Favourite boxing quotes

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
[quote="robbie mustoe":1n5msj9t][quote="FCB BB AKA MB":1n5msj9t]You beat me to it Robbie.

Yeah, if there is a thread on a topic I know absolutely nothing about I generally don't post in it as I know I will be unable to add any value. Shame Clintos does not adhere to this train of thought.[/quote:1n5msj9t]

Exactly and that is where a lot of the problems this place has been having stem from. People trolling in threads they know nothing about spouting BS just to get a reaction. By Clintos's theory anyone who was great but has retired is s##t because they haven't achieved anything since they called it quits. Interesting logic.

On topic, Robbie did you like the Doco about Rumble in the Jungle 'When we were kings'? Love the story and love the romance surrounding heavyweight boxing in that time when there were some great fighters and some truly great charaters; Patterson, Liston, Ali, Frazier, Spinks, Foreman, Norton, Holmes all the way through to Bowe and Tyson. There are no great guys left and no great characters either, Iron Mike was the last of a dying breed.[/quote:1n5msj9t]

Yeah I have seen it. That was definately the golden era of heavyweight boxing. Even prior to the guys you mention fighters like Louis and Dempsey were just great to watch. I have been watching a lot of Joe Louis lately and I think he is one of the best fighters of all time pound for pound. I used to say that prime for prime Tyson was the best HW ever but I think Joe would have him covered.

Having said this, I think there are other divisions in boxing at the moment that are as strong as they have ever been. Also the mega-fights are doing massive PPV numbers and the normal HBO and ShoBox cards are also doing fairly well.

F

fenomeno

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Heavyweight boxing is in its worst state in years, i think its at its worse right now then its ever been in its history, other divisions are doing well no doubt about it, but HW boxing died around 95 for me, No one is interesting anymore, all the russian fighters these days are putting people to sleep with the way they fight, no HW boxer has any personality or charisma, their styles are similar to guys like Lennox Lewis, not very good.

When we were kings was brilliant, so powerful, best boxing documentary ever made by far.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
fenomeno said:
Heavyweight boxing is in its worst state in years, i think its at its worse right now then its ever been in its history, other divisions are doing well no doubt about it, but HW boxing died around 95 for me, No one is interesting anymore, all the russian fighters these days are putting people to sleep with the way they fight, no HW boxer has any personality or charisma, their styles are similar to guys like Lennox Lewis, not very good.

When we were kings was brilliant, so powerful, best boxing documentary ever made by far.

Yeah I don't think the Eastern European style has helped at all, but the fact that none of the Americans are any good is the most damaging factor I think. I don't really tend to watch too much heavyweight boxing anymore, which is a shame really.

Having said all that, channel 10 will be showing Klistchiko's title defense against American Tony Thompson early on Sunday morning from Hamburg. Wlad was absolutely terrible in his last outing with a very boring UD over Sultan Ibragimov, so hopefully he will want to go out there and show something. There is also a mega-fight brewing with David Haye from the UK, so an impressive KO win is pretty important for Wlad in this fight.

F

fenomeno

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

Yeah I don't think the Eastern European style has helped at all, but the fact that none of the Americans are any good is the most damaging factor I think. I don't really tend to watch too much heavyweight boxing anymore, which is a shame really.

Having said all that, channel 10 will be showing Klistchiko's title defense against American Tony Thompson early on Sunday morning from Hamburg. Wlad was absolutely terrible in his last outing with a very boring UD over Sultan Ibragimov, so hopefully he will want to go out there and show something. There is also a mega-fight brewing with David Haye from the UK, so an impressive KO win is pretty important for Wlad in this fight.

Saw David Haye in action, been hearing they are calling him the new Tyson lol, he does like to talk a lot too, lets see what he does, from what i've seen of him, not expecting much to be honest.

Surprised Ch 10 is showing that fight, never watch FTA tv anymore, what time is it exactly?

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
fenomeno said:
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

Saw David Haye in action, been hearing they are calling him the new Tyson lol, he does like to talk a lot too, lets see what he does, from what i've seen of him, not expecting much to be honest.

Surprised Ch 10 is showing that fight, never watch FTA tv anymore, what time is it exactly?

The fight is on pretty early, 4 am I think.

I personally haven't seen as much as I would like of Haye. From what I have seen he has power and speed, just not sure about his chin's ability to stand up to power shots from a 250+ pound HW like Wlad. There are some rumblings that he is currently in the process of negotiating a fight with former WBC champ Oleg Maskaev for later this year. Look for Haye-Klistchiko in 2009 if Haye can beat Maskaev and another reasonable HW like Monte Barrett.

B

BRFC

Apr 27, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:
[quote="robbie mustoe":tu88butq]
fenomeno said:

I personally haven't seen as much as I would like of Haye. From what I have seen he has power and speed, just not sure about his chin's ability to stand up to power shots from a 250+ pound HW like Wlad. There are some rumblings that he is currently in the process of negotiating a fight with former WBC champ Oleg Maskaev for later this year. Look for Haye-Klistchiko in 2009 if Haye can beat Maskaev and another reasonable HW like Monte Barrett.[/quote:tu88butq]

or Tye Fields

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
BRFC said:
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:
[quote="robbie mustoe":3tnbht04]
fenomeno said:

I personally haven't seen as much as I would like of Haye. From what I have seen he has power and speed, just not sure about his chin's ability to stand up to power shots from a 250+ pound HW like Wlad. There are some rumblings that he is currently in the process of negotiating a fight with former WBC champ Oleg Maskaev for later this year. Look for Haye-Klistchiko in 2009 if Haye can beat Maskaev and another reasonable HW like Monte Barrett.

or Tye Fields[/quote:3tnbht04]

No I don't think Haye will take on Tye. With a potentially massive fight with huge $$$ against the world champ I think it would be foolish to sign a fight with such a bad risk-reward ratio. I would pick Tye to KO Haye fairly easily, possibly at the touch gloves after the pre-fight instructions.

B

BRFC

Apr 27, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
BRFC said:
[quote="robbie mustoe":fjyt1tjm]
fenomeno said:
[quote="robbie mustoe":fjyt1tjm]
fenomeno said:

or Tye Fields[/quote:fjyt1tjm]

No I don't think Haye will take on Tye. With a potentially massive fight with huge $$$ against the world champ I think it would be foolish to sign a fight with such a bad risk-reward ratio. I would pick Tye to KO Haye fairly easily, possibly at the touch gloves after the pre-fight instructions.[/quote:fjyt1tjm]

No way it would get to that. Haye would have to witness the unbelievable physical form of Tye at the weigh-in and would withdraw immediately.

F

fenomeno

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Fields has been knocked out twice already by nuffies, i doubt even Haye would have any trouble beating this guy.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
fenomeno said:
Fields has been knocked out twice already by nuffies, i doubt even Haye would have any trouble beating this guy.

To be fair, jokes aside, Monte Barrett is not a complete nuffy.

F

fenomeno

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

From what I've heard, Barrett's not got any power, yet he knocks out Fields in a minute, doesn't say much about Fields' chin.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
fenomeno said:
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

From what I've heard, Barrett's not got any power, yet he knocks out Fields in a minute, doesn't say much about Fields' chin.

Yeah he doesn't have a great deal of power. He can box though, he has some wins over some pretty decent opponents. I think he is one of the top few American heavies around at the moment. Have you seen the Barrett-Fields fight? If not, here it is. Some pretty funny shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevbyHDe6Mc

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008

Active Now

• davidp
  • Justwin
  • Browny
  • Lostboy
  • mrslong
  • Big Del
  • Morkel
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Rambstien
  • Smokin' Joe
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.