VOTE Do you regret Bennett's (second) departure?

Do you regret Bennett leaving (again)?

• Yes

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 66 72.5%

• Total voters
Broncos were a rock in a hard place. They didn't handle Bennett leaving the first time by going with Henjack and with Wayne's age they knew they had to do something. The team had regressed since the 2015 miracle run and they wanted the 'new' Wayne. Siebold was young and had Souths improve from outside the 8 to premiership contenders all in the space of 12 months.

I still think Siebold is the right coach with the right playing roster, however he is too inexperienced to be able to handle mass injuries and experienced players out of form. It has all snowballed on him. Combined with the fact he has almost a whole starting side injured and the players who aren't in the side don't have any 2nd grade football to push their case it is just a clusterf**k!

Like in the game Friday night, when things aren't going your way the ball doesn't bounce for you and and everything snowballs from there.

Time for Kevvie to get the gig, so as Tallis says, "is given the chance to fail." At least then, we can either have a successful Walters as coach or we can put that behind us.

Was the club off Demetriou I wonder? It will prove to be the ultimate sliding doors moment if WB's succession plan flies at Souths and JD has a stellar start to his coaching career. It will be another massive misjudgment that we can chalk up to our administration.

Honestly dont know mate.

How did he act like a child? He put forward a succession plan,the board didn't want him or his plan so he started looking elsewhere. I'd admit towards the very end Wayne was a bit petulant, but i dont know what people expected he would do, go quietly? I think the board were pretty disrespecful to the bloke.

The board brought him back to win a premiership, apart from 2015 the side were nowhere near that. The board did what they were paid to do. They went looking for a new coach, he didn't need to be involved in that. That's not his role at the club.

He could have accepted that and just got on with the job. Use it as ammo for the season ahead as a **** you to the board or request a release and sign with another club.

He went in a different direction and acted petulant during the whole thing and played games to try and make them look like the bad guy in all of this.

The board brought him back to win a premiership, apart from 2015 the side were nowhere near that. The board did what they were paid to do. They went looking for a new coach, he didn't need to be involved in that. That's not his role at the club.

He could have accepted that and just got on with the job. Use it as ammo for the season ahead as a **** you to the board or request a release and sign with another club.

He went in a different direction and acted petulant during the whole thing and played games to try and make them look like the bad guy in all of this.

Yep, because the board didn't play any games at all did they 🤔 You are talking like they are pure as the driven snow. They instigated the whole thing. They were the bad guys regardless of Bennett's behaviour after the fact. If they did nothing wrong, they wouldn't have pissed off pretty much the entire playing group. You cant expect to treat a highly respected coach the way they did. They handled it poorly, and this is the result. This current mess is a large part down to how they handled things.

He did accept he was leaving anyway. He said he would be happy for them to chase Bellamy, and iirc he said he would stay and help out the new coach as well if they wanted him to. He tried to have a succession plan ( which people would have had a go at him for if he didnt ) but it all seems to be getting overlooked. Nobody can deny Bennetts behaviour towards the end was petulant, but he deserved better treatment than what he got.

He had a contract for 2019 and it was the club that acted dishonourably. WB had earned the right to see out that contract and there was no valid reason to end it prematurely. We were making finals and that's a pass mark for any coach.

He should not have kept playing Boyd when he was injured, or made him captain. Parker should have been persuaded to have that extra year instead. Those are the only gripes I have against Bennett.

YES (because of 6 premierships, would have been 7 if Hunt/Milford had stopped kicking for touch with 25mns to go)

Last edited:
Always thought Parker wanted to go around again but got a tap on the shoulder

He had a contract for 2019 and it was the club that acted dishonourably. WB had earned the right to see out that contract and there was no valid reason to end it prematurely. We were making finals and that's a pass mark for any coach.

He did have a contract for 2019 and had every right to see out his contract, but the board did not end it prematurely without valid reason.

He forced their hand. He made sure of that. He wanted the board to come out looking like the bad guys.

He had to go, we just needed more changes. White has been awful for the club. As much as I question seibolds coaching ability, it's probably ruined his career coming when he did.

We have been in a terrible position due to some very poor signings. It will take us a couple more years for that to go away as well.

This is on the back of white, bennet and Nolan and they all need to go.

I was glad to see the back of him at the time, got a little tired of his huffy attitude at pressers and the games he played (hiding from the media, unplanned press conferences) were pure power plays and ego driven at the expense of the best interests of the club.

With the benefit of time it's clear to see that he was treated very poorly and that can explain his actions to an extent.

He's obviously still a great communicator and nice guy, perhaps ideally suited to.. I don't know.. say a leadership role at a club overseeing a football department? From a coaching point of view it looks like he's not top notch anymore and probably shouldn't be allowed to make player decisions unchecked (Roberts from the Broncos as case in point), the Bennett brand is still valuable just seems like he's probably not in the very top tier of coaching talent anymore.

If we are under the impression that Bennett was only staying until the end of 2019 to be replaced by Demetriou, without the bullshit that occurred after white anting Bennett then yes we should absolutely all agree that the decision was regrettable. Even if we were regressing slowly under Bennett, another year wouldn’t have made as much damage as the last 18 months has.

We will regret not sticking with Bennett because Jason Demitriou will be a top tier NRL head coach. This will be another Bellamy moment.

We will regret not sticking with Bennett because Jason Demitriou will be a top tier NRL head coach. This will be another Bellamy moment.
Bellamy is the exception to the rule

No!
When I learned he didn't pick up his own dogshit that was it for me.

If we are under the impression that Bennett was only staying until the end of 2019 to be replaced by Demetriou, without the bullshit that occurred after white anting Bennett then yes we should absolutely all agree that the decision was regrettable. Even if we were regressing slowly under Bennett, another year wouldn’t have made as much damage as the last 18 months has.

Yep, it is extremely hard to argue any of this in hindsight, that's for sure.

the people taking over from bennett havent really got the best record though that is my only concern price, henjack and rick stone.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.