OFFICIAL Dave Donaghy Named New Broncos CEO

It'll be interesting to see how this actually goes. If the staff aren't under contract you can't dictate where their next job can be if it's not already written into the terms, and if they are I don't understand how you can enforce the idea that they might be allowed to leave to 14 competitors but not the 15th.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and in no way competent to venture opinions in this regard, for external use only, if symptoms persist see your doctor.
Commercially, they have little to stand on. They will be relying on non compete clauses to cover that base for them. In reality, good luck, half of them wont wash in federal/supreme court due to restriction of trade etc etc etc. If it was a majority shareholder thats a different story.

Nothing stopping him having a 'conversation' on what he would do if he were ceo if he were to run into paul white at a private bbq?

Donaghy meeting Paul White on his first day in the building.

Who would have thought when this thread was first opened that we would be nearly 21 pages deep and 4 months down the track while still having no idea who's "incoming".
We know exactly who's incoming ... we've known for months

We knew Siebold was a great coach, we knew Fifita was staying, we knew our new CEO was coming in February. I'd prefer to see it actually come about rather than be content "knowing" it'll happen eventually.

We knew Siebold was a great coach, we knew Fifita was staying, we knew our new CEO was coming in February. I'd prefer to see it actually come about rather than be content "knowing" it'll happen eventually.

Without rumours, what would the CM put to print?

It'll be interesting to see how this actually goes. If the staff aren't under contract you can't dictate where their next job can be if it's not already written into the terms, and if they are I don't understand how you can enforce the idea that they might be allowed to leave to 14 competitors but not the 15th.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and in no way competent to venture opinions in this regard, for external use only, if symptoms persist see your doctor.
Spot on, I was going to type exactly the same thing, then I saw your post and don't need to :)

You can't enforce it but clubs come to understandings you won't raid us when you leave. Barrett's deal involved a handshake don't take our staff and players.

You can't enforce it but clubs come to understandings you won't raid us when you leave. Barrett's deal involved a handshake don't take our staff and players.
How'd that turn out

And then he took them anyway 🤣🤣

How'd that turn out

Pretty well I would think, they only lost their back up half who they've played six times in two years. Panthers didn't really rush to re-sign him and didn't even have him in their 36 when he made his debut in 2019.

I am a massive Burton fan and have been since he destroyed Souths Logan in 2018 so I am not bagging him but Penrith have 15 Burtons.

Pretty well I would think, they only lost their back up half who they've played six times in two years. Panthers didn't really rush to re-sign him and didn't even have him in their 36 when he made his debut in 2019.

I am a massive Burton fan and have been since he destroyed Souths Logan in 2018 so I am not bagging him but Penrith have 15 Burtons.
I thought they were pretty keen to keep him , even pushing him into the backrow was suggested to keep him.

Plus I think his experience at the club would have soured a return, especially what he thought of Milford.
I don’t think so. The club threw him a lifeline last time he was facing a forced retirement and then let him walk when we needed him most because his home club found a spot for him. He should love the club. I’m sure he’s had plenty of lazier guys than Milford on his team during his 10 years at the floundering perennial 9th placers.

I don’t think so. The club threw him a lifeline last time he was facing a forced retirement and then let him walk when we needed him most because his home club found a spot for him. He should love the club. I’m sure he’s had plenty of lazier guys than Milford on his team during his 10 years at the floundering perennial 9th placers.
I don't think he would hate the club, but it would have definitely left a sour taste and would feel far less likely to return. Many of the complaints at the time on here were that Benji with the experience he offered that he was being underutilised and rightly so, rarely getting a starting opportunity and barely utilised correctly off the bench, behind an ever growing struggling Hunt and a lazy team mate who wouldn't have ended up in his present situation with hard work and attitude. I could understand feeling frustrated when your seeking a fresh opportunity only to be held back and when he was given a proper opportunity back at the Tigers you saw what he could offer.

Maybe if he didn't have other offers on the card an opportunity would be there, but he had quite a few to work with, including in Sydney and he was keen to stay in Sydney anyway.

Last edited:

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • Organix
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosMan
  • ezpz
  • jd87
  • Scorchie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • westy316
  • Battler
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.