OFFICIAL Flegler ***** off to the Dolphins

id be having a look at best as far as centers go if he came reasonably priced
Admit i thought the same, Manu is off contract, but probably wants fullback money to move..

Best is a high-risk/high reward signing.

Depending on how he goes this year, and depending on salary, he'd be high in my recruitment list.

When fit and locked in, he is the definition of a strike centre, and we could perhaps have one on each edge if Staggs hits his ceiling.

Right now - big "if"...

Spencer Leniu would be nice.

In DD and Ikin we must trust. Pragmatic management. Dolphins can afford to offer at least 25% over what hes worth and are desperate for a younger long term Prop. Was the right decision for Flegs.
I’m trusting they have a plan. We should all be getting excited for the comp to start next week…..not losing players hand over fist at this late stage.

Lockyer, the board and whoever deals with player retention should be sacked. Absolutely ridiculous losing players that said they wanna be broncos for life

translation:

you think that Lockyer, the board the retention committee etc. should be sacked for not paying ridiculous overs for a couple of players (as good as they are).

repeating the mistakes of the past is not the way to win a premiership.

Also, speaks volumes doesnt it that the club did in fact get his first long term contract with us horribly wrong.

Where else do you go if your Brisbane but down? And why should Flegler accept that - he is after all used to being a $650K a year prop...

I think its time to take a look at precisely who's off contract at the start of 2024 season...got $1 million to spend now...

sound like we did offer in the region of 650k a season ... it's just that the Phins offered 800k a season

Bye Flegs. Something had to give with Payne, Patty and Flegler and for mine he was the weakest of the three.

If the danger of the Dolphins wasn't obvious before, it is now. We need to be identifying our best and locking them down before they go to market.

This really does sting. In hindsight it was probably always going to happen. Ikin is not going to pay overs for these players when we are so stacked in the forwards/outside backs. The issue is I dont see where the replacement is. We need a hard nosed forward to can hurt and rattle the opposition. Flegler is exactly that and he is just coming into his peak. I was impressed with Logan Bayliss in the trials, maybe he might fill the void on the bench? I dont really think willison is up to scratch at this point in his career.

We have AT LEAST an extra million in our cap. At least. Ikin will be patient I believe, but once we want someone (outside of a roosters player, due to "culture") we will get them. The other way we could do things is plug holes and add depth with value for money buys (eg sione matiuatai, Kerr, Clifford, etc, think the backs are OK even without farnworth) then front load some imperative contracts with a view to add on 2 or 3 years (eg carrigan. walsh and mozer might fit into here too due to their spine importance).
This will be a win for us, I have zero doubt about it actually.

We have AT LEAST an extra million in our cap. At least. Ikin will be patient I believe, but once we want someone (outside of a roosters player, due to "culture") we will get them. The other way we could do things is plug holes and add depth with value for money buys (eg sione matiuatai, Kerr, Clifford, etc, think the backs are OK even without farnworth) then front load some imperative contracts with a view to add on 2 or 3 years (eg carrigan. walsh and mozer might fit into here too due to their spine importance).
This will be a win for us, I have zero doubt about it actually.

Im guessing we have up to 2.1 to spend next year.

Lockyer, the board and whoever deals with player retention should be sacked. Absolutely ridiculous losing players that said they wanna be broncos for life

They all say that when its contract negotiating time. Then people wave big salaries under their noses and things change.

Payne is probably looking for another $200-300k on his contract. Carrigan will have to have his contract doubled. There is Fleglers salary gone already on those 2.

We also then have to look at Mariner, Capewell, Reynolds, Riki, Mam and Madden probably for the year after.

I dont think we are going to have as much spare as people think.

Yes, exactly.....ive no problem with Brisbane not bending over here....i think its the emotions involved regarding where he actually "went" thats the issue...

Anyway, heres a list of currently off-contract props and centres (including our own) for folks to mull over...

View attachment 21111

View attachment 21110
I don't think we need to focus on a centre replacement... we've been needing to figure out how Staggs, Herbie, Cobbo and Mariner all fit into 2 centre spots.

Removing Herbie reduces that to 3 into 2, and one of those happens to have a game more suited to the left hand side. The centres and back line may actually be more balanced with one of them moving on.

Nearly every player to breath air is off contract end of 24 whilst it may suck we just need to renew our good players and then overpay a handy role player for 12 months so that we are cap compliant and still ah e some cash to splash for 25’.

I dont see this as a failure in retention like i did with Fifita. Ultimately we will be just fine as we are overstocked with forwards and outside backs.

On another note, player managers are kinda silly these days. Herbie and Flegler both would have been better off signing 12 month contracts for next year and really gunned for a premiership. Most GF and premiership players are worth extra on the open market. With all the thrashings they have endured as young men entering the NRL you would think they would want to be somewhere that isn't going to be continually bashed for the next three or four years..

Yes, exactly.....ive no problem with Brisbane not bending over here....i think its the emotions involved regarding where he actually "went" thats the issue...

Anyway, heres a list of currently off-contract props and centres (including our own) for folks to mull over...

View attachment 21111

View attachment 21110
Those players are off contract end of next year not end of this year.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.