PRE-GAME Finals Week 1 - Eels vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

What’s Melbournes defensive structure? I mean apart from being offside most of the time.

On our right side they always seem to bunch right near turps and then it’s all over from there is it Gillo? Or is it staggs? I’ve been giving shit to isaako but the more I watch the more it looks like he doesn’t really have a choice but to come in.
BJJ.

What’s Melbournes defensive structure? I mean apart from being offside most of the time.

On our right side they always seem to bunch right near turps and then it’s all over from there is it Gillo? Or is it staggs? I’ve been giving shit to isaako but the more I watch the more it looks like he doesn’t really have a choice but to come in.

Staggs the key decision maker on that side for me....clearly there not enough communication going on between anyone out there, but the stats don't show Staggs up in a good light defensively...i think from memory he has been responsible for giving up at least one try per game hes played..!

Staggs the key decision maker on that side for me....clearly there not enough communication going on between anyone out there, but the stats don't show Staggs up in a good light defensively...i think from memory he has been responsible for giving up at least one try per game hes played..!

Kotoni is as bad a defender as Issako, he is just a gun in attack. He will improve in time I believe.

i don’t know about the rest of you, I’m liking the underdog tag. If is see some good defensive reads out wide early on, I reckon we’ll get up.

i don’t know about the rest of you, I’m liking the underdog tag. If is see some good defensive reads out wide early on, I reckon we’ll get up.
If you see us move up as a team in defence with decent and aggressive line speed, instead of sitting on our heels waiting for them to make a decision you'll know we're a chance.
[automerge]1568268600[/automerge]

Last edited:
Ha and they’re trying to pump up the soufs v rorters game.
This will put that one in the shade.
Would also pull a bigger crowd if the ground could hold it.
Might do it anyway.

I still reckon it's further in than either Kotoni or Isaako. It's Turps. More often than not he comes in, probably bc he's used to defending in the middle. He double-teams the man inside him, so Gillett/Staggs/Isaako all have to come in. That's why we immediately look so much better when we have ANYONE else playing #7 - they aim up one-on-one. I love Turps, but he's mostly responsible for our defensive issues on the right IMO.

Having said that though, we're not sliding quick enough in either direction. I have heart palpitations every time our opposition shift the ball outside the middle third of the field, because more often than not, we're short.

Both sides.

Every.
Fucking.
Time.

I still reckon it's further in than either Kotoni or Isaako. It's Turps. More often than not he comes in, probably bc he's used to defending in the middle. He double-teams the man inside him, so Gillett/Staggs/Isaako all have to come in. That's why we immediately look so much better when we have ANYONE else playing #7 - they aim up one-on-one. I love Turps, but he's mostly responsible for our defensive issues on the right IMO.

Having said that though, we're not sliding quick enough in either direction. I have heart palpitations every time our opposition shift the ball outside the middle third of the field, because more often than not, we're short.

Both sides.

Every.
Fucking.
Time.

They have arguably the best wingers in the game so I’m expecting either isaako or Oates to get a bath by their opposing wingers

Both sides.

Every.
Fucking.
Time.

To be honest, I think it's a mixture of all of them being fairly poor defensively. Turpin is the least experienced, but Isaako has a huge history of coming in off his wing in his tiny career so far too. Staggs I'm unsure of yet, I seem to recall him making bad reads in defence even when Turpin wasn't in the halves, but can't remember 100%.

Both sides.

Every.
Fucking.
Time.
I agree. I have said on another thread, last time we played parra, our right side looked more secure when macca was defending in the halves after turpin got binned, and that was with 12 on the field

I fear our only real path to victory is if Fifita and Haas activate beast mode with support from Lodge, get a bit fancy with offloads and Seibold allows Milf to actually sniff around for them like he did in his Canberra days.

It relies on a couple of young studs playing way beyond their ages (they have shown they’re more than capable though), but otherwise it’s a pretty simple plan and could actually work.

If nothing else, splitting them up the middle constantly will likely provide opportunities to score elsewhere - so long as we don’t then go on to **** them up.

Last edited:
Broncos great demands backline rejig
  • Laine Clark
NRL

Anthony Milford (pic) has to play five-eighth for the Broncos says foundation fullback Colin Scott.

Anthony Milford (pic) has to play five-eighth for the Broncos says foundation fullback Colin Scott.

As much as he loves Brisbane, club great Colin Scott fears the Broncos won't advance in the NRL finals series unless they push Corey Oates into the centres and Anthony Milford back to five-eighth.
Inaugural 1988 Brisbane fullback Scott believes the Broncos have the team on paper to threaten the best ahead of Sunday's NRL elimination final against Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium.

But he has urged coach Anthony Seibold to re-jig his backline.
Scott admitted he was not a fan of skipper Darius Boyd switching from fullback to pivot mid-season and hoped Milford would soon don the No.6 jersey again.

"I think fullback Anthony Milford is a great player but I believe he is a better five-eighth," Scott told AAP.
"He has played some good games at fullback but he has to make himself more available and ensure he has his hands on the ball more.
"And Corey Oates is another. He can bust tackles and score tries from anywhere.
"I would have moved him into the centres. Like Milford, he has to be more involved if Brisbane are to succeed in this finals series."
Boyd has copped criticism since moving into the playmaking role mid-season, with some even demanding he retire at season's end - two years before his Broncos contract expires.
Scott did not want to put more pressure on Boyd but admitted it was time for the Broncos veteran to deliver if he was to remain at five-eighth.
"Now is the time to stand up. This is a big test for him. He's been around, he's done it all - he is one of the guys I am looking at to lead the side around.
"And if he can help them knock over the Eels, you never know what can happen."
Seibold copped plenty of flack from the Broncos old boys after favourite son Kevin Walters was brushed and the ex-South Sydney coach took over the reins from foundation mentor Wayne Bennett in 2019.
While Scott backed Seibold, he admitted the former Rabbitohs mentor would have to inspire greatness if the Broncos were to end their longest title drought and win their first premiership since 2006 judging by their last round 30-14 loss to lowly Canterbury.
"I look at them one week and they can play some great football and the next the same effort is not there," he said.
"I have got a lot of respect for Anthony Seibold. Everything I hear about him is that he is a great player coach and I played under some of the best like Wayne Bennett.
"But I think the players have to look at themselves. If they don't turn up for each other then they are not going to win.

"And from last week's performance (against Bulldogs) I am thinking this will be their last game."

He comments Boyd should get more involved but interestingly doesn’t offer a new position for him after saying he prefers Milf at 6.

Last edited:
The standard changed during the Henjak/Hook era when a powerhouse club was reduced to mere mortals and mediocrity was accepted as a "the future is bright" slogan. Bennett returned and the club became instant contenders again despite him stating that it would take him five years to mop up the mess that Hook left behind.

Bennett has now moved on and now we are back to the stage where Hook left it in 2014. Run again by incompetents who are again staining the legendary status of the club and all with the same promise for a brighter future.

Many of today's diehard fans weren't around in the hearty days of the 90's and 2000's and have no idea of the standards set during those eras. The older diehards like myself are rare because many aren't near as passionate anymore or have ditched the game completely. That just leaves the younger modern fan who easily accept mediocrity in the hope that the future yields a dynasty. A dynasty may occur in the future but the current admin and coaching crew will be long gone.
Yeah right. Everyone's incompetent except you and your rareness.

Oates to centre? Oates is a powerful runner and could run centre lines but as much as i like him, he is as dumb as a post. He makes poor defensive reads on the wing, let alone putting him in centre which is arguably one of the most difficult positions to defend.

The standard changed during the Henjak/Hook era when a powerhouse club was reduced to mere mortals and mediocrity was accepted as a "the future is bright" slogan. Bennett returned and the club became instant contenders again despite him stating that it would take him five years to mop up the mess that Hook left behind.

Bennett has now moved on and now we are back to the stage where Hook left it in 2014. Run again by incompetents who are again staining the legendary status of the club and all with the same promise for a brighter future.

Many of today's diehard fans weren't around in the hearty days of the 90's and 2000's and have no idea of the standards set during those eras. The older diehards like myself are rare because many aren't near as passionate anymore or have ditched the game completely. That just leaves the younger modern fan who easily accept mediocrity in the hope that the future yields a dynasty. A dynasty may occur in the future but the current admin and coaching crew will be long gone.
What would you recommend the “ incompetents” do differently to guarantee a shift back into godly realms?

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • kiwi2
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.