NEWS Darren Lockyer confirms Brisbane Broncos' Brodie Croft signing

I still don't know what your point is man lol, of course having one player who makes a 20 tackles efficiently is not going to translate to your ENTIRE TEAM having a good defence.. Isn't that like.. obvious? It's a team game.

If you have a lot of players who are high work rate, high efficiency defenders you're more than likely going to have a good defence though, that's why Melbourne is so good, there's almost no defensive weaknesses across the park individually.

As with all stats, you need them in a certain context to read anything into them. Like you said about Taylor, his tackles could have been flops, but so could Crofts, or DCE's.

Its a good point you make though about a team like Melbourne being collectively good in defence as well as individually. The two generally do go hand in hand.

😕

As with all stats, you need them in a certain context to read anything into them. Like you said about Taylor, his tackles could have been flops, but so could Crofts, or DCE's.

Yeah, they weren't though. I watched a lot of NRL this season, Croft & DCE were beasts defensively for their clubs, regularly first man in on edge backrowers, rarely making bad reads.

Didn't watch much Titans though, so that's why I haven't got a clue if Taylor improved defensively or if it's an anomaly :p

😕

Yeah, they weren't though. I watched a lot of NRL this season, Croft & DCE were beasts defensively for their clubs, regularly first man in on edge backrowers, rarely making bad reads.

Didn't watch much Titans though, so that's why I haven't got a clue if Taylor improved defensively or if it's an anomaly :p

But the stats dont prove that ( or disprove it either ). They just say tackles made and efficiency. I think they way they look at a lot of stat based things needs an overhaul. They are too vague a lot of the time.

But the stats dont prove that ( or disprove it either ). They just say tackles made and efficiency. I think they way they look at a lot of stat based things needs an overhaul. They are too vague a lot of the time.

The stats don't tell you everything, but they tell you enough to know that he's not a bad defender (which is what someone was claiming)

If you want to see what a genuinely bad defensive players stats look like, check out Jimmy Maloney.

The stats don't tell you everything, but they tell you enough to know that he's not a bad defender (which is what someone was claiming)

If you want to see what a genuinely bad defensive players stats look like, check out Jimmy Maloney.
And the fact is Maloney goes great, apart from penalties conceded. Bottom line is I don't care how bad a half defends. They aren't brought in for their defence.

Not sure I'd take these stats at face value. Here's a sample from our last seven games. O'Sullivan appears to be a far superior defender to Turpin.

Turpin
Broncos 4 Storm: 40: 19, 76%
Broncos 18 Cowboys 14: 20, 90.9%
Broncos 24 Panthers 12: 24, 85.7% (71 minutes)

O'Sullivan
Broncos 20 Rabbitohs 22: 38, 88.4%
Broncos 17 Eels 16: 32, 88.9% (82 minutes)

Turpin
Broncos 14 Bulldogs 30: 22, 78.6%
Broncos 0 Eels 58: 28, 75.7%

Yet in that game we won against the Roosters, Dearden made 20 tackles at 80% (80 minutes), while Turpin (at starting hooker) made 33 at 94.3% (52 minutes).
I think that kind of proves how poor a defender Turpin was on the edge at 7 compared to when he defends in the middle and cuts blokes in half

I'm still trying to fathom the Ash Taylor one!
[automerge]1574756316[/automerge]
Preview of 2020:

Thing is though, you can pull off big hits and still be a poor defender positionally. Not really fair to judge Turpin at 7 anyway as he isnt a 7. Defends much better at hooker anyway.

Last edited:

They also tell you he didn't set up shit offensively goes both ways.

Going off Lockys comments it will be Croft Milf Isaako Turps in our spine. Throw in Bird and Staggs in the centres and thats at least looking competent

What’s our best spine for next year?

1. ???
6. Milford
7. Croft
9. Turpin

Or

1. Milford
6. Dearden
7. Croft
9. Turpin

Is option b too much inexperienced rbe halves?

If he’s fit and healthy, I’m going jack bird at fullback. He is looking slimmer in some pre season pics too.

Last edited:
Going off Lockys comments it will be Croft Milf Isaako Turps in our spine. Throw in Bird and Staggs in the centres and thats at least looking competent

Cooking with Nitromethane with that combo!

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Harry Sack
  • Astro
  • Stix
  • Broncosgirl
  • mrtij
  • Aldo
  • Redfern_1980
  • Alec
  • RodF
  • Purple Pills
  • bazza
  • UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • DrGee
  • OnToSomething
  • Battler
  • Skathen
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Lazza
  • NSW stables
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.