Extract from Webcke's book

Barry Dick says it wasn't a stunt.
Barry Dick never lies.
Barry Dick is a legend.

LOLZ

Again - everything he says in his book he said publicly at the time and has done so again since, so people have obviously asked his opinion - people want to hear what he has to say about things in the game. Why not write a book about it? Why should he be the one NOT to make money out of his opinions? I hope the players are pissed off at him saying these things and that they are pissed off because it makes them realise he has lost some respect for them and I hope other players realise that by carrying on like drunk to the point of oblivion behaving in a manner the larger majority of society find offensive, they are going to continue to lose the respect of legends of the game - the very people who were their heroes and mentors (and in some cases even their current team-mates and peers). And maybe the thought of that will actually make them pull their heads in. I hope more legends and current players have the courage Webcke has shown and speak out publicly against it.

Well said Flutterby, you are quite correct.

Regarding Johns, I think it's noteworthy that despite his so called "courageous" admissions in his own book he didn't also say, to my knowledge, that it shouldn't be acceptable and there should've been more consequences for him at an earlier age. That maybe if the NRL or clubs had taken more ownership of dealing with the problem, punishments etc, that he would've dealt with the real issue earlier and not ended up busted with e etc.

Basically, Johns made it a sob story to feel sorry for him, Webcke makes it an issue to be dealt with. There's the difference.

Coxy said:
Barry Dick says it wasn't a stunt.
Barry Dick never lies.
Barry Dick is a legend.

LOLZ
Hey! Barry Dick's OK, he gave me a signed copy of Webcke's coffee table book! 8-)

Flutterby makes sense.... eusa_think I hadn't looked at it from that perspective. eusa_think

This quote makes me feel a bit better about the situation from Webcke...which is what I had the problem with and what I was annoyed about.

"What I will apologise for is bringing up this which is obviously a very painful experience for them ... they've paid their dues," he said.

"I don't want to do this to the club. I love the club and I would not do anything to harm it."

At first Webcke ordered the pulping of his book because he did not want to regurgitate last year's dramas.

"I thought, 'Oh my goodness. I don't want to bring what was a very public sore back into the limelight'," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html

Scotty said:
I want to see Johns' manager say that to Webckes face the gutless piece of shit. Everything about Andrew Johns is just so hateable, I can't think of a sports personality i hate more.

id like to see u say that to john's manager's face

I'd like to see you say that to Scotty's face as he says it to Johns's manager's face, as he says it to Webcke's face....

Johns is the best player ever it doesn't matter if he takes drugs.

QUEENSLANDER said:
Scotty said:
I want to see Johns' manager say that to Webckes face the gutless piece of shit. Everything about Andrew Johns is just so hateable, I can't think of a sports personality i hate more.

id like to see u say that to john's manager's face
lol i'd do it happily mate, only i'd throw a few more expletives in there. Shit, while i'm at it I'd give it to Johns as well.

Coxy said:
Regarding Johns, I think it's noteworthy that despite his so called "courageous" admissions in his own book he didn't also say, to my knowledge, that it shouldn't be acceptable and there should've been more consequences for him at an earlier age. That maybe if the NRL or clubs had taken more ownership of dealing with the problem, punishments etc, that he would've dealt with the real issue earlier and not ended up busted with e etc.

Basically, Johns made it a sob story to feel sorry for him, Webcke makes it an issue to be dealt with. There's the difference.

Exactly Coxy and his "courageous" admissions only came out once he had been a) busted with an illegal drug and b) after initial denials that he used illegal drugs. Would have been more courageous if he had come out of his own accord and then .... *insert what Coxy said here*

And in regards to Webbie's postive drug test, it was him who brought it to the attention of authorities. To my knowledge he did not request the NRL to cover it up. He raised it with the club, they followed up with the NRL and came back to him with the outcome of those discussions as to what would be done. I personally don't think he didn't anything wrong in that situation.

Of course it's a publicity stunt, and a good one too. So what.

Beads6 said:
Johns is the best player ever it doesn't matter if he takes drugs.
lol..... He's not the best player ever.

gUt said:
Of course it's a publicity stunt, and a good one too. So what.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. Why does it matter if that was his intention? He's only printing 7000 books, so it's not like he's going to make millions off it. But at least he can be assured it will sell out.

It's no different to any other kind of advertising, other than it's much more clever and targeted! I haven't lost any respect for him, good on him!

I take Shanes word if he says it were not a publicity stunt. You all know Webcke. Says what he thinks and is forthright in coming out with his opinions.
I believe he did 'toss and turn' as he says and then changed his mind about the book so as not to hurt the club after seeing this year the support our club still has. Probably thought dredging up the past will bring it all on again so decided to pull it. Journos though have copies so it got out. Turn around and put it back out there.

I won't buy this book and have majority of sporting books written (apart from Union related and Joeys book).
I think he has bought back what these young guys have worked to get through and now it is all thrown back up for them to go through it all again. I think the press of late about the book and now it going out there will be causing problems with the players and Webcke as much as they all love and respect him. (as I do)
League do not need bad press again at the moment and neither do our club who have been clean so far this year.

tryhard said:
I take Shanes word if he says it were not a publicity stunt. You all know Webcke. Says what he thinks and is forthright in coming out with his opinions.
I believe he did 'toss and turn' as he says and then changed his mind about the book so as not to hurt the club after seeing this year the support our club still has. Probably thought dredging up the past will bring it all on again so decided to pull it. Journos though have copies so it got out. Turn around and put it back out there.

Nice sentiment but it's unrealistic. My brother is a published author so I have a little bit of knowledge of how these things work. The publisher's job is to make sure people want to buy the book they've invested in. Do you know how small the Australian book market is? Even then it's something like 70-80% women. Very tough to move units.

I see absolutely no shame in Webcke doing what his literary agent and/or publishing house came up with to get this book on everyone's minds and they did an excellent job. Webcke has an image to protect I guess so he has his part to play as well. This is not a detriment to his character, it's just what you have to do if you want to sell books in Australia, especially to a smaller sub-demographic like league fans.

gUt said:
tryhard said:

Nice sentiment but it's unrealistic. My brother is a published author so I have a little bit of knowledge of how these things work. The publisher's job is to make sure people want to buy the book they've invested in. Do you know how small the Australian book market is? Even then it's something like 70-80% women. Very tough to move units.

I see absolutely no shame in Webcke doing what his literary agent and/or publishing house came up with to get this book on everyone's minds and they did an excellent job. Webcke has an image to protect I guess so he has his part to play as well. This is not a detriment to his character, it's just what you have to do if you want to sell books in Australia, especially to a smaller sub-demographic like league fans.

+1

Though you left out "smaller sub-demographic like LITERATE league fans" :P

So then Webcke lied when he came on TV and said in no way it was a publicity stunt.
His column in this mornings papers also was full of crap as well then [icon_ee
Still believe Shane icon_smile

Active Now

• Santa
  • Xzei
  • Inknition
  • ivanhungryjak
  • GCBRONCO
  • LittleDavey
  • Strop
  • Waynesaurus
  • vertigo
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Yem
  • Old Mate
  • mieko
  • Bronco bob
  • Brocko
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 72 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.