OFFICIAL David Fifita signs with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol yeah, ask Taylor or Hayne about the scrutiny of being a highly paid titans import.

You are right about that, considering he will be the highest paid player in the NRL. It doesn't discount the fact there is alot of scrutiny playing for the Broncos though. Paul White touched on it on 100% footy playing for the Broncos you are praised more when things are going well and you get scrutinised more when things are not. It just comes with the territory.

Alan Langer said in his book he found the scrutiny too much. So much so that he wanted to leave and play for the Adelaide Rams where there wouldn't be so much pressure but Wayne Bennett talked him out of it.

Last edited:
Watching the Titans opening against the Warriors, we should be safe keeping him.

Last edited:
Failing to get Ash Taylor back was one of the luckiest moments for our club.

Failing to get Ash Taylor back was one of the luckiest moments for our club.

I think he's been going alright to be honest, not million-dollar good by any means but $400k good.

I'm glad Pies has learned to shut his mouth in the context of contract negotiations. If he doesn't 'leak' that Fifita had called him to say he was staying then the Tits were none the wiser and don't make their improved offer of $1.25 mil.

Unfortunately, he may just have learned this lesson too late to retain a brilliant young forward. If he walks now it's all squarely on Pies and another example of why theBroncos should never be letting a coach learn on the job.

I'm glad Pies has learned to shut his mouth in the context of contract negotiations. If he doesn't 'leak' that Fifita had called him to say he was staying then the Tits were none the wiser and don't make their improved offer of $1.25 mil.

Unfortunately, he may just have learned this lesson too late to retain a brilliant young forward. If he walks now it's all squarely on Pies and another example of why theBroncos should never be letting a coach learn on the job.

I’m all for bashing pies but this is ludicrous. Fifita rang the Titans to inform them he was staying at the Broncos and that’s when they upped their offer to 1.25M.

I'm going to throw another one out there - if the Titans genuinely have $1.25 million to spend next year, they could do far worse than to offer that same cash to Cameron Smith.

It's only short term relative to Fifita I know, but the guy is still the best Dummy Half in the business, the most decorated leader in the game for a club that desperately needs one, an absolute marquee player that sponsors and fans will flock to, an absolute Queensland legend, and he also plays the most critical spine position in a side that the Titans desperately need to fill.

These are all big pluses that David Fifita doesn't meet in any way. I'm not saying for all clubs that Smith would be the right move, but if I was the Titans and I had that kind of cash to spare, I think Smith gives them more in a single season that they can build on for the long term than Fifita can hope to bring to the table.

You know which other club desperately needs a leader? The broncos. Heck, they could use him as captain coach.

I’m all for bashing pies but this is ludicrous. Fifita rang the Titans to inform them he was staying at the Broncos and that’s when they upped their offer to 1.25M.
Not ludicrous, Pies was quoted in the paper saying he had rung him to inform he was staying.
From the CM "Fifita rang Seibold on Tuesday night to reveal he was quitting the club to join the Titans next year, only to sensationally backflip, calling the Broncos coach again yesterday to say he had a change of heart. Broncos management had a 30-minute meeting with Fifita on Thursday morning. "

Last edited:
Not ludicrous, Pies was quoted in the paper saying he had rung him to inform he was staying.
From the CM "Fifita rang Seibold on Tuesday night to reveal he was quitting the club to join the Titans next year, only to sensationally backflip, calling the Broncos coach again yesterday to say he had a change of heart. Broncos management had a 30-minute meeting with Fifita on Thursday morning. "

But that isn’t when they upped their offer. They already did that the night before.

Last edited:
But that isn’t when they upped their offer. They already did that the night before.
No, that was their first offer that was upped the night before. Pretty sure, the $1.25 offer came after Pies confirmed he was staying as since that offer it has all gone quiet.

You do realise it is a contract negotiation. The whole process is back and forth to try to increase your price, like a house... the titans have made it this way..

I really think this is a shocking result for all parties if he takes the titans deal (bar the manager he hates). The first year will be all rosy and everyone will be celebrating his signing and what a great moment in titans history it is, but then the 1.25 million dollar man will be getting hammered in the media when he doesn't get the titans to win nearly every game. Look at Ben hunt. And the titans, honestly, I know I'm a Broncos fan but WTF ARE THEY THINKING. He could be the greatest 2nd rower in the NRL history and still not be worth that amount, it's insane. He might win you 2 or 3 close games a year but he will not keep you in every game, that's who you pay the top dollar too.if you're in every game in the last 10 minutes you are much further up the ladder then a team that wins close games every now and then but are not consistently I the game to begin with. And the 2 or 3 games he will win you is being generous , he did it for us because the opposition wasn't thinking "watch fifita, the 2nd rower could win it for them", they were watching players like Milford and roberts in those games, now he has a reputation for it and will be paid 1.25 million a year teams will number up and rush up on him in tight games, especially with titans lacking in the match winners department.

Last edited:
You do realise it is a contract negotiation. The whole process is back and forth to try to increase your price, like a house... the titans have made it this way..

I really think this is a shocking result for all parties if he takes the titans deal (bar the manager he hates). The first year will be all rosy and everyone will be celebrating his signing and what a great moment in titans history it is, but then the 1.25 million dollar man will be getting hammered in the media when he doesn't get the titans to win nearly every game. Look at Ben hunt. And the titans, honestly, I know I'm a Broncos fan but WTF ARE THEY THINKING. He could be the greatest 2nd rower in the NRL history and still not be worth that amount, it's insane. He might win you 2 or 3 close games a year but he will not keep you in every game, that's who you pay the top dollar too.if you're in every game in the last 10 minutes you are much further up the ladder then a team that wins close games every now and then but are not consistently I the game to begin with. And the 2 or 3 games he will win you is being generous , he did it for us because the opposition wasn't thinking "watch fifita, the 2nd rower could win it for them", they were watching players like Milford and roberts in those games, now he has a reputation for it and will be paid 1.25 million a year teams will number up and rush up on him in tight games, especially with titans lacking in the match winners department.
Of course it's a contract negotiation and that's why it should be held as far away from the media as possible. Tell em nothin - take em nowhere!

Do you really think the Titans would not have been called to say he wasn’t accepting their offer and that he was staying at the Broncos?

Mal is a businessman. He isn’t going to make offers based on what’s being said in the media. He would have been personally told. He would have figured out a ceiling of how much to offer before he entered negotiations. Offered a lower amount to begin with then upped his offer when he was told Fifita is not coming.

It is ludicrous.

Do you really think the Titans would not have been called to say he wasn’t accepting their offer and that he was staying at the Broncos?

Mal is a businessman. He isn’t going to make offers based on what’s being said in the media. He would have been personally told. He would have figured out a ceiling of how much he was going to offer before he entered negotiations. Upped his offer when he was told Fifita is not coming.

It is ludicrous.
Mate unless you have some information we don't there is no way you could know this happened. We do know however, that Pies let it out that Fifita had rung him to say he was staying. So I say again not ludicrous, contract negotiations should be kept completely under wraps until the player is signed.

So is he staying or not?
FFS, just GET IT DONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Waynesaurus
  • Cavalo
  • Browny
  • Allo
  • IceWorks
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • Kev_Guz
  • Foordy
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Howie
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.