Favourite boxing quotes

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
gUt said:
I will remind you that Tyson is a convicted rapist. He's scum and not worthy of any sort of compassion.

Cheers for that. Now **** off please.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
"I don't have to be his friend ... He'd better be just appreciative that he's sharing the ring with me, and I'm putting him in a position to make more money than he's ever made in his career." Mayweather about Hatton in the lead up to their fight.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
gUt said:
I will remind you that Tyson is a convicted rapist. He's scum and not worthy of any sort of compassion.

No need to arc up over that mate. Take it easy.

I'm not sure why but the arrogant sort of talk Ali came out with doesn't seem to piss me off like the crap that the likes of Mayweather and Mundine speak. [icon_shru

G

guppy

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Scotty said:
I'm not sure why but the arrogant sort of talk Ali came out with doesn't seem to piss me off like the crap that the likes of Mayweather and Mundine speak. [icon_shru

It's all about that certain quality only few possess.

Charisma.

Mundine has the charisma of a retarded hippo.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Mayweather has plenty of charisma too man! He was quite humble after the fight and showed Ricky plenty of respect. Like Ali he always backed up every word he said in the ring and I hope he has retired because to finish with a record like his is astounding. Mundine however, says he is the worlds best 5/8th when playing centre and claims to be the best boxer in the world when he is about to fight a nuffy like Soliman for the third time.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Mayweather has plenty of charisma too man! He was quite humble after the fight and showed Ricky plenty of respect. Like Ali he always backed up every word he said in the ring and I hope he has retired because to finish with a record like his is astounding. Mundine however, says he is the worlds best 5/8th when playing centre and claims to be the best boxer in the world when he is about to fight a nuffy like Soliman for the third time.

Floyd hypes up his fights, he trash talks for the money. It is pretty simple and it works. He never used to do it until he fought Arturo Gatti. In the lead up to the Gatti fight (which was Floyd's first monster PPV) he called Gatti everything he could think of - C class fighter, club fighter, bum, etc etc. It worked, everyone bought the fight. Since then he has pretty much tried to replicate that hype.

IMO it would be a real shame if Floyd didn't return to the ring. He is a fantastic fighter, probably top 20 pound for pound best all time already, and he is still at his prime. There is still a great deal of top rate competition for him to fight also to improve his legacy. Margarito and Cotto fight later this month and I would love to see Floyd come back and fight the victor. There are also a number of other emerging talents such as Paul Williams and Berto that could make great future matches. Having said all this, I think the chances of Floyd coming out of retirement are about 95%. He pretty much just retired cos he wasn't winning the negotiation battle with Oscar for their rematch and he thinks he should get more money.

On Mundine, no doubt his terrible fights are ruining Australian boxing at the moment. Asking people to pay $50 to watch him fight Soliman again (who is pretty much a bum) is pathetic. I am also not in favour of a Green rematch. The first fight was very comprehensive and Green is a very average fighter at best. THere have been some rumours flying round of Mundine possibly fighting Sturm later this year. That would be a good fight and one that I would pay to see, however I do not hold my breath.

F

fenomeno

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Gatti's my favourite junior weight boxer, an absolute legend who's defensive skills might not be the best, but his heart is just something special, he was well washed up when he fought Mayweather, not saying he would have beaten him for sure, but he could have put up a way better fight in his prime.

Gatti's fights have been nominated for Ring Magazine Fight of The Year so many times its not funny.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Oh yeah, Floyd thrashes his opponents but every boxer in history has done that so that doesn't worry me. I only hate the guys who talk but can't back it up (like Mundine) Floyd is just an incredibly confident man and he has very good reason to be. I think he has more to lose than to gain by coming back sooo many fighters including Ali and obviously Tyson have fought for too long and put losses on their records that should not be there, although the guy is still young enough to probably beat any of the guys you mentioned it is just a risk to ruin a perfect record like he has. Most of all he and Jones Jnr are probably the two guys I have enjoyed watching fight the most in the last decade or so.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
fenomeno said:
Gatti's my favourite junior weight boxer, an absolute legend who's defensive skills might not be the best, but his heart is just something special, he was well washed up when he fought Mayweather, not saying he would have beaten him for sure, but he could have put up a way better fight in his prime.

Gatti's fights have been nominated for Ring Magazine Fight of The Year so many times its not funny.

Gatti is my second favourite all time fighter. Just behind Roy Jones, it is close though.

I have Arturo's entire career on DVD and have watched every professional fight he ever fought that was recorded.

Unfortunately gotta disagree with you though on his fight with Floyd. It was just a terrible terrible match-up for Gatti full stop, regardless of the stage of his career. He was not good against skilled boxers. He lost two fights to Ivan Robinson back to back - another boxer although one that is nowhere near Floyd in terms of skill. He also was stopped by Angel Manfredy - a boxer who Floyd stopped in the second round the fight after Manfredy beat Arturo. Also, the two fights against Robinson were at a time when Artuto was fairly near his prime.

Also, not sure about nominations for ring mag fight of the year but I'm pretty sure he was in four that got the nod - Ruelas, Robinson I, Ward I and Ward III. No doubt he was a true legend.

F

fenomeno

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

Gatti is my second favourite all time fighter. Just behind Roy Jones, it is close though.

I have Arturo's entire career on DVD and have watched every professional fight he ever fought that was recorded.

Unfortunately gotta disagree with you though on his fight with Floyd. It was just a terrible terrible match-up for Gatti full stop, regardless of the stage of his career. He was not good against skilled boxers. He lost two fights to Ivan Robinson back to back - another boxer although one that is nowhere near Floyd in terms of skill. He also was stopped by Angel Manfredy - a boxer who Floyd stopped in the second round the fight after Manfredy beat Arturo. Also, the two fights against Robinson were at a time when Artuto was fairly near his prime.

Also, not sure about nominations for ring mag fight of the year but I'm pretty sure he was in four that got the nod - Ruelas, Robinson I, Ward I and Ward III. No doubt he was a true legend.

Those are the ones he got the nod for, definitely a legend.

And yeah, i mean i'm being optimistic here because i'm such a huge fan of Gatti, but i'll agree with you that he wouldn't have much chance Floyd.

I actually saw Robinson v Gatti 1 and 2 a few months ago on ESPN again.

How good was the Ruelas fight, Gatti gets hit with about 15 punches in a row and still doesn't go down, pure war.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
robbie mustoe said:
gUt said:

You first ya knob. Did he get convicted of rape or not? Yes? No?

Oh that's right, he did.

He's filth.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
fenomeno said:
robbie mustoe said:
fenomeno said:

Those are the ones he got the nod for, definitely a legend.

And yeah, i mean i'm being optimistic here because i'm such a huge fan of Gatti, but i'll agree with you that he wouldn't have much chance Floyd.

I actually saw Robinson v Gatti 1 and 2 a few months ago on ESPN again.

How good was the Ruelas fight, Gatti gets hit with about 15 punches in a row and still doesn't go down, pure war.

Yeah, it is unfortunate that he would never have really stood a chance against Floyd. Having said that, not many have.

I love the Ruelas fight. It shows how tough he was. Ruelas was a great fighter himself and for Arturo to come back from all that and KO him was a huge effort. The Robinson fights were great too. Even though Arturo took a beating in both he was prepared to go at it for the entire fight. His losses to Robinson though show how much he struggled with slick boxers, Robinson has, aside from his wins over Gatti, had an ordinary career.

My favourite Arturo fight though is definately Ward I. To win the 10th after the astounding beating he took in the 9th was a joke. He is the toughest warrior ever to fight. Here is the 9th for anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtBo7Y_I3JE

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
gUt said:
robbie mustoe said:
gUt said:

You first ya knob. Did he get convicted of rape or not? Yes? No?

Oh that's right, he did.

He's filth.

Whatever. Please do not post in this thread. Go and talk about something else about which you know nothing.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
"Leave my thread because I wish to worship a rapist in peace".

No worries.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Scotty said:
robbie mustoe said:
gUt said:

No need to arc up over that mate. Take it easy.

With Mayweather - it's the charisma thing.

With Mundine - it's the fact that he talks the talk, but doesn't walk it.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Sorry to troll but I got this from some child on BHQ

Sent at: July 4th, 2008, 4:32 pm
by fenomeno

Tyson over a wanker like you any day.

Thanks for leaving the thread, try not to come back

I was all set to leave this thread alone but with an invitation like that I just can't help myself.

What does it take to stop idolising someone or at least making apologies for them? For me the line is well before their being convicted of rape. Obviously for you the line is well beyond there, so where is it?

I'll watch Tyson box any day of the week but I won't for a microsecond feel pity for his life or his circumstances. He has been convicted of raping an 18 year old girl. Understand that? Does it not move you?

When you finish going through puberty and have a daughter of your own, would you rather invite a convicted rapist to stay the night or someone who says, rapists are scum?

Apologies to the non fvckwits in this thread, but I'm not gonna take abuse from some borderline retarded teenager.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
gUt said:
Sorry to troll but I got this from some child on BHQ

Sent at: July 4th, 2008, 4:32 pm
by fenomeno

Tyson over a wanker like you any day.

Thanks for leaving the thread, try not to come back

I was all set to leave this thread alone but with an invitation like that I just can't help myself.

What does it take to stop idolising someone or at least making apologies for them? For me the line is well before their being convicted of rape. Obviously for you the line is well beyond there, so where is it?

I'll watch Tyson box any day of the week but I won't for a microsecond feel pity for his life or his circumstances. He has been convicted of raping an 18 year old girl. Understand that? Does it not move you?

When you finish going through puberty and have a daughter of your own, would you rather invite a convicted rapist to stay the night or someone who says, rapists are scum?

Apologies to the non fvckwits in this thread, but I'm not gonna take abuse from some borderline retarded teenager.

Yeah I'm not a retarded teenages I am 24.

I have never made excuses for Tyson's actions, just pointed out that he isn't just an out and out monster as many believed. You try going from a poor bordering on homeless nobody to a guy making $50 million a fight and see how you go.

Anyway, what I was objecting to initially was your total lack of contribution to the thread with the pathetic - "he's a rapist, **** him talk" that everyone always trots out.

So yeah, thats about it, go f*ck yourself. icon_thumbs_u

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.