Favourite boxing quotes

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
Mayweather went downhill as soon as he appeared on WWE to verse Big Show.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Clintos said:
Mayweather went downhill as soon as he appeared on WWE to verse Big Show.

Went downhill? Why? He got paid a ridiculous amount of money to participate in a joke event.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
Celebs appearing in the WWE is like selling out. What did he do after that apart from retire?

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Clintos said:
Celebs appearing in the WWE is like selling out. What did he do after that apart from retire?

After that? Nothing. Before that? Probably one of the 20 best fighters in history.

-He won the bronze medal at the Olympics, losing a semi-final in which most observers said he won by a wide margin, which would have had him fighting for the gold.

-He then proceded to turn professional and become the undisputed champion of the 130 pound division, easily defeating Genaro Hernandez who had dominated the division for several years.

-He reigned at super featherweight for almost 4 years, convincingly defeating all comers. He was not in one close fight in his career at super feather. Most boxing experts place him at either number 1 or number 2 all time at super feather, second in some cases only to the absolute legend that was Alexis Arguello.

-He then moved up to lightweight and won the WBC lightweight title by beating Jose Luis Castillo. THe fight was close and the decision disputed so he rematched him immediately and beat him again.

-He quickly moved up again to take Arturo Gatti's WBC jr welterweight title in a 6 round demolition, one of the most impressive performances in the ring in recent memory.

-After one more fight at jr welter against a past prime Sharmba Mitchell he moved up to welterweight to fight for the WBC, IBA and IBO titles agaisnt Argentinian Carlos Baldomir. He did not lose one round in this fight.

-Finally, he moved up to fight Oscar for his jr middleweight title and won by split decision. I have watched and scored the fight on 4 separate occasions and I think it was probably 8 rounds to 4 in favour of Floyd, maybe even 9-3, but you know how it is with OScar in Vegas.

-In his last fight he beat Ricky Hatton, not losing any round on any of the judges' cards until scoring a brutal stoppage in the 10th.

So basically, he won a bronze at the Olympics, fought 11 years as a pro without defeat, capturing world titles in 5 separate weight divisions. I would have thought he did quite a lot personally.

S

Sabu_2008

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008

Tell Tito Ortiz that...he appeared in numerous TNA Pay Per Views and went on to win UFC titles.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Robbie, I love the quick Bio there I absolutely love the guy. I also have great respect for boxers who step up to find new challenges (Jones Jnr was a great example of this). He beat Castillo, Gatti, Hatton, De La Hoya, Judah, Mitchell, Chavez, Hernandez and Corrales that is an amazing resume. The Corrales fight stands out to me the guy had a 33-0 record coming in and Floyd put him down 5 times before his corner finally threw in the towel. He had 1 split decision in his entire career and it was a joke one against Oscar where as you said he won the fight comfortably in a display of boxing class. He is also the most accurate puncher I have seen regularly landing over 40% of his punches where most of his opponents struggle to land 20% on him. Against Gatti he landed nearly 60% of his punches - Flawless display. My favourite to watch from a technical point of view all time.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Robbie, I love the quick Bio there I absolutely love the guy. I also have great respect for boxers who step up to find new challenges (Jones Jnr was a great example of this). He beat Castillo, Gatti, Hatton, De La Hoya, Judah, Mitchell, Chavez, Hernandez and Corrales that is an amazing resume. The Corrales fight stands out to me the guy had a 33-0 record coming in and Floyd put him down 5 times before his corner finally threw in the towel. He had 1 split decision in his entire career and it was a joke one against Oscar where as you said he won the fight comfortably in a display of boxing class. He is also the most accurate puncher I have seen regularly landing over 40% of his punches where most of his opponents struggle to land 20% on him. Against Gatti he landed nearly 60% of his punches - Flawless display. My favourite to watch from a technical point of view all time.

Nice post. I'm a fairly big Floyd fan. I would say he is one of my top 5 favourites. As you said, just a class boxer. He doesn't get anywhere near the respect he deserves from the boxing community. I laugh at people who say Cotto would beat him. I mean, I like Cotto and he is a top fighter but he has not even gone close to proving he could beat Mayweather. Stylistically I don't even think it is a good matchup for Cotto. And yeah, the Corrales fight is one of my favourites also. Although I like Chico as well, it was just an incredible fight, especially when you consider that Corrales was considered to be a marginal favourite heading into the fight. My favourite Floyd fight is still probably Genaro Hernandez. IMO it was his real coming of age as a top level elite fighter.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
You beat me to it Robbie.

Yeah, if there is a thread on a topic I know absolutely nothing about I generally don't post in it as I know I will be unable to add any value. Shame Clintos does not adhere to this train of thought.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":25lckeba]You beat me to it Robbie.

Yeah, if there is a thread on a topic I know absolutely nothing about I generally don't post in it as I know I will be unable to add any value. Shame Clintos does not adhere to this train of thought.[/quote:25lckeba]

Exactly and that is where a lot of the problems this place has been having stem from. People trolling in threads they know nothing about spouting BS just to get a reaction. By Clintos's theory anyone who was great but has retired is s##t because they haven't achieved anything since they called it quits. Interesting logic.

On topic, Robbie did you like the Doco about Rumble in the Jungle 'When we were kings'? Love the story and love the romance surrounding heavyweight boxing in that time when there were some great fighters and some truly great charaters; Patterson, Liston, Ali, Frazier, Spinks, Foreman, Norton, Holmes all the way through to Bowe and Tyson. There are no great guys left and no great characters either, Iron Mike was the last of a dying breed.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":h7ce0tza]You beat me to it Robbie.

Yeah, if there is a thread on a topic I know absolutely nothing about I generally don't post in it as I know I will be unable to add any value. Shame Clintos does not adhere to this train of thought.[/quote:h7ce0tza]
:roll: I know plenty about boxing. Going by your logic, you probably shouldn't post in any topic. I just didn't care for Mayweather at all, whereas you do. That's where the problem lies. IN MY OPINION, Mayweather sold out, and retired way too early. IN MY OPINION Cotto would beat him. What was Mayweather's reason for retiring anyway? He certainly hadn't achieved everything he could in boxing.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
Anyway, Margarito v Cotto - WBA/IBF Welterweight title. What are everyone's thoughts?

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Mayweather achieved what he obviously wanted to and wanted to finish on top, which in a sport like boxing where greed is paramount is very commendable. Cotto has been very good but hasn't fought nearly the quality of guys Floyd beat and beat well. Outside of Judah he hasn't fought anyone in the realm of what Floyd has fought in (big Shane Mosley fan but he isn't the fighter he once was). The fact Mayweather started lighter also shows just how good he is and how his boxing skills are so incredibly refined. IMO Floyd would have/or could box Cotto into the ground because that is what he has done to a lot of very boxers time and time again.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I think Cotto will beat Magarito and will do so pretty easily.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Clintos said:
robbie mustoe said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":3o693szx]You beat me to it Robbie.

Yeah, if there is a thread on a topic I know absolutely nothing about I generally don't post in it as I know I will be unable to add any value. Shame Clintos does not adhere to this train of thought.
:roll: I know plenty about boxing. Going by your logic, you probably shouldn't post in any topic. I just didn't care for Mayweather at all, whereas you do. That's where the problem lies. IN MY OPINION, Mayweather sold out, and retired way too early. IN MY OPINION Cotto would beat him. What was Mayweather's reason for retiring anyway? He certainly hadn't achieved everything he could in boxing.[/quote:3o693szx]

Firstly, if you know plenty about boxing please do not say that a man who won world titles over 5 different weight classes, won an olympic bronze medal, was the pound for pound number 1 and remained undefeated over more than a decade of professional prize fighting achieved nothing. You clearly do not like the guy which is acceptable, however to say he achieved anything but a massive amount in the sport is a joke and if you truly believe this then I'm sorry, but you do not know anything about the sport.

He "retired" because he was losing the negotiating battle with the promotional and money making popularity machine that is Oscar de la Hoya. There is no doubt that Floyd is a better fighter than Oscar however there is also no doubt that Oscar has more pull and therefore gets more money. Floyd hates this due to his gigantic ego and decided to try and screw Oscar over by pulling out of the fight and "retiring". Floyd will be back without a doubt. I would say it is fairly likely that he will return to fight Cotto in '09.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Clintos said:
Anyway, Margarito v Cotto - WBA/IBF Welterweight title. What are everyone's thoughts?

I can't wait for this fight. Potentially fight of the year material I think. I actually think it is an almost pick 'em fight. Cotto is undoubtedly the superior and more verstaile fighter but Margarito is a typical Mexican warrior. He has dynamite power in both hands, a granite chin and will keep coming at you all day. If I had to pick an outcome I would say Cotto by a fairly close UD, however no way would I rule out a Margs stoppage. Cotto got caught enough against Zab to show that Margs can do damage there.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Morepudding
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Tmac
  • Jedhead
  • scobie
  • Bucking Beads
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.