Michaels had the edge with the fanbase.

Then in 2008 Nigel Vagana tore just about every ligament in Steve's knee and that was the end of him.

I reckon if you ever catch one of his 2009 games you can be forgiven for thinking he wasn't as bad as you remember. The Broncos stocks have gotten so bad, players like Kelly and Michaels have been elevated in retrospect.

At least early 2009, things got really ugly towards the end of the season culminating in that Canberra game.

Henjak didn't want him. The Broncos already spent a small fortune to bring Folau and Ivan valued the young backs coming through - namely Beale, Tupou and Yow Yeh. Henjak had a choice between Michaels, Kemp and Boyd and chose Michaels.

Is there anything suggesting this is the case? Boyd as we all remember was a great young player with terrific potential, as I said I can’t imagine the brains trust willingly let a player like him go without him putting their feet to the fire.

Is there anything suggesting this is the case? Boyd as we all remember was a great young player with terrific potential, as I said I can’t imagine the brains trust willingly let a player like him go without him putting their feet to the fire.

It's been reported a few times, Bennett's 2008 autobiography is one source I know off by heart.

As difficult as it is to believe, Boyd was an extremely polarising player with both fans and coaches. I know even after making his Origin debut, fans were hard pressed to give him credit.

I was so glad when the Broncos kept Michaels and let Darius go (oh boy). He was known as Surrrendaaaahhhhh in my household. It wasn't until he moved to fullback for the Dragons that he sort of began to be not useless. Always was king of the Surrender tackle though, our Darius.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that's the primary reason he did it now. If he didn't announce it we would've dropped him before the 15 game threshold so he couldn't activate his clause for 2021, and would've gone out a loser. This way, the club will look like pieces of shit if we drop him knowing full well it's his last season.

Well played Darius, you fucked us again.

I’m sure everyone would understand if we dropped him on poor form.
We’ve given him a free ride for the last two years anyway.

The club should grow a pair and drop him now,do what’s best for the team.
They are on the big bucks to make those big decisions

Cheers for reminding us what we already knew, Darbs.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.