POST GAME Finals Week 1 - Roosters vs Broncos

What if we put 30+ on next week in a dominant performance? If it all just clicks, I'll dare to dream on the back of momentum.

Storm are due a shock, wouldn't Brisbane knocking them out just be perfect karma?

What if we put 30+ on next week in a dominant performance? If it all just clicks, I'll dare to dream on the back of momentum.

Storm are due a shock, wouldn't Brisbane knocking them out just be perfect karma?

Apparently the broncos haven't gone too bad at AAMI park in recent times so it's definitely possible. In fact we're a better chance down there than Suncorp. It just depends how many fuckups moga makes.

Apparently the broncos haven't gone too bad at AAMI park in recent times so it's definitely possible. In fact we're a better chance down there than Suncorp. It just depends how many fuckups moga makes.

Not just him. Everyone.

Need it all to click next week, can't underestimate whoever we play but we also need to dominate.

This the most frustrating thing about our side.

We have a fucking great side on paper, full of all the potential you could ever want. When we put it together we can beat anyone including Melbourne. We have the team to beat Melbourne as our style of play is their worst enemy.

But our attitude and inconsistency is constantly killing us.

We have a fucking great side on paper, full of all the potential you could ever want. When we put it together we can beat anyone including Melbourne. We have the team to beat Melbourne as our style of play is their worst enemy.

If inconsistency prevails then we are due for some good form.

His trip is only a charge and he doesn't miss any weeks which is good

On paper, it's a good side. When you have the likes of Moga, Sims, Niko, an inconsistent Blair, a hot and cold Milf in your side, it doesn't come across as being great but as a side who could make some noise if provided with some luck and momentum.

I don't even think mead has played or trained at fullback for years. No wonder our line was clueless, the guy who was training to make those calls was on the bench ffs. I think Wayne needs to just back kodi unconditionally. Pick and stick not shit the bed on game day.
I dont know what is worse, you actually saying "I don't think Mead has played or trained at fullback for yrs" or posters giving you a thumbs up for it.

He played a dozen or so games last yr at FB and was one of the positives in Titans getting to the finals. Boyd was at FB a couple of weeks ago when this "defensive line" had 50 put on them. Meady was up for it last night, straight n hard in finals footy.

Goodluck to Kodi next week at FB, I like the kid, prob my next fav Bronco

I dont know what is worse, you actually saying "I don't think Mead has played or trained at fullback for yrs" or posters giving you a thumbs up for it.

He played a dozen or so games last yr at FB and was one of the positives in Titans getting to the finals. Boyd was at FB a couple of weeks ago when this "defensive line" had 50 put on them. Meady was up for it last night, straight n hard in finals footy.

Goodluck to Kodi next week at FB, I like the kid, prob my next fav Bronco

Ok cool so you answered my query. He hasn't trained there since last year which is ages ago. He isn't a messiah, he needs to practice there if he's gonna play there. I'm happy for a player to be selected in a position they have trained for leading up to the game not a last minute switch up for a final.

Ok cool so you answered my query. He hasn't trained there since last year which is ages ago. He isn't a messiah, he needs to practice there if he's gonna play there. I'm happy for a player to be selected in a position they have trained for leading up to the game not a last minute switch up for a final.
He's trained there quite a bit over the yr, prob more than Kodi. Not a ideal situation but Boyd was a big miss for the game, Im guessing he'll be out this week aswell

Let's look on the bright side.

A) We came back from 14-0 for a tight contest
B) An extra game of Broncos for the year

On paper, it's a good side. When you have the likes of Moga, Sims, Niko, an inconsistent Blair, a hot and cold Milf in your side, it doesn't come across as being great but as a side who could make some noise if provided with some luck and momentum.

I tend to agree.

Bennett has assembled a very good side and has done well to keep the key talent at the club. With so many quality players off contract the situation could have been a lot worse than what it was but the Broncos have been able to retain Darius Boyd, Corey Oates, James Roberts, Anthony Milford, Josh McGuire & Matt Gillett among others. These players can deliver you a premiership but you've got to get the balance right and hope the support is there.

As far as the 2017 season is concerned, the Broncos had the toughest draw of any side and yet still managed to finish third. They're not one of the most convincing sides in the competition, but in a year where teams either had to deal with changes or under-performed, the Broncos did well to remain consistent and always kept themselves in the contest.

I look at performances like Round 7 & 8 as indicative of the Broncos season. On a personal level, the Broncos didn't play well at all, but they managed to stay in the contest and when the game was there to be won, the key players stood up and got the win for the Broncos.

When I look at the Broncos roster, I don't see that many stand-outs. Matt Gillett is one of the best second rows in the game, but he doesn't have the best running game and his strongest asset is his ability to produce try-savers on the line. Boyd is a world class backline utility, but I don't know if I'd consider him the best fullback in the game. There was a window of time where that was the case but now with players like Tedesco, Trbojevic, Gutherson his position in the game has diminished.

Then you've got players like McGuire, Oates, Milford, Kahu, Roberts, Glenn etc. who are good players but most likely wouldn't make the Top 17 players list.

The rest of the side are just young guns or fillers who are either learning their trade or filling a gap with the understanding they're not getting paid the same as a Chambers, Jennings, Ferguson etc. and they're just there to fill a spot.

That's why I'm not mad at a player like Moga. I feel like so many fans are hard on him but when you look at value for money and the fact he's been able to fill a spot that was so problematic last year (and ultimately cost us our season...) I think he's been a valuable asset.

The Broncos had to make some tough calls this year. They've had to let players like Hunt, Blair, Ese'ese & Arrow walk while they get ready for the future. I believe they made the right calls moving forward, but I'll have to see their replacements before I can say for sure. Bennett cannot make the mistake that Griffin did and let players go without having a solution. I have enough trust in Wayne and believe Bird is going to be a valuable piece in the puzzle. He's a quality young player and while he's going to struggle finding his spot in the side, it won't be long before he becomes a fan favourite. If I was to put together a mock NYC draft in 2014, he would have been my #1 pick, no question.

I hope we see more signings like Bird in the future to help compliment the players coming through the NYC ranks. 2018 is going to be a huge year for players like Jaydn Su'A, George Fai & Jamayne Isaako, for our sake I hope they can make an impression. Furthermore I've got my fingers crossed for Corey Allan who has the poise of a first grader. Of all the Under 20s prospects we have coming through, I believe only he and Su'A are the ones capable of making a genuine impact next season. Then further down the line Patrick Carrigan & Payne Haas could have huge careers but fans will have to be patient with them.

Regardless, I think the club has done well to avoid another disaster and while a lot of question marks remain, there's cause for optimism in our ranks.

What do you make of the attacking structure, Pete? You think the premiership can be won with ad hoc footy? I feel like in high pressure games it'll more than likely lead to errors.

Just a bit of perspective from the weekend. Yes, we lost, but we have something that after this weekend 10 other sides do not have, and that is, ee can still win it this year.

So, after this weekend there are 6 sides left, and they are all in the same position, they have to win there next game to go on. All 6 are in that position.

Our advantage, we are playing at home against a side that also has some injuries and that has been flakey this year as well. It now just becomes one week at a time for us.

I feel like Wayne needs to do another position move in the off season that's nearly as significant as the locky one. Boyd needs to move to left centre. The position is vacant and Boyd is at the perfect stage of his career to move there. His speed and now his hammy's can not withstand the demands of fullback like hodges towards the end. This will allow jack bird to play fullback and get him more involved. Then all that is required is drilling a variety of set plays to unleash our centres and fullback. When situations ask for ad hoc plays we're already ready for that as well.

By far our biggest concern for next year is the continued improvement of Milf. I am seriously doubting he can see a game unless it's slapping him in the face.
Until we get "the guy" who can take control in pressure situations in tight games then we will be consistently in the 8 without a serious chance .

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.