Finals Week 1

There are more mistakes than ever. Almost every game has people talking about multiple dud decisions. In the past you actually had quite a few games where people went "The refereeing was actually great". It doesn't help that they use the 2 refs in a rotational way which totally screws up the game too.

It's clearly worse than it used to be though.

nah, not at all. i've been following rugby league pretty avidly for 30+ years and I don't think it is any worse now than it has been at any time over then. in fact, compared to the late 80s and early 90s it is much better. since refs have gone professional I think it has got better since they are obviously fitter, better trained etc.

since the SL war they have been pretty much at the same level. I don't really have specific memories of how they were every season but I certainly don't think they have been noticeably worse this season. Last year was actually pretty awful to be honest and so was the first year the NRL had two refs but this year hasn't been exceptionally bad in my opinion.

I think people just have really short memories and love having a reason to complain.

There are more mistakes than ever. Almost every game has people talking about multiple dud decisions. In the past you actually had quite a few games where people went "The refereeing was actually great". It doesn't help that they use the 2 refs in a rotational way which totally screws up the game too.

biggrin.gif
if you had said you heard people saying 'oh, the reffing was alright' I might have believed you but you're stretching it a bit far there

Last edited:
Despite the controversy, this week was easily better than last years corresponding week. First three games were actually worthwhile contests with Saturday nights match besting anything the finals produced last year.
The first game was as close to match rigging by refs as you can get.
The second game, again, refs screwed someone over.
Third game I didn't watch much of since I was majorly pissed off.
Fourth game was like one team was playing for the wooden spoon, and the refs were trying to blow the pea out of the whistle.

2 ruined games, 1 supposedly excellent, 1 pathetic display by 1 team, all 4 games with the refs apparently being paid by the penalty. Terrible week IMO.

nah, not at all. i've been following rugby league pretty avidly for 30+ years and I don't think it is any worse now than it has been at any time over then. in fact, compared to the late 80s and early 90s it is much better. since refs have gone professional I think it has got better since they are obviously fitter, better trained etc.

since the SL war they have been pretty much at the same level. I don't really have specific memories of how they were every season but I certainly don't think they have been noticeably worse this season. Last year was actually pretty awful to be honest and so was the first year the NRL had two refs but this year hasn't been exceptionally bad in my opinion.

I think people just have really short memories and love having a reason to complain.
I'm 100% with you on this one, mate. The refs get judged far too harshly, if there's some amazing referees in hiding then where are they? A ref has a very hard job, they need to be basically perfect in every way and every decision and are massively criticised for the smallest mistakes, I'd like to see anyone do a better job.

Yes the refs fucked up and yes the Cowboys have a right to be filthy but ... Shit happens.
The refs should all be dropped but not sacked, how would anyone here like to be sacked for a mistake?

Don't get me wrong, the refs piss me off and I curse them many times but that's only natural as a fan.

It's a shame that you let the referees spoil it for you AP. With the exception of the forth game which was one way traffic (Newcastle did play well and deserve credit), I found all the games held my interest until the final whistle which is more than I can say for a lot of finals games.

Sadly, I can't see this week being much better.

I very much enjoyed the first week, 3 high quality games and I think it should get even better from here.

I definitely enjoyed this weekend's games. I'm sure a debacle like the 7th tackle try leaves a bad taste post-match but I struggle to see how it could ruin the spectacle of the game itself. I could barely sit down in the last 10 minutes of the Sharks-Cowboys game and when Linnett dived over in the corner I shouted so loud that my wife ran in from to garden to check if everything was alright.

for pure enjoyment it was a great game and at the end of the day that is why I follow rugby league.

I think we are over officiating and complicating the rules. The amount of nitpicking penalties that are blown early in yet don't get penalised later on when the exact same thing happens its farcical. Plus the fact they put the whistles away for the last 10 minutes of normal time is ridiculous.

I also hate how teams get a run of penalties or square ups, just to even the count ie Storm penalised 5 times in a row

The amount of nitpicking penalties that are blown early in yet don't get penalised later on when the exact same thing happens its farcical. Plus the fact they put the whistles away for the last 10 minutes of normal time is ridiculous.

but then when the referees keep blowing penalties late in the game you get the chorus of 'let the players play' and fans complaining how the refs shouldn't be deciding the result and trying to hog the limelight in the crucial stages of the game.

just like fans complaining about the refs blowing too many penalties (like hands on the ball) and then a different group of fans turn around and complain that the refs don't give away enough penalties and they should crucify teams for being offside or walking off the mark etc

damned if you and damned if you don't in many cases

I don't like the square ups though or the obvious crowd-influenced penalties. those give me the shits

Last edited:
The first week of the finals my thoughts

Game 1: Don't understand why some are going on about the Slater no try which was a bad call imo but it can't be blamed for Melbourne's loss as South Sydney got away to an early lead while Melbourne lacked finals tempo. Thought the match lacked finals intensity tbh

Game 2: One of the most controversial games i've ever seen but it was compelling viewing with a thrilling and confusing finish but the 7th Tackle controversy leaves a sour taste.

Game 3: Shows that you don't need plenty of points to have high-quality entertaining footy, epic battle that went right down to the wire. Just incredible defense by the Roosters

Game 4: Newcastle played very well against an exhausted team that was on it's last legs and never really looked like being in real strife.

I enjoyed the Souths - Melbourne game. the tears of all the Storm fans down here were delicious ... in fact, 3 days on and I'm still enjoying the complaining about a Sydney-centric conspiracy from the fans of a team found guilty of one of the worst conspiracies in history of professional sport

I enjoyed the Souths - Melbourne game. the tears of all the Storm fans down here were delicious ... in fact, 3 days on and I'm still enjoying the complaining about a Sydney-centric conspiracy from the fans of a team found guilty of one of the worst conspiracies in history of professional sport
I would love for Melbourne to be bundled out in straight sets.

Game 1: Don't understand why some are going on about the Slater no try which was a bad call imo but it can't be blamed for Melbourne's loss as South Sydney got away to an early lead while Melbourne lacked finals tempo. Thought the match lacked finals intensity tbh
You really don't seem to understand how the whole scoring points thing works do you? How does a team reel in an early lead? By scoring points. When you score points and the refs just deny them for no reason it makes that quite hard.

You really don't seem to understand how the whole scoring points thing works do you? How does a team reel in an early lead? By scoring points. When you score points and the refs just deny them for no reason it makes that quite hard.

Souths were the better team never the less.

I don't recall being as angry at the refs as I have this year and last year. But maybe that is because Broncos have not been playing well lately? Was it last year that they introduced two refs?

I can recall people on forums 10 years ago claiming the refs were the worse they had ever seen. Some things will never change...

I don't recall being as angry at the refs as I have this year and last year. But maybe that is because Broncos have not been playing well lately? Was it last year that they introduced two refs?

I'm pretty certain 2009 was the first year they had two refs because it is largely a response to teams wrestling so much and slowing the ruck down. I remember the quality of refereeing going down that year because you had a whole bunch of new and inexperienced refs getting lots of game. but since then it has gotten pretty good.

to be honest, a lot of the problems I have now with referees are shit like VR interpretations and the constant changing of the rules, which is a problem with the lawmakers and NRL rather than the refs on the field.

Active Now

• Jason Simmons
  • jarro65
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.