NEWS Darius Boyd can't deal with Seibold

Seibold has used up more fullbacks than a pack of crayons.
Isaako, Niu, Milford, Boyd. Seibold simply doesn't know what he's doing. I can see where the fustration is coming from. Seibold once ordered Isaako not to pass the ball when playing FB, WTF? But that came out of Paul Kent's mouth, so take that with a grain of salt. Let's see if Gentle can make a difference without Seibold in the picture.

Anyone who reckons Gentle will do anything other than what Coach tells him to is kidding themselves. This isn’t a Flanagan suspension situation!

Talent will get you only so far. Mind games will be part of the game whether you like it or not, they don't have to be verbal things. Imagine the mental state of a player who gets smashed by absolutely perfect cutting tackle, they have a choice to run at the tackler a second time and try to beat him or to pick a different defender and thus affecting the team strategy. That is a mind game in and of itself. Gaining a psychological edge in cricket by a batsman pacing down the pitch can be countered by a bowler bowling a yorker or a bouncer, it has nothing to do with talent, simply having the mental acuity to face a challenge from a competitor. Milf gets targeted in defense and so he tends to hold down in tackles and slow the play and recently that has resulted in many 6-agains, but he hasn't copped to that and continues to lazily defend, then he feels targeted and phones the rest of the game in.
I'm OK with a lot of what you described, because a lot of that is talent, and all of it is about the actual sport.
What I was talking about was verbal sledging, an old fashioned 'your mother wears army boots' to get under the skin or inside the head of the opponent.
I know people do it and I know most people accept it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
The moment you open your mouth and sledge an opponent, you are saying you don't believe you have the talent to beat them.
When I copped a bit of the mind games, my confidence went up, because I knew my opponent thought I was better than them - thanks coach :)

And my coach always used to tell me, if you can't beat them with talent, don't beat them at all, mind games are nothing but cheating.

Different views :)
Your coach sounds like a Flanders

Last edited:
Seibold has used up more fullbacks than a pack of crayons.
Isaako, Niu, Milford, Boyd. Seibold simply doesn't know what he's doing. I can see where the fustration is coming from. Seibold once ordered Isaako not to pass the ball when playing FB, WTF? But that came out of Paul Kent's mouth, so take that with a grain of salt. Let's see if Gentle can make a difference without Seibold in the picture.

So what choice did Seibold have for our FB given Boyd's failure there say last year, which, IIRC was the general consensus amongst us in this forum? Correct me if I am wrong. The club recruited Boyd to be our FB and captrain, to lead us into the future as our younger players developed. So he was dropped because he didn't live up to expectations.

Given this, what options did Seibold have for FB? Lodge? Rather, he had a choice from the "pack of crayons" given him by the club: Isaako, Niu, Milford. Is that on Seibold?

As for what came out of Paul Kent's mouth, seems to me more like his arse, the source of so many farts of fiction whose stink describes a lot of NRL reporting.

As for any difference that Gentle might make, well, he still has the same pack of crayons, or rather cards. The question then becomes what cards he deals, and I doubt somehow that Seibold is completely out of the picture unless the malignant rumours going around have ruined him, helped by Boyd's premeditated undermining, cold and calculated it seems to me, and having absolutely nothing to do with his depression.

Last edited:
As for any difference that Gentle might make, well, he still has the same pack of crayons, or rather cards. The question then becomes what cards he deals, and I doubt somehow that Seibold is completely out of the picture unless the malignant rumours going around have ruined him, helped by Boyd's premeditated undermining, cold and calculated it seems to me, and having absolutely nothing to do with his depression.
Nah, Seibs is fucked. Dead man walking. Just on the footy front alone he is cooked and it's plain to see he has no answers.

I do feel sorry for the man though. If ever anyone was set up to fail it is Seibs.
Not just by what he walked into with Waynes leftovers but all the circumstance around it including Covid, the rule changes, the old boys openly undermining him at the first sign of trouble and the relentless hammering he has copped from the media.

At the end of the day none of that matters moving forward because he hasn't been able to hold back that tidal wave and show he can turn it around.

Our club demands results, the results are not there.

Nah, Seibs is fucked. Dead man walking. Just on the footy front alone he is cooked and it's plain to see he has no answers.

I do feel sorry for the man though. If ever anyone was set up to fail it is Seibs.
Not just by what he walked into with Waynes leftovers but all the circumstance around it including Covid, the rule changes, the old boys openly undermining him at the first sign of trouble and the relentless hammering he has copped from the media.

At the end of the day none of that matters moving forward because he hasn't been able to hold back that tidal wave and show he can turn it around.

Our club demands results, the results are not there.
I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He left Souths where he had a contract ready to go, and signed a contract where a coach already was. It's a dog eat dog industry and he proved to be a dog. He can wipe his tears away with his 2.5m payout.

Hope he ***** off tomorrow, personal issues or not, he can sort that out away from the limelight. As a club he needs to be gone. What are the board waiting for? I honestly don't get it anymore. The club is such a fucking disaster and it seems to only be sinking to new lows each week.

Don’t forget using his daughters as an excuse to guilt trip Bennett and the board to get here sooner

I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He left Souths where he had a contract ready to go, and signed a contract where a coach already was. It's a dog eat dog industry and he proved to be a dog. He can wipe his tears away with his 2.5m payout.

Hope he ***** off tomorrow, personal issues or not, he can sort that out away from the limelight. As a club he needs to be gone. What are the board waiting for? I honestly don't get it anymore. The club is such a fucking disaster and it seems to only be sinking to new lows each week.
Hate to get on your bad side, geez, that's harsh

Well it's professional sport, what do you expect?
Never said it wasn't I just have some sympathy for the situation he is in even though a lot of it is his own doing.

At then end of the day he has not measured up and the club has to make the call sooner rather than later.

Clearly the board isn't ready to admit they made a bad decision and are seemingly going to let the incoming CEO make that call.

I'm OK with a lot of what you described, because a lot of that is talent, and all of it is about the actual sport.
What I was talking about was verbal sledging, an old fashioned 'your mother wears army boots' to get under the skin or inside the head of the opponent.
I know people do it and I know most people accept it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
The moment you open your mouth and sledge an opponent, you are saying you don't believe you have the talent to beat them.
When I copped a bit of the mind games, my confidence went up, because I knew my opponent thought I was better than them - thanks coach :)
Sure, or maybe they just like to chat shit. That's fun sometimes too. I mean, wasn't Steve Waugh actually pretty freaking good, but still liked to sledge because he was a cheeky prick? I don't endorse it, but I think in general some people are just jerks.
Justjerks

Yeah, I'm not casting dispersion on so-called mental health issues, and the gamut of personal problems that get painted with that brush. And certainly not bipolar disorder, depression and other clinically diagnosed issues.

Just in this instance, these guys are extremely highly paid elite athletes. Some are on more money than jet fighter pilots, surgeons, elite soldiers and the Prime Minister. Consider they were in Special Forces training. If they fail the mental side, they don't make the cut. Well this is even more competitive, and the pay's much better, plus you get public adulation.

I agree with everything apart from professional footy being more competitive. Guys who make the cut in Special Forces are under a lot more pressure to perform than a footy player and for less money too.

I agree with everything apart from professional footy being more competitive. Guys who make the cut in Special Forces are under a lot more pressure to perform than a footy player and for less money too.
I thought that's what I said. It was what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

This has been well ventilated before on here but we seem to always come back to it. So here goes. The problem with simply sacking Seibold is of itself, not the solution to the bigger problem the club faces. Doing so simply allows the board to evade responsibility and avoid accountability for the consequences of their choices, Seibold being one of them. The board needs a sword, and it needs to fall on it whether or not Seibold is sacked tomorrow or at the end of the season or if at all. If Seibold goes, the board goes, or it ought to anyway.

From what I know, the board is the root cause of most of this, and the club's predicament appears to extend back well before Seibold was appointed. Player development as Gould points out, and our shitty recruitment and retention tactics point to this - the cards Seibold was dealt to play.

Maybe the board is reluctant to sack Seibold because it knows that to do so is a glaring admission of their failure, and their incompetence, and that sacking Seibold is in itself the sword that beckons its fall.

Last edited:
Never said it wasn't I just have some sympathy for the situation he is in even though a lot of it is his own doing.

At then end of the day he has not measured up and the club has to make the call sooner rather than later.

Clearly the board isn't ready to admit they made a bad decision and are seemingly going to let the incoming CEO make that call.

This needs context. Other clubs in similar or worse circumstances persisted with new coaches, mostly. The Eels are one example. We can see where they are now. I am not excusing Seibold's shortcomings, merely echoing what Einstein said: make everything as simple as possible, but never simpler. Oversimplifying leads to bad outcomes. A culture of instant gratification creates the very problems it tries to solve, or avoid. This is not just Seibold, this is the board, the club. There needs to be some perspective here that examines all the facts and not focused on easy targets.

Last edited:
Sure, or maybe they just like to chat shit. That's fun sometimes too. I mean, wasn't Steve Waugh actually pretty freaking good, but still liked to sledge because he was a cheeky prick? I don't endorse it, but I think in general some people are just jerks.
View attachment 9299
Or maybe it's just my coaches perspective, and he found a way to turn a potential negative into a positive
Sounds like a good coach :)

Hate to get on your bad side, geez, that's harsh
I understand it's harsh but this is business, not personal. It's not like he accidentally fell into this situation, he bit off more than he can chew and he sucks at his job. Why should I feel sorry for him? He gets almost a million a year, he's the last person I'm going to feel sorry for if he sucks at his job. He can retire with a payout, it's not like he's going to be on struggle street, or he can get go start a business and have an awesome job without the pressure of media or money ever being an issue.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • Lozza
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.