eel's want to breech salary cap!?

Re: Eels want to breech salary cap.

ISRAEL Folau is set to announce he is leaving Australia to play rugby union overseas.

The decision is an embarrassing blow for the NRL after the former Test star quit the AFL and Greater Western Sydney, in the hope of returning to rugby league.

Folau’s ambition was to join the Parramatta Eels, but Titan management have convinced the former Test star to head overseas after the NRL refused to register a contract with the Eels for next season.

The NRL are expected to release a press statement confirming the decision this afternoon.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ing-israel-folau/story-fndujljl-1226527649729

Dumb move Izzy...Quit AFL because you discover AFL does not bring you fulfillment no matter how much $$$ are thrown at you and then go play Rugby (also this could be shoddy journalism/news.com.au at its best - i.e. why would the NRL and not Izzy have a press conference)

I just wonder whether his minders (family and agents) have his best interest at heart or only $$$.

Fairfax Media understands that the NRL and Parramatta Eels had come to an agreement to fit Folau under the salary cap, but the player has opted to take a higher offer.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rugby-union-20121130-2alzz.html#ixzz2DgVaaVUL

The NRL shown up again for being total suckers. Ok, we'll bend the rules for you Izzy (despite it being inherently wrong). Izzy: nah, just kidding, I'm off to Europe but thanks for letting me know what you'll do to get me back in the game.

Fairfax Media understands that the NRL and Parramatta Eels had come to an agreement to fit Folau under the salary cap, but the player has opted to take a higher offer.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rugby-union-20121130-2alzz.html#ixzz2DgVaaVUL

The NRL shown up again for being total suckers. Ok, we'll bend the rules for you Izzy (despite it being inherently wrong). Izzy: nah, just kidding, I'm off to Europe but thanks for letting me know what you'll do to get me back in the game.

Haha and I was called precious for calling him a traitor... Funny shiz

I didn't have that much respect for him before, I got none now.

League doesn't need him.

IMO: Folau was never coming back to League, he just wanted to increase his worth in Union.

Parramatta knew well in advance that Folau was going to quit AFL & it looks like Folau used them to get the money from Union.

Izzy a money grabbing wanker? Fucking oath. Hope he never pulls on a league Jersey again.

Haha and I was called precious for calling him a traitor... Funny shiz

Yes you were called precious and I thought it was adequately explained why.

Do you need it explained to you again?

So apparently Folau is about to sign with the NSW Warratahs? Is this guy for real?

Folau has always been a mercenary so it won't surprise me. Tahs are a flakey organisation these days so not really the best option if he goes over long term but if he's there for a year or so it wouldn't be the worst way to transition back to League. He'd at least be able to use it as a way to earn money while he bulks back up.

NRL and eels and any other club could not fit him in there salary cap . eels offered a 3 million $ , 4 year contract , NRL refused it . NRL marked izzy as a $400,000 player . not izzy's fault is it ? theyare talking about nsw waratah's and walabies now lol

Izzy doesn't really bother me. I'm not sure anyone would act too differently if they were changing jobs themselves.

Correct me if wrong, but I don't recall Izzy keeping the public updated on his progress, some idiots have been leaking dribs and drabs the entire time and really set him up to take the fall.

AFL and aus union LOL at the NRL now . izzy should be tucked away training for an NRL club right now . NRL should be ashamed of themselves

NRL and eels and any other club could not fit him in there salary cap . eels offered a 3 million $ , 4 year contract , NRL refused it . NRL marked izzy as a $400,000 player . not izzy's fault is it ? theyare talking about nsw waratah's and walabies now lol

I don't blame the ARLC from refusing to allow the Eels to sign Folau for 110k (what they first tried to register him for). The ARLC can not bend the rules for 1 player of 1 club. If they do there is no point having a cap. If Folau and his manager didn't realize that clubs would struggle to fit him under the can at this late stage they are fools.

The NRL has done this before with Gasnier. When he came back from european rugby union, the Dragons tried to register him for a small amount and were refused.

If the Eels had initially offered Folau the $3 million, 4 year contract then it most likely would have been accepted. If the Eels were allowed to sign Folau for 110k next year and won the premiership, then at this time next year we would be listening to people complaining about the ARLC allowing the Eels to sign Folau for the small contract.

Last edited:

I don't blame the ARLC from refusing to allow the Eels to sign Folau for 110k (what they first tried to register him for). The ARLC can not bend the rules for 1 player of 1 club. If they do there is no point having a cap. If Folau and his manager didn't realize that clubs would struggle to fit him under the can at this late stage they are fools.

The NRL has done this before with Gasnier. When he came back from european rugby union, the Dragons tried to register him for a small amount and were refused.

If the Eels had initially offered Folau the $3 million, 4 year contract then it most likely would have been accepted. If the Eels were allowed to sign Folau for 110k next year and won the premiership, then at this time next year we would be listening to people complaining about the ARLC allowing the Eels to sign Folau for the small contract.

1000%

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.