Finals Week 1 - Cowboys vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

fair enough gang....i think public perceptions are important and i think it was a factor but hey, what does it matter what any of us think.just my opinion is all...

TBH i think race has absolutely nothing to do with thaiday being captain. I think thaiday is more 'media friendly' than Parker and I think thaiday said I want the captaincy or I will look around at my options. I really think it is no coincidence that the announcement of him as captain and him signing a new contract came at the same time.

This is what I always assumed - the timing was just too obvious. Which, as Old Mate says, is a shame. I'd have preferred Parker or Glenn, even though he's a little young.

The way we started the game with that unfortunate slip from Beale (btw, the humidity must have been huge because I saw several players loose their footing), followed by a flukey try from an amazing pass by Ash Graham of all people, was just too much to bear for a group that seems to be on their last legs.
Speaking of that try, it was pathetic how a great effort from Copley was undone by lazy defenders not covering on the inside and offering a 4 lane freeway for Bowen to go through.

I know we only lost by 5 tries to 3, but we never really looked likely. Instead we actually looked stuffed halfway through the first half of the game, possibly due to the amount of tackling we had to do and the fact that the heat/humidity in Townsville was pretty high!

I kept hoping against better judgement for a miracle and for the team to suddenly go back to what was working so well at the start of the season, but realistically we've pretty much been out of the running since Origin.

Oh well, the 2012 Broncos are dead. Long live the 2013 Broncos!

I can't believe how many meters we let them have and how little our forwards gained. Our missed tackle count was high and our defence line didn't move up at all. They would make 10 meters before even hitting our line, then they would walk another 5-15 meters before we pulled them down. Terrible lazy defence, terrible missed tackle count and terrible amount of errors. We've always had a problem with moving up off our line in defence though.

I think they need to train them taking 15m back, not 10m. The refs regularly take teams back +12m seemingly allowing the ball player to stand and walk a metre or 2. If you're constantly training at 10m then thats not enough, those few extra m's per tacke running backwards would add up if you're not being conditioned to it.

When I was the AIS they'd dropped the beep test in favour of what they called phosphate testing, basically it was a series of sprints with very short recoveries until you fell over and died, it was pain!!!!!!! but they still charted you and you had to improve, it was allot harder to fake than the beep test.

Last edited:
I can't believe how many meters we let them have and how little our forwards gained. Our missed tackle count was high and our defence line didn't move up at all. They would make 10 meters before even hitting our line, then they would walk another 5-15 meters before we pulled them down. Terrible lazy defence, terrible missed tackle count and terrible amount of errors. We've always had a problem with moving up off our line in defence though.

We were monstered in the forwards. I'm not surprised our backs don't have much to work with when our forwards are getting run over like they are in the last couple of months. I keep saying we need our forwards to go forward and make meters. The best we have looked is when Hannant and Petro were firing - we get on the front foot and our play makers have a defensive line that is backing up. Look at the meters for that last game. None of our forwards made over 75 meters. Meanwhile Scott and Tamou made 221 and 179 meters respectively. That is disgraceful. Our lack of energy/mongrel/attitude from the forwards has been a problem for a while and I'm not surprised we can't fire in attack when our forwards meters look like that. We're still missing that one one monster forward and one x factor back.

Yeah but Scott and Tamou weren't tired from Ori...oh wait.

Not counting Gallen, I'd say Scott and Tamou are the two best props in the NRL.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.