NEWS Dearden is hot to trot

If this ungrateful shit wants to leave, let him. Over these salary cap winning hype driven players using us to gain maximum exposure despite achieving nothing with us...

Also, I hope donaghy comes out and blows up if we lose dearden. Comes out and says "The Broncos will no longer be investing $×××××××× into development of young players (sorry 1910), we will be using that money to send our recruitment team out to scope what other teams are developing to pick and choose what works for us until their is cap compensation for player development".....

While I miss the days of loyalty, it's not like the club has set a great example with regards to this over the years.

Also, if it's okay for the club to wait and see how a player goes before offering a contract, what's wrong with a player waiting to see how a club goes before they sign?

With regards to players scouting out other clubs, I'm sure that the Broncos are still out there scouting for players in positions already filled.

It's also possible that players and managers are concerned about the state of the club and are yet to believe that a new coach and CEO will fix things.

If we negotiated the way half of you guys wanted us to we’d have 6 players left.

Exactly. People don't want Croft or Copley to play, but want to throw out ultimatums that see better players in Q Cup...

Last edited:
While I miss the days of loyalty, it's not like the club has set a great example with regards to this over the years.

Also, if it's okay for the club to wait and see how a player goes before offering a contract, what's wrong with a player waiting to see how a club goes before they sign?

With regards to players scouting out other clubs, I'm sure that the Broncos are still out there scouting for players in positions already filled.

It's also possible that players and managers are concerned about the state of the club and are yet to believe that a new coach and CEO will fix things.

It is totally understandable for sure. Given the shambles the club has been the last two seasons, I’d be doing exactly the same thing as a player but as a club, I’d be sick of it.

Yes, it is almost entirely the club’s fault for letting these kids become off contract before re-signing them but this is a management critical error, not a coaching one (more specifically not a Kevvie one). I feel for the guy, he’s lost Fifita before he arrives and since arriving has had all of Dearden, Coates and Staggs (three of the very few bright sparks from last year) talk about wanting out.

This is where getting a highly competent CEO in will make a massive difference. He will formulate a plan and play out contract negotiations before they become a problem in the future ala now.

But even so, the club has to try and right one of its many wrongs and start putting deadlines on these kids who have achieved nothing but want the elite contracts.

If this ungrateful shit wants to leave, let him. Over these salary cap winning hype driven players using us to gain maximum exposure despite achieving nothing with us...

Also, I hope donaghy comes out and blows up if we lose dearden. Comes out and says "The Broncos will no longer be investing $×××××××× into development of young players (sorry 1910), we will be using that money to send our recruitment team out to scope what other teams are developing to pick and choose what works for us until their is cap compensation for player development".....
This so much. I am sick of this bullshit. The Raiders woke up a few years ago that the NRL will do nothing to reward development because it would hurt their favourite clubs so they stopped and have been great ever since.

I think he will leave. Previously in the Cowboys system and was a huge Thurston fan growing up, so he will jump at the chance to be mentored by JT.

Exactly. People don't want Croft or Copley to play, but want to throw out ultimatums that see better players in Q Cup...
That’s not really true, some of us are just really fucking sick of this.

Cowboys are bordering on being in a worse position than us.

Morgan $1m
Val $800k
McGuire $700k
Marsters $500k
Lolo $1m

Lolo is the only one worth the price tag and maybe McGuire.

Payten is a rookie coach and to me he is starting to show similar characteristics to Seibold.

- Clifford: best halfback coming through, you can go here's a release to knights... no wait we're pulling that release. We probably wont use you this year, if Morgan and Drinkwater fire, but we dont really give a shit about you anymore so you can stay in reggies for a year
- Lolo: Payten has stated he will be playing 50mins or so a game this year, because reasons. Best player on the team and getting $1m pa, if they start struggling he'll be playing more than that
- Morgan: captain and halfback on $1m pa... apparently looking to scoop up a 20yr halfback to replace him
- Asi: promising junior who's path is blocked if Dearden comes in
- Drinkwater: is he taking Val or Morgan's spot if Dearden comes in?
- Val: Are they really going to pay $800k for a winger if they go Drinkwater at fullback?
- Hammer: is he taking the fullback spot, seemingly pushing Val and Drinkwater out
- McGuire: apparently on the outer and they're happy for him to go
- McLean: think he's in the last year of his contract and hasn't really lived up to the hype. I think Payten will look to let him go, but will be interesting to see how he handles it

Payten is coming in and blowing up the joint, and has the charisma of Hook on valium. He's also doing it all in the media. Time will tell and he's fucking lucky NSWRL doesn't give a shit about Nth Qld because he would be copping some serious looks if Sydney gave a shit

Last edited:

Morgan $1m
Val $800k
McGuire $700k
Marsters $500k
Lolo $1m

Payten is a rookie coach and to me he is starting to show similar characteristics to Seibold.

- Clifford: best halfback coming through you can go
- Lolo: Payten has stated he will be playing 50mins or so a game this year, because reasons. Best player on the team and getting $1m pa, if they start struggling he'll be playing more than that
- Morgan: captain and halfback on $1m pa... apparently looking to scoop up a 20yr halfback to replace him
- Val: Are they really going to pay $800k for a winger if they go Drinkwater at fullback?
- Hammer: is he taking the fullback spot, seemingly pushing Val and Drinkwater out
- McLean: think he's in the last year of his contract and hasn't really lived up to the hype. I think Payten will look to let him go, but will be interesting to see how he handles it

Payten is coming in and blowing up the joint, and has the charisma of Hook on valium. He's also doing it all in the media. Time will tell and he's fucking lucky NSWRL doesn't give a shit about Nth Qld because he would be copping some serious looks if Shitney gave a shit
I hope the Cows struggle and after a game where the Storm destroy them Bellamy calls in Cameron Smith to go in and give them a pep talk so Todd can pout in the corner again.

That’s not really true, some of us are just really fucking sick of this.

Granted it's not everyone, but it's a fairly common refrain in situations like this. It's happening here, it happened with Staggs and Coates, it happened with Fifita. Offer them X dollars, give them until next Wednesday, and if they don't sign sit them for the year! It's not a flash way to run a club or to instil any sense of faith or loyalty in the rest of the playing group.

It might be a terrible system, but it's the system the club needs to operate in. It's no use cracking a sad when one of these players exercises their right to seek other offers. The club needs to let them, consider what the player is asking, and make an informed decision about what we can offer. It'd be a bad look if we offered Dearden three-fifty, take it or leave it, and the Cowboys could only offer four, and we looked at our cap and realised we could have easily covered that...

I have seen very little from Dearden to show he is the ‘next bjg thing’ as a halfback.

Maybe he is and if he leaves and dominates, I’ll regret it. But I haven’t seen anything from him yet, to make me get upset if he goes...
Exactly

Morgan $1m
Val $800k
McGuire $700k
Marsters $500k
Lolo $1m

- Clifford: best halfback coming through, you can go here's a release to knights... no wait we're pulling that release. We probably wont use you this year, if Morgan and Drinkwater fire, but we dont really give a shit about you anymore so you can stay in reggies for a year

Payten is coming in and blowing up the joint, and has the charisma of Hook on valium. He's also doing it all in the media. Time will tell and he's fucking lucky NSWRL doesn't give a shit about Nth Qld because he would be copping some serious looks if Sydney gave a shit

Fairly sure Payten came out and said he wants Morgan at 6

I think he will leave. Previously in the Cowboys system and was a huge Thurston fan growing up, so he will jump at the chance to be mentored by JT.

View attachment 11388
He’s clearly miserable in that pic, like he’s being held hostage. He’s with Alfie now. You know, the guy he gets compared to.

The more compelling rumour is yes, he might be paired with Drinkwater next year. But at the Broncos.

Last edited:
Everyone relax.
This is his manager knowing that to get Tom top dollar, he will explore rivals facilities.
They aren’t silly, they know the club will have a large sum of money for players in 2022 hence they’re trying to drive up his price.
Id be shocked if Tom was to leave. In saying that, if he gets 600k+ elsewhere I couldn’t blame him.

Everyone relax.
This is his manager knowing that to get Tom top dollar, he will explore rivals facilities.
They aren’t silly, they know the club will have a large sum of money for players in 2022 hence they’re trying to drive up his price.
Id be shocked if Tom was to leave. In saying that, if he gets 600k+ elsewhere I couldn’t blame him.
I think it’s the trying to drive his price up is what is irking people

You don't enquire about another job while you're employed? I do.
Why would you place in position of separation by resigning before seeking gainful employment?
It doesn't mean you don't seek to further yourself with your current employer but if google offers to give me a personal tour of their facilities Id would very likely take them up on it.
It not like he marches off with them in the middle of training.
I want dearden to stay but what I really, really want is for him to want to stay. If we can't convince him that this club represents his best future, it us we need to take a critical eye at, not him. That is unless they start talking fiffita money and then he head up north, and we'll use our extra cash to build a more balanced team than either the titans or cowboys in 2022.
No, obviously I would enquire about other jobs, but doing it publicly and having your manager announce it is pretty shit form.

No, obviously I would enquire about other jobs, but doing it publicly and having your manager announce it is pretty shit form.
It's pretty standard play for an agent to talk up competing interest in their client. That's their job, whether it's a human being, a house or a horse - or a combination of all three if such a thing exists on planet earth.

Last edited:
Granted it's not everyone, but it's a fairly common refrain in situations like this. It's happening here, it happened with Staggs and Coates, it happened with Fifita. Offer them X dollars, give them until next Wednesday, and if they don't sign sit them for the year! It's not a flash way to run a club or to instil any sense of faith or loyalty in the rest of the playing group.

It might be a terrible system, but it's the system the club needs to operate in. It's no use cracking a sad when one of these players exercises their right to seek other offers. The club needs to let them, consider what the player is asking, and make an informed decision about what we can offer. It'd be a bad look if we offered Dearden three-fifty, take it or leave it, and the Cowboys could only offer four, and we looked at our cap and realised we could have easily covered that...
Yeah a take your point there, I'm just over the way the NRL treat us.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.