VOTE Do you regret Bennett's (second) departure?

Do you regret Bennett leaving (again)?

• Yes

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 66 72.5%

• Total voters
nah see you’re still getting it wrong.. The ultimate question is do you regret Bennett’s departure... not “in hindsight do you regret Bennett’s departure and everything that’s happened since”

Maybe you should start a new poll with the specific question you want asked 👍👍
Yes, it's a pretty crappy question. A better question is needed.

Bennett left Broncos with some bad contracts: Bird, Boyd, Macca.
But what I like about Bennett was when he first came back, he kicked off a few under achievers (Barba, can't remember who else right now) like he was swatting flies, and added a few crucial additions: Blair, Sims, plus a couple more. He had a premiership winnable side on the first year of his return. Amazing! No regrets recruiting Bennett and no regret in him leaving. He created a small window of opportunity for the Broncos but that window closed real fast.

Seibold did inherit some bad contracts but doesn't have the kahunas to kick off the under achievers.

Last edited:
It was always the wrong decision. The club was in a good state but like all clubs it could have been better. In fact the club was in such good shape that literally dozens of posters on here were brimming with optimism or are we all suddenly going to rewrite history?

I can find multiple posts stating that Seibold was inheriting a brilliant and youngish roster. I do think the Broncos had suffered a gradual decline in the defence area over the last two years of WBs tenure but our offense was still solid. The question is quite simple really. The Broncos wanted a new coach to achieve higher honours. They most certainly didn't change because they wanted poorer results.

So, was that the right decision?? NO , quite obviously. I don't give a **** about secondary intentions. They changed to improve results and that has not been the case. In fact it has been a catastrophic failure. There is no way to put another spin on it.

The Broncos should have honoured his 2019 contract and then moved on. There's no point squealing about deadwood yada yada. It was the wrong decision at that time but sure, it would probably have been the right decision 12 months later.

Surprised to say I think I agree with this entire post.

Yeah we were clearly going backwards under WB in 17/18, but he still earned the right to see out his contract without shit getting into the media about us chasing Bellamy and then Seibold.

In hindsight the correct decision would've been respecting Wayne's contract and beginning the coaching search for 2020 onward mid-way through 2019.

Yes, it's a pretty crappy question. A better question is needed.
I mean ultimately the question is flawed because no one on this forum was involved in the decision making process so really what can we regret...

Even though I wasn’t involved in the decision making process I have no ragrets!!

Surprised to say I think I agree with this entire post.

Yeah we were clearly going backwards under WB in 17/18, but he still earned the right to see out his contract without shit getting into the media about us chasing Bellamy and then Seibold.

In hindsight the correct decision would've been respecting Wayne's contract and beginning the coaching search for 2020 onward mid-way through 2019.
Spot on. I think I liked the option he presented to the board. The one where he was here in 2020. Who better to shepherd a young team through this tumultuous season than a wise old shepherd???

You'd have to say 'IF it's true' wouldn't you? It's a massive assumption on scant evidence and calling it fact!!! What if it's not even an issue and it's just that the players think Seibold is full of shit? I haven't heard any really glowing endorsement of Seibold lately, yes ,some at the beginning but not recently. I could have missed it if it did in fact happen.

Player's thinking "Seibold is full of shit" as an excuse for playing like shit is the real issue here. That is inexcusable for professional well paid footballers who knows the price to be paid, and is being paid, for their self indulgence. That price is paid by the fans and the club.

Men (as professional footballers) face their problems as men - with integrity and dignity and honour and don't throw childish tantrums whatever their motivations, and by doing so, disregard the consequences of their actions on people who really care about the club they represent.

If the players have issues with the coach, then they man up, face the coach and lay their cards on the table rather than playing them under the table.
[automerge]1595063872[/automerge]
I mean ultimately the question is flawed because no one on this forum was involved in the decision making process so really what can we regret...

Even though I wasn’t involved in the decision making process I have no ragrets!!

But you along with all of us, are paying the price for those decisions and how they were made

Last edited:
Player's thinking "Seibold is full of shit" as an excuse for playing like shit is the real issue here. That is inexcusable for professional well paid footballers who knows the price to be paid, and is being paid, for their self indulgence. That price is paid by the fans and the club.

Men (as professional footballers) face their problems as men - with integrity and dignity and honour and don't throw childish tantrums whatever their motivations, and by doing so, disregard the consequences of their actions on people who really care about the club they represent.

If the players have issues with the coach, then they man up, face the coach and lay their cards on the table rather than playing them under the table.
[automerge]1595063872[/automerge]

But you along with all of us, are paying the price for those decisions and how they were made
Yes, I agree but I'm pretty sure no one reason is at the heart of the problem overall. It's likely to be a combination of factors. A coach not connecting, a coach out of his depth, a too great a concentration of youth in the one team, a serious injury list, an entrenched resentment of the Broncos by the refs believing the PenaltyBroncos thing, media and public scrutiny of very young men who are on tenterhooks, possible lingering resentment of the treatment of a fatherlike figure for many, an inept board and really, I can think of several more possibilities that could be contributing to the present malaise afflicting the Broncos.

No easy fix indeed!!

I voted no because I hold him partly responsible for the clusterfuck roster. Plus he is 70 years old. Also his press conferences are always smug and he does not endear himself to the press.
As for Seibold being the right choice I am still undecided. If he had the players to buy in to what he is about then the results may be different. Reckon we stick with him till seasons end and then reassess. Not sure Walters is the answer either. In hindsight maybe they should have gone with JD whose coaching record is better than Seibolds albeit without being a head coach.

Seibold vs Bennett - would you rather have a prostate check with the left hand or the right hand.

Seibold vs Bennett - would you rather have a prostate check with the left hand or the right hand.
Would you rather a prostrate exam with 7 rings or none?

Actually don’t answer that

Yep, and the only reason he was white-anted was because people like Morris wanted to justify his position by making a power play. They can say what they want but it would appear they were jealous and felt threatened that their subordinate (Bennett) held such influence. I had little issue with Bennett holding such sway with the playing group.

At the very least he should have been able to coach his final year, and i would have been happy with him coaching 2020 before moving to a coaching director's role.

He knew the importance of the balance of having enough senior, battle-hardened players to balance out youth. He did it with players like Jeremy Smith at the Dragons and Knights and did the same with Blair with us. Those calling for the older players to be shuffled on and replaced with Shiny Young Talent are now seeing exactly what happens with a team with great talent but little experience or fortitude.

Of the candidates, Seibold was my pick, slightly ahead of Maguire, which just shows how I too was suckered by media reports and hype, but then I wasn't being paid bulk money by a wealthy organisation to do due diligence.

Last edited:
He left St George with a premiership trophy on the mantlepiece and premiership rings on their fingers. Ask any St George supporter and none of them are saying he left them in a bad state, it's only the arseholes on here and in the media who are rewriting history to push the line that WB leaves clubs worse off. It's crap and not supported by at least one of those clubs who incidentally wanted him back.

He didn't have a problem getting a high profile gig and had multiple clubs from which to choose. As you pointed out Newcastle's woes were down to Tinklers interference, the empty club coffers, the deeply embedded drug culture and a poor roster upon his own arrival. It was a club wanting a quick fix and was never prepared to rebuild with quality.
I think there was some negative sentiment from dragons fans that he pushed Steve price’s barrow to become the head coach when he left knowing full well that he was out of his depth and would subsequently fail for the sake of his own ego.

If Bennett wanted to see out his contract then he shouldn't have acted like a child when he was told he wasn't being given the contract extension he wanted.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mustafur
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.