FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
No hindsight at all. It wasnt overpaying. We had him on loan. He did well and if he did well we had agreed a fee with them for 30 million, which isnt a great deal of money for a top quality striker like Raul ( before he got taken out by that thug from Arsenal ). The only way that would have been a poor deal is if it was an obligation to buy regardless of how he performed. We got 45 million for Jota plus some addons for a player who was very erratic in his final season for us. A minimum of 15 million more than we paid for Raul is good money. He's done decent for Liverpool but i'd say in terms of how he was playing at Wolves that 45 million plus addons is more overpaying.

In regards to these release clauses, they all have stupid ones in Portugal that they never get. As i mentioned with Dias, his was 100 million and Citeh got him for about 38 million less than that. I wouldnt say that kind of money is close to it, although you really do have to take those release clauses with a pinch of salt, they are just to raise their asking price.
How can you say its not hindsight but go on to say he was a top quality striker?
You signed him after a loan spell in which he scored 13 goals in the prem (same as Glenn Murray).. I am not sure how one alright season can equal being top quality. He went on to prove his worth the next season but again that's after the money was thrown at him.

In any case, I don't have too much interest in the conversation further anyway given you go on to state incorrect figures for the Jota fee. I'm not sure if you're talking pounds or euros but in either case its wrong haha.

As far as the whole release clause thing goes, as with alot of other things in Portuguese football, it's a tradition that has been borrowed from La Liga where they are mandatory as part of every contract. I'd argue they put them so high because they've learnt the lesson from Neymar where if you make it attainable other bigger clubs will come in and steal players.

Ultimately they are there to protect the club. I have no issue with them doing it either, as always buyers should beware.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
A trial is a trial but let’s hope for Wolves sake they trialed a lot this morning 0-0 against Luton is a grim showing.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
A trial is a trial but let’s hope for Wolves sake they trialed a lot this morning 0-0 against Luton is a grim showing.
Gives me Southampton vibes from last season.

Could be in serious strife if they get rid of Lopetegui.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
Agreed but it will be Lopetegui getting rid of Wolves not the other way around
Yeah that's likely if its a tough slog early.

Would be a shame cause the squad has some handy players it just desperately needs some investment.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
80m for Ramos to PSG.

Was never going to go cheap.

Dembele going too. Great player but simply cannot stop getting injured.

Screenshot 20230803 195647 X

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Yeah that's likely if its a tough slog early.

Would be a shame cause the squad has some handy players it just desperately needs some investment.
Yeah the roots are there it just lacks in some pretty important areas which have been invested poorly in over the last few transfer windows and the repercussions of that are now hitting.

What’s even stranger is there are a lot of championship level players getting sold off for cash so it could be a steep decline if they get relegated cause it doesn’t seem there is an over abundance of cash to even sign champ players at the minute.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
80m for Ramos to PSG.

Was never going to go cheap.

Dembele going too. Great player but simply cannot stop getting injured.

View attachment 23310
I know they are going for Hojlund but this guy was the perfect striker for United. Always thought he would end up there tbh. Would rather 80 on him than the 70ish on Hojlund.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
I know they are going for Hojlund but this guy was the perfect striker for United. Always thought he would end up there tbh. Would rather 80 on him than the 70ish on Hojlund.
I've definitely seen more of Goncalo than Hojlund and would have preferred Ramos also, but I'm just happy we have got a striker to build around. Costly, of course, but the last few years with injury prone Martial and loan deals for 30+ year olds, this was needed.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
I've definitely seen more of Goncalo than Hojlund and would have preferred Ramos also, but I'm just happy we have got a striker to build around. Costly, of course, but the last few years with injury prone Martial and loan deals for 30+ year olds, this was needed.
I'll maintain Cavani was never used properly. Agree the rest were crap.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I think part of the reason Hojlund was preferred was the amount we would spend on wages for him.

Not as much as the others. United are trying to bring the wage bill down after some of the ridiculous amounts we've given out over the years.

They don't want to go over 200k and I think Hojlund was around 160k.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
I'll maintain Cavani was never used properly. Agree the rest were crap.
Agree completely. Cavani still managed to get us some clutch points in his stint.

To think blokes like Falcao didn't even get 5 goals. Ridiculous really.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
I think part of the reason Hojlund was preferred was the amount we would spend on wages for him.

Not as much as the others. United are trying to bring the wage bill down after some of the ridiculous amounts we've given out over the years.

They don't want to go over 200k and I think Hojlund was around 160k.
That interesting but the horse has somewhat bolted haha. Silly money for Sancho really hurt. They didn't manage to negotiate Mount down either and Antony is on big bucks for someone as unproven as he is.

Will help getting Martial, Casemiro and Varane off the wages in the next 2-3 seasons but knowing United they'll find a way to spend similarly on someone like Griezmann or De Jong.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
That interesting but the horse has somewhat bolted haha. Silly money for Sancho really hurt. They didn't manage to negotiate Mount down either and Antony is on big bucks for someone as unproven as he is.

Will help getting Martial, Casemiro and Varane off the wages in the next 2-3 seasons but knowing United they'll find a way to spend similarly on someone like Griezmann or De Jong.
Antony was a desperation signing by the useless recruitment... they could've got him earlier in the window when Ajax were selling players but decided to spend the whole window chasing after De Jong .. then when that was finally killed off they went back to Ajax, except they'd already sold the farm and put massive overs on Antony.

Then as United do they blew up Antony's wages

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Lineup for MUFC 2nd last friendly and likely the last hitout for the main 11 and key reserves.

20230805 204513

Hojlund expected to be announced and unvelied pre match.

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.