VOTE Darius Boyd vs Billy Slater

Who should be the Maroons fullback for Game II

• Billy Slater

• Darius Boyd

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

GKDonkey

NRL Captain
They are both great players. But different skill sets.

The only way you can fit both is to have Slater at fullback and Boyd in 3/4. Slater in the 3/4 (wing) in Origin has been tried and was underwhelming. It's the last chance to see Slater, Thurston, Cronk and Smith together. I'd hate to pass it up.

We are so short on depth in the centres that Darbs at centre and Slater at fullback is a much stronger team than any other combo. Gagai and Morgan would be a turnstyle in the centres. Who else are you going to pick in the centres after ONeill goes?

To me, it's not about Slater v Boyd for no.1 . it's about what is the only sensible option for a back 5 - and that's Slater 1 and Boyd centres.
Gagai and Chambers

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I don't get why people want to play Boyd at centre but not Gagai. Gagai actually plays there regularly and it's origin, club defense for Newcastle of all teams means nothing, look how good Gagai has been in every rep game he's played thus far.

KnToad

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
If you watched the Storm game last night you just can't ignore Slater's form. He has been strong since his return and missing out on Origin seems to have pushed him up another gear.
You can talk permutations and the future til you're blue in the face. If Slater is in the Qld team it's a stronger team.
Full stop.

And ftr I hate the storm and I don't particularly like Slater either. When we play them I hate his guts coz I think he is a bit of a grub like the rest of his storm mates.
But when it comes to beating those fkn roaches especially after listening to the sickening bile coming out of their supporters and the NSW media since Wednesday night then nothing else matters but beating them at home in Origin II and putting them back in their place.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
If you watched the Storm game last night you just can't ignore Slater's form. He has been strong since his return and missing out on Origin seems to have pushed him up another gear.
You can talk permutations and the future til you're blue in the face. If Slater is in the Qld team it's a stronger team.
Full stop.

And ftr I hate the storm and I don't particularly like Slater either. When we play them I hate his guts coz I think he is a bit of a grub like the rest of his storm mates.
But when it comes to beating those fkn roaches especially after listening to the sickening bile coming out of their supporters and the NSW media since Wednesday night then nothing else matters but beating them at home in Origin II and putting them back in their place.
It was only the knights.

Point well made, though.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Let's just see how Boyd responds tonight.

Slaters game last night was against the soon to be 3x consecutive wooden spooners.

KnToad

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast

Slaters game last night was against the soon to be 3x consecutive wooden spooners.
Yeh fair enough but you can only play the team
In front of you and he didn't sit on his backside and take it easy.
It is also on the end of a bunch of pretty impressive displays since his return.
I thought he would be a shadow of his former self when he came back. He wasnt exactly brilliant in his last season or so before his long injury layoff as it was but he has come back on fire and he's only played 10 games.
The guy is a champion player and seems to have a bug up his ass now to prove it after not being picked. He will be champing at the bit if he gets picked and he will drag the rest of the team along with him.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Yeah mate for sure. No one expected billy to come back this well and it's a credit to him that's he's done it.

QLD JANE

BRL Player
So is Billy a must pick after what we saw from him and Boyd this weekend?
Give Billy one more crack I say!

johnny plath

QCup Player
I don't see him as a must pick just because he beat up on the knights. Its not really a fair comparison with boyd who backed up from origin against a tough roosters side. In fair dinkum stakes, its slaters defence that was raised as an issue by the qld selectors, and if thats the case he didn't help his cause with a lazy effort chasing a kick ingoal which led to a newcastle try.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
nope he still isn't a must pick...

all it will do is delay us in preparing our next generation from being ready to dominate the Blues.

time to move on from Slater, Myles and Lillyman. They've served us well, so i suggest they be invited to game three where they can received their proper farewell and thankyou from the QLD crowd

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Boyd'a last few games have been decidedly average, I don't want to go back to Slater but if Boyd's next game is also poor, Qld may have no choice.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
nope he still isn't a must pick...

all it will do is delay us in preparing our next generation from being ready to dominate the Blues.

time to move on from Slater, Myles and Lillyman. They've served us well, so i suggest they be invited to game three where they can received their proper farewell and thankyou from the QLD crowd
How does it delay it exactly?

Slater would only be taking Boyd's spot - and Boyd would still be in the team probably at the expense of O'Neill.

The team for the second game has to be picked on form.

ZeBigLebowski

NYC Player
Using slater performance against the Knights as a catalyst to propel him into the Maroons side is like saying the Warriors are back after beating the broncs. Sure it's impressive but it's all smoke and mirrors

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Using slater performance against the Knights as a catalyst to propel him into the Maroons side is like saying the Warriors are back after beating the broncs. Sure it's impressive but it's all smoke and mirrors
Boyd and Slater will be looking to impress the next two weeks. You can only play the team you're put against.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Yeah I have been quite vocal in saying I don't want to go back to Slater BUT I think the situations are very different.

The Warriors have never been class, they have a history of going well when other teams are depleted and that's it.

Slater has a very long history of playing at the level he did against the Knights but his history is against every side, good or bad

Big Del

QCup Player
He is 32 and hasn't played at that level in 2 years.

It is a big step up, especially in the speed the game is played.
Big step up for a man who has played 14 seasons of NRL ?
Debuted for Australia 9 years ago . Ye of little faith .

Bill offers more in attack and backing up down the middle of the park . When was the last time we saw Darius back up in support down the middle or chime in mid field through the ruck ?
Slater more threat returning the ball .

I had Bill at 1 Darius at 2 in my side for game 1. But that would mean dropping Corey Oates . Tough call . With out Oates`s carries we are struggling .

Darius didn`t do much wrong . Dropping him for Slater I can`t select him over Oates or Gagai as a winger . Sorry Darius .

Last edited:

Big Del

QCup Player

I saw Darius grab at his groin late in the match Saturday afternoon after being tackled and doing the splits . Could be a groin strain ??

Last edited:

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Big step up for a man who has played 14 seasons of NRL ?
Debuted for Australia 9 years ago . Ye of little faith .

Bill offers more in attack and backing up down the middle of the park . When was the last time we saw Darius back up in support down the middle or chime in mid field through the ruck ?
Slater more threat returning the ball .

I had Bill at 1 Darius at 2 in my side for game 1. But that would mean dropping Corey Oates . Tough call . With out Oates`s carries we are struggling .

Darius didn`t do much wrong . Dropping him for Slater I can`t select him over Oates or Gagai as a winger . Sorry Darius .
If you're suggesting Boyd gets left out all together you're on another planet. He's played 27 games straight. Speak about ye of little faith.

That said Slater is in far better form at the moment. I still think Boyd is the better selection but it sounds as if Billy will be at the back. They can't drop either Oates or Gagai so Gagai will likely be in the centres with Boyd on one wing. Val will just have to wait his turn as none of the backs, apart from O'neil have turned in a poor performance.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
If Slater comes back you can lock in a win for game 2.

It'll be the down and out champion, doubted by QLD selectors, comes back to save the state. The media will run with it, and the NRL will instructs the refs to make it happen, both for that, and for a decider.

soup

State of Origin Rep
If Slater comes back you can lock in a win for game 2.

It'll be the down and out champion, doubted by QLD selectors, comes back to save the state. The media will run with it, and the NRL will instructs the refs to make it happen, both for that, and for a decider.
"... like sand through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives..."

Such a predicatable soap opera these days, you are dead right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter