OFFICIAL Flegler ***** off to the Dolphins

I dont see this as a failure in retention like i did with Fifita. Ultimately we will be just fine as we are overstocked with forwards and outside backs.

On another note, player managers are kinda silly these days. Herbie and Flegler both would have been better off signing 12 month contracts for next year and really gunned for a premiership. Most GF and premiership players are worth extra on the open market. With all the thrashings they have endured as young men entering the NRL you would think they would want to be somewhere that isn't going to be continually bashed for the next three or four years..
There's every chance the Dolphins are more competitive than us next year. They have an elite coach, an excellent junior base, plenty of experience, are adding a gun back and highly rated prop with still plenty of money to spare to make another 2 or 3 big signings.

It's more than likely Flegler and Herbie planned together to go the Dolphins.

They'll struggle to avoid the spoon this year, but they'll be competitive next year.

Again I wish Flegler had stayed but if Redcliffe are going to pay massive overs for players that is their salary cap problem not ours.

One of our problems over the last few years were that we paid overs for players that didn't earn it and tied our salary cap up with no room to move. (Milford, TPJ, Lodge, Staggs and Flegler). Hopefully Flegler is still a penalty magnet when he gets to Redcliffe (though I'll have money that once he leaves us the penalties will dry up) and fingers crossed that Staggs poor form last year was due to the Origin injury he received and he can finally earn the money he is now being paid.

There's every chance the Dolphins are more competitive than us next year. They have an elite coach, an excellent junior base, plenty of experience, are adding a gun back and highly rated prop with still plenty of money to spare to make another 2 or 3 big signings.

They'll struggle to avoid the spoon this year, but they'll be competitive next year.
Yeah I guess I wont draw any assumptions as to if they planned to go together or not. The reality is, the Dolphins just payed Haas money for a Flegler, and the cost of two Rhys Walsh for one Farnworth. If trial form is anything to go off, the Dolphins are up for a tough couple of years. I don't know who they can sign for 2024 that will make them more competitive, their spine is still going to be terrible.

There are three big appeals to players:
1. Money
2. Premierships
3. Opportunity (I.e. to play first grade, their preferred position, or catch representative eyes).

If we are not competing for premierships, we are going to have players leave us for teams that can win premierships or teams willing to pay more.

We just have to ensure we invest in the right players in the right positions, get value from our investments and become a premiership threat again. Then retaining players will be easier.

Should deadset use this money to sign RTS and move Walsh into the halves
If this is a realistic possibility I would flick both of them right now

who have they signed to play in the spine?

Well it makes you wonder what it is that has made Brisbane confident Haas will stay, particularly when the Chickens eventually decide they want him and then salary doesn't matter.

That said, a lot of supporters have been screaming out for our club to identify key planks and build around them and they have certainly done that with Haas and Carrigan, these are the two forwards the club should be building around.

I don't blame Herbie and Flegler for taking the big money but jeez I'm disillusioned with the NRL (non) system.
I've paid my money for season tickets and here we are, on the eve of Round 1, and I'll be sitting there wondering if 2 of the players in my team are going to give their best efforts for the Broncos this season. That really sucks.
And we can be sure that Badel's storyline this week will be whether the Broncos should release Farnworth and Flegler early.😡

This really does sting. In hindsight it was probably always going to happen. Ikin is not going to pay overs for these players when we are so stacked in the forwards/outside backs. The issue is I dont see where the replacement is. We need a hard nosed forward to can hurt and rattle the opposition. Flegler is exactly that and he is just coming into his peak. I was impressed with Logan Bayliss in the trials, maybe he might fill the void on the bench? I dont really think willison is up to scratch at this point in his career.
I agree. Jenson has showed you don’t need to pay overs for a prop.

Gotta give it to the Dolphins - these announcements are timed at maximum damage
I don’t think they have had much to do with the timing, I think the broncos have wanted to know before the season started to avoid carrying any distractions into the season.

While Bennett and the Phins would be feeling a bit smug after FINALLY getting some wins on the board, I thought it might be a good time to check the scoreboard.

Broncos wins:
  • We got Reece Walsh for half the price that the Phins were prepared to pay for him (they were desperate for his signature as well)
  • Patty Carrigan rejected them to re-sign with us
  • they took Isaako and Niu off our hands
  • Bennett was forced to break one of his rules to get Flegler off us. he has never been prepared to pay big money for props before.
  • we stopped the chicken sandwich kid going there
  • we stopped Mariner going there.

Dolphins wins
  • Herbie
  • that is all

If this is a realistic possibility I would flick both of them right now

who have they signed to play in the spine?
Like I said, time to make 2 or 3 more signings. They have a gun half in the making, they've have a pretty good 9 coming through, hammer the jury is still out but but it'll be either him or Herbie Fullback next year.

They'd have at least 2 1m dollar signings left in them with the cap increase and being a reported 2m under the cap this year allows them to front load a heck of a lot of contracts.

Sad about losing both our players. But for what it’s worth, I’m proud of management for not getting into a bidding war over 2 players we can replace. If the Panthers, Storm and Rooters have shown us anything, is that a solid spine is a must.
We have capable centres to plug that gap and some great young forwards.

Like I said, time to make 2 or 3 more signings. They have a gun half in the making, they've have a pretty good 9 coming through, hammer the jury is still out but but it'll be either him or Herbie Fullback next year.

They'd have at least 2 1m dollar signings left in them with the cap increase and being a reported 2m under the cap this year allows them to front load a heck of a lot of contracts.

Aren't they not allowed to be 2 million under the cap?

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Lozza
  • john1420
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.