DCE backflips to stay at Manly

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Matty's mail is if Manly offer what he wants, he will stay.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
What a load of crap.

"Ah yeah, just getting mail in, trying to confirm it, but it looks as though the sun may come up in the east tomorrow. Let's cross live now to Big Gordie at the Titans"

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I do think DCE will stay at Manly.

Any player that backflips is a dog.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
It would be sweet irony if a club under NRL governance were to be fucked over by one of the most ridiculous administrative rules in sport.

And it would probably keep the scum's grubby hands of Ash Taylor as a bonus!

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
The bonus is the Titans suffer, keeping Taylor is the main prize!

curious to know though what would happen if this were disputed in the courtroom. NRL laws aside if the Titans have a signed contract and he does backflip, would they have any rights in court to enforce it? Being NRL assisted it won't happen here but I could see it happening if it were possible. Not sure it is though?

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I have no doubt the courts would decide for the club, although there may be some sneaky clauses in the standard contracts to protect the NRL.
The court might not be able to force the NRL to homologate the contract, but I can't see how it would allow a player to renege on a signed contract with a club...

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Probably because the contract states they have a cooling off period until Round 13. In which case, move on.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I would say there is zero chance this could be challenged in court.

Firstly, there is a contractual agreement throughout the sport that there is the rd13 cooling off period.

Secondly, Until round 13 when the contract is registered with the NRL it is little more than an expression of interest, there is nothing the courts could do about that.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It would be sweet irony if a club under NRL governance were to be fucked over by one of the most ridiculous administrative rules in sport.

And it would probably keep the scum's grubby hands of Ash Taylor as a bonus!

But it would probably put Taylor right into the crosshairs of the Titans

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
But it would probably put Taylor right into the crosshairs of the Titans

This.

Hopefully the voice of Bennett is able to show him how that club, as it stand, is a career killer.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I would say there is zero chance this could be challenged in court.

Firstly, there is a contractual agreement throughout the sport that there is the rd13 cooling off period.

Secondly, Until round 13 when the contract is registered with the NRL it is little more than an expression of interest, there is nothing the courts could do about that.
In other countries, every time a code agreement of this type (imposing restrictions on contracts, etc) has been challenged in court, the code lost. The UEFA and FIFA have had some pretty big nosebleeds for example.

My understanding is that the NRL homologates the originally signed contract at the end of round 13, which makes it a valid lawful contract, not a mere expression of interest. As such, it is subject to the relevant state/federal law.

I don't know the intricacies and what clauses are inserted in these contracts, but I can imagine they've done their best to protect the NRL, but I'm curious how it would play out in court, especially if instead of a player back-flipping, a club decided he no longer wanted the player.

There was a case a while ago between Dayne Weston and the Storm if memory serves me right, but I don't think this whole round 13 thing was involved.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think DCE will backflip. The Titans bungled this up because they didn't want to re-sign their Skipper in Myles. Myles was the guy who helped convince DCE to sign with the club. Pretty dumb if you ask me. DCE has shown a fair bit about his character in this though.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Oh he'll be doing a backflip alright. I said at the start of this, I'll believe it when I see it. The loss of Myles was the last nail imo. I'm wondering what will happen with Foran.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'm starting to get a small feeling that DCE will backflip as well, I think when he signed he wanted Sezer as his halves partner, and Myles as his starting prop. Both of them are gone now, with Nate coming to Manly.. All signs are pointing towards Manly.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think he'll backflip....... I think he'll pull a 180 :tongue:

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I believe he will go to the Titans. I think he is an honourable man and has had a gut full of the media circus around his signing. Nothing he has said indicates to me a change of heart. I think he wants to be part of a Titans future and he knows that even should the Titans fail his footballing ability will sustain him.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.