Favourite boxing quotes

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
With all the Iron Mike talk in the other thread I thought I might start one on favourite boxing quotes. There have been heaps of great ones from fighters from back in the 1930s to today. Post your faves if you have any.

Tyson has several pearlers. My favourite Tyson one is probably:

"My power is discombobulatingly devastating. I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm."

There was also a funny one where he was asked in a press conference prior to the Buster Douglas fight if there was a chance that Douglas could beat him. Mike answered:

"Perhaps if I chop off my arms".

Tyson sure had some great ones, love some of these.

"I paid a worker at New York's zoo to re-open it just for me and Robin. When we got to the gorilla cage there was 1 big silverback gorilla there just bullying all the other gorillas. They were so powerful but their eyes were like an innocent infant. I offered the attendant $10,000 to open the cage and let smash that silverback's snotbox! He declined."

I'm the most irresponsible person in the world. The reason I'm like that is because, at 21, you all gave me $50 or $100 million, and I didn't know what to do. I'm from the ghetto. I don't know how to act. One day I'm in a dope house robbing somebody. The next thing I know, 'You're the heavyweight champion of the world.' ... Who am I? What am I? I don't even know who I am. I'm just a dumb child. I'm being abused. I'm being robbed by lawyers. I think I have more money than I do. I'm just a dumb pugnacious fool. I'm just a fool who thinks I'm someone. And you tell me I should be responsible?

fenomeno said:

"I paid a worker at New York's zoo to re-open it just for me and Robin. When we got to the gorilla cage there was 1 big silverback gorilla there just bullying all the other gorillas. They were so powerful but their eyes were like an innocent infant. I offered the attendant $10,000 to open the cage and let smash that silverback's snotbox! He declined."

I'm the most irresponsible person in the world. The reason I'm like that is because, at 21, you all gave me $50 or $100 million, and I didn't know what to do. I'm from the ghetto. I don't know how to act. One day I'm in a dope house robbing somebody. The next thing I know, 'You're the heavyweight champion of the world.' ... Who am I? What am I? I don't even know who I am. I'm just a dumb child. I'm being abused. I'm being robbed by lawyers. I think I have more money than I do. I'm just a dumb pugnacious fool. I'm just a fool who thinks I'm someone. And you tell me I should be responsible?

The second one is almost sad in a sense. People are so quick to write him off as an animal and don't consider the difficulties associated with the rapid transition he made.

Another one I like is from LaMotta:

"My three hardest fights have been against Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Robinson. I've fought Ray so many times I'm surprised I don't have diabetes".

Absolutely - hell, a LOT of Tyson's quotes are as sad as they are hilarious. But most hilarious, of course. Probably the best fighter that I've ever seen, but unfortunately every other headline he has created changed the general public's perception of the man. But, I digress.

robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

The second one is almost sad in a sense. People are so quick to write him off as an animal and don't consider the difficulties associated with the rapid transition he made.

Exactly right, the man was loved by his initial trainers and managers, Jim Jacobs, Bill Cayton, and his great trainer Kevin Rooney.

Problem was, they were all white. when Don King got involved, he destroyed Tyson, Tyson distanced himself from everyone who really loved him, as Tyson said in his later years, "He got me good man, he got me good, he destroyed my life" talking about Don King.

Tyson's biggest weakness was that he didn't trust people, he was easily misled, and when Don King ran his racial propaganda, Tyson was fooled.

A good one by Ali.

"I'm so fast that, last night, I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark."

Tyson - I love this one, classic stuff.

"I just want them to keep bringing guys on and I'm going to strip them of their health. I bring pain, a lot of pain"

Other good ones:

"Saying Moorer has a glass jaw is an insult to glass" - Larry Merchant on former heavy weight champ Michael Moorer.

"I've got it made. I've got a wife and a TV set -- and they're both working." - Willie Pep.

"It's called boxing, not knockouts." - Winky Wright.

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." - George Foreman (who else).

Liked what someone(can't remember) said about Tyson

"Loved by few, hated by many, feared by all"

Tyson:

"Anyone with a grain of sense would know that if I punched my wife I would rip her head off. It's all lies. I have never laid a finger on her. "

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit. "

"I don't react to a tragic happening any more. I took so many bad things as a kid and some people think I don't care about anything. It's just too hard for me to get emotional. I can't cry no more. "

"Real freedom is having nothing. I was freer when I didn't have a cent. "

I don't really follow boxing but I love Ali quotes.

Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.

Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life.

I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own.

I figure I'll be champ for about ten years and then I'll let my brother take over - like the Kennedys down in Washington.

I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''

I'm not the greatest; I'm the double greatest. Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round.

It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am.

Floats like a butterfly, sting like a bee, his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see.

I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.

"One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died. I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like a infantile retard."

This was Tyson recounting some of his experiences when he was younger in an interview. Obviously it is hilarious. Strangely, I found the name that he gave his pigeon the funniest part. Not sure why.

robbie mustoe said:
"One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died. I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like a infantile retard."

This was Tyson recounting some of his experiences when he was younger in an interview. Obviously it is hilarious. Strangely, I found the name that he gave his pigeon the funniest part. Not sure why.

Yeah thats one of the funniest.

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!â€Â

lol what a crazy bastard.

Scotty said:
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!â€Â

lol what a crazy bastard.

Yeah some of the Lewis ones are funny. The best ones are in his initial reign though, because he actially believed what he was saying. By the time he got round to fighting Lewis he was well past his prime and basically just a show, so the ridiculous quotes were just part of the act. He never had any real animosity towards Lewis, and that was the problem really.

Didn't they used to be sparring partners?

Scotty said:
Didn't they used to be sparring partners?

At one point yes, when Tyson was around 15 or 16 years old i believe.

Lewis' fight against Tyson means nothing, Lewis in his prime faced Tyson who was 10-12 years past his prime.

I will remind you that Tyson is a convicted rapist. He's scum and not worthy of any sort of compassion.

gUt said:
I will remind you that Tyson is a convicted rapist. He's scum and not worthy of any sort of compassion.

Do you know anything about his case? I doubt it.

I will remind you that Desiree Washington is a money hungry whore and is not worthy of any sort of compassion.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.