Denan Kemp - what a loss

Agree wholeheartedly. It's frustrating, since Denan joined the Clydesdales 3 or so years ago I've been amazed by some of the things he can do with the football. I hoped he could translate that to first grade, and to be honest, all I needed was his debut try last year to convince me he was the real deal.

I honestly think losing him hurts more than any of the other guys going. I'll follow his career with the Warriors with great interest.

It's ludicrous that Broncos management could not spot Kemp's talent early on in his league career and identify him as a must keep. He's as good or maybe even better as a fullback than he is as a winger. Some of the things he was doing in attack early on in his career with Wests Colts were just out of the ordinary. He was a standout then and always just needed the opportunity on the big stage.

I agree totally he is just a natural instinctive athlete who would excel at any sport.

I really hope to see Kemp back in Broncos colours some day. really do.

The Rock said:
Broncos got too excited about Folau. Simple as that.

Give me Ennis, Hannant, Boyd, Eastwood and Kemp together over Folau any day of the week.

Mmmm I agree, our prospects for 09 if we were able to keep our team together bar Carroll. We'd be close to going in favourites for premiership.

But I think we would have lost a few of them regardless of the purchase of Folau. Baby Boyd woulda gone with Papa Smurf to Dragons regardless I would think.

Argus said:
It's ludicrous that Broncos management could not spot Kemp's talent early on in his league career and identify him as a must keep. He's as good or maybe even better as a fullback than he is as a winger. Some of the things he was doing in attack early on in his career with Wests Colts were just out of the ordinary. He was a standout then and always just needed the opportunity on the big stage.

I agree totally he is just a natural instinctive athlete who would excel at any sport.
I reckon it's more along the lines of the Broncos didn't realise any other team would've spotted his talent so soon, rather them then not knowing what he was. They never counted on him being offered a quarter of a mill after 7 games of NRL, and tbh you can't really blame them for that mindset.

Now that the season is officially over, the more I am getting upset with the Broncos letting him go. Its sunk in now and I'm spewing.

IMO we really need him on the wing next year - I think he would be more valuable than he has been this year. The Warriors are gonna love having him.

And he's hot. Quite a sexy young man. I love his big nose lol.

bronco_babe77 said:
And he's hot. Quite a sexy young man. I love his big nose lol.
The 15yo kid next door is the spitting image of Kemp without the big nose! I always say to him how he looks like kemp and he gets upset cos of the nose issue. [icon_lol1. he is a good little league player too, he even runs like him! Of course I don't think Kemp is sexy cos he looks too much like the kid and ah that's just wrong! [eusa_naugh

Like I said in the game thread - letting him go as well as Hannant and Ennis in one year is criminal. Hannant has been our best forward FFS. With him and Carroll gone what is our pack gonna look like next year? We can only hope another Webcke/Petero pops up in the juniors or we'll be dominated - ESPECIALLY since we'll now have no direction with Ennis gone. As the rest of you have said Kemp was too talented not to try to keep.

I personally think it was a miracle enough players improved enough this year to cover the loss of 4 or 5 players who retired or went elsewhere last season. Now we need it to happen 2 years in a row.

We probably woudn't have been having this discussion if there was any justice in the administration of the NRL. Bloody hell Gallop sh!ts me with his talk of how even the competition is and his Salary C(r)ap reeks of injustice. Stuff all that "the competition is so close and even" crap! What incentive is there then for developing a champion team??? What hope is there in supporting a team that does all the hard work to spot and develop talent for them all to be taken away? The only kind of cap I'd support is an import cap. If the player is developed by the club, let the club have no restrictions on keeping him. Then we'd only be restricted in how many expensive overrated Izzys we could buy, not in how long we could have kept Civo, Tate, Kemp, Hannant etc. It might make some of these Sydney clubs actually pull their fingers out to develop some players - players who are passionate about "their" club and want to play for the team all their playing lives. Loyalty no longer exists in the NRL - sad.

Hmm, long bow to say Hannant was our best forward. Ennis and Thaiday shat all over him for most of the year. Kenny too.

In fact, other than the first 5-6 weeks, Hannant has been pretty sod ordinary. Dogs can have him.

Coxy said:
Hmm, long bow to say Hannant was our best forward. Ennis and Thaiday shat all over him for most of the year. Kenny too.

In fact, other than the first 5-6 weeks, Hannant has been pretty sod ordinary. Dogs can have him.

And Thaiday shat all over the Broncos' image. Someone else can have him and Hunt for all I care. And Darius, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Don't mix on field performance with off field issues. I agree Sam did the club no favours with his behaviour, but doesn't change the fact he performed better all year than Hannant (as nice a guy as the teetotalling mormon is).

He wasn't offered anywhere near 250k at the warriors. As i said, if you found out what he went for you would be storming red hill.

Huge huge loss for us.

Our finishing out wide will suffer immensly next year I believe, even though we will have Falou on the books.

There is no substitute in the game for speed and agility, which is something our backline will lack next year I feel.

I mean his record this year speaks for itself. How many tries did he end up with? about 20?

Jeza23 said:
Huge huge loss for us.

Our finishing out wide will suffer immensly next year I believe, even though we will have Falou on the books.

There is no substitute in the game for speed and agility, which is something our backline will lack next year I feel.

I mean his record this year speaks for itself. How many tries did he end up with? about 20?

Meh... The wingers in U20's are fine finishers. Yow Yeh is bigger, and better under the high ball. We will have the size and strength to compensate the apparent lack of speed. Hodges and Michaels have enough speed to get us through anyway IMO, and it's not as if we will have 5 Danny Nutleys' in the backs.

That being said, you're right. His record speaks for itself. He was leading try scorer for a reason.

I agree with Clintos, he's a big loss, but it's not one we can't afford.

Ennis/Hannant are much bigger.

jjoyce said:
He wasn't offered anywhere near 250k at the warriors. As i said, if you found out what he went for you would be storming red hill.

Give us a ball park figure eusa_think

I am guessing if its not 250k it would probably be about half that or maybe a bit less or a fraction more.

Us not offering him a position didnt give him much choice so it probably wouldnt have mattered what the warriors paid for him it was going to be a good deal

Active Now

• Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • The True King
  • Aldo
  • pagey
  • Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Tim K
  • Mr Fourex
  • bb_gun
  • Stix
  • RolledOates
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Strop
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.