FoxLeague

My point was that the woman on stage was clearly not depicted as she is when her image was displayed alongside two of the other women. Her overly generous curves were slimmed down so she wouldn't appear so heavy when contrasted with the other women. In the image used at the 42 minute mark she appears to be of a similar build and weight as the other women yet we all can see that's plainly not the case.

That's not a criticism of her but of Fox ( advertising department and oversight )

Just on this point, has anyone else noticed the A Current Affair ad has a picture of a Tracy Grimshaw of about 20 years ago? I don't watch the show and cannot stand it as it is basically advertising now but I do find it interesting. I haven't noticed it on any other show or network but that is truly noticeable.

Does anyone know why Channel 9 has done it? Is it her choice or theirs?

Ad:

maxresdefault.jpg

Reality:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yvonne is gorgeous, I don't see any problem with saying that. She is very good at her job which is full credit to her.

I don't have a problem with others saying it, I just don't buy into this perception that she's a great journalist.

It seems like the reason she's popular is...

1) She's attractive
2) She's a Queenslander

And that's where it ends for a lot of people.

I'm sure there's more to it, but considering those points are rarely raised, it's difficult to argue against the idea of female tokenism.

I'll drop it there, all I can say is that this season cannot come soon enough.

I don't have a problem with others saying it, I just don't buy into this perception that she's a great journalist.

1) She's attractive
2) She's a Queenslander

I'm sure there's more to it, but considering those points are rarely raised, it's difficult to argue against the idea of female tokenism.

Fox League is all about tokenism this year. How else do you explain an 'all woman' show that is being marketed for that reason.

Yvonne is an ok and steady operator but that she was the target of a bidding war between Nine and Fox Sports is just plain ridiculous.

Last edited:
I know you want to drop it there @Big Pete, but I do think her journalism and professionalism is really good. Compare her to the other idiots that were on channel 9 last year and she is head and shoulders above them all. She often managed to keep them on track despite them usually acting like little kids, pretty good professionalism amongst the amateurism that is all things NRL / Channel 9.

Biased as I am in regards to Yvonne, she's in my opinion the best female RL host on TV.
She doesn't have the knowledge depth of some, but she is knowledgeable enough to host a RL show, ask the right questions, follow the conversation, intervene and improvise without blindly following a script, which quite a few of her colleagues (male and female) are unable to do properly in my opinion.

I remember copping a fair bit of abuse because I thought the footy shows were simply putting women in the limelight so as to get more women in. Them and their wallets that is. These same people from Fox now are showing that the actual body of Sampson is something to be ashamed of. What other explanation can there be I wonder ? Actually slimmimg down her image in just the same way magazines do. She should be shown as she is, warts and all as the saying goes. I know that's not the original of course, remark upon my image etc etc....

1) She's attractive
2) She's a Queenslander

As a female viewer I love Vonney as she is the one woman on the tv that has actually played Rugby League at an elite level, as well as being articulate and intelligent. She brings a more in depth knowledge of the game then someone like Erin Molan. she also doesn't whore herself out like Erin can do on occasion. I don't hate Erin though, she clearly loves the game.

My other favourite is Lara Pitt too who has an excellent knowledge of the game - more than just what player looks good in what colour, which is usually the stereo type the boys club like to present as their nod to "women in league".

I'm really looking forward to the women's tv show, I hope it lives up to my expectations and isn't ruined by the boys club at Fox. There are plenty of women like myself who love footy just as much as blokes, I hope they can do that side of the market justice.

----
Out of the new rising star commentators I have to say I rate Braith Anasta. Hated him with the fire of a million suns as a player, but geeze his knowledge of the game & ability to read it is exceptional. He also has good grammar, another plus.

--
My most reviled is Mark Gasnier. Can someone PLEASE tell him it's "those players"not "them players"

I remember copping a fair bit of abuse because I thought the footy shows were simply putting women in the limelight so as to get more women in. Them and their wallets that is. These same people from Fox now are showing that the actual body of Sampson is something to be ashamed of. What other explanation can there be I wonder ? Actually slimmimg down her image in just the same way magazines do. She should be shown as she is, warts and all as the saying goes. I know that's not the original of course, remark upon my image etc etc....

I saw the pic that you are referring too, and i think it's more a case of Sampson turning herself more side-on for the shot than a case of blatant photoshopping.

She is a curvy girl, and when photographed up against the other stick insects she looks huge.

I actually like her fuller-figure.... she is an extremely attractive, intelligent woman who just happens to love rugby league.

3ddd00db216a06d3db94fde29906fe1c.jpg

That's not what happened. You said she is only there because she's female. Others argued that she is good at her job. She is good at her job and people find her attractive. She's known for two things.

I saw the pic that you are referring too, and i think it's more a case of Sampson turning herself more side-on for the shot than a case of blatant photoshopping.

She is a curvy girl, and when photographed up against the other stick insects she looks huge.

I actually like her fuller-figure.... she is an extremely attractive, intelligent woman who just happens to love rugby league.

If anyone is ripping on her looks in that shot they're tripping. She was a looker before and still looks great with a fuller figure.

Not sure if she was the massive coup for Fox as some proposed but I rate what she brings to a commentary team.

Doesn't have the footy brain of some of the guys but has a good knowledge of the game in a general sense, and is far more articulate and impartial than some of her peers.

Did well to balance out the more parochial elements at 9. She will be missed.

Obviously that's not the photo....just thought I'd make that clear.

That's not what happened. You said she is only there because she's female. Others argued that she is good at her job. She is good at her job and people find her attractive. She's known for two things.
No, go back and check. I did say that she was there for the reason I wrote, not just because she was female butbto get women and their money into the game. I also said I don't and didn't need a woman to talk or tell me about mens rugby league. I would be happy with women talking about womens rugby league. I can just picture it, three men as main hosts with a rotation of another two men talking about womens rugby league. No female hosts, just men. Right.

My most reviled is Mark Gasnier. Can someone PLEASE tell him it's "those players"not "them players"

If you want to play a drinking game, take a shot every time he has a different pronunciation of Trent Hodkinson.

"Hodgkinson"
"Hodgkingson"
"Hodkingson"

No, go back and check. I did say that she was there for the reason I wrote, not just because she was female butbto get women and their money into the game. I also said I don't and didn't need a woman to talk or tell me about mens rugby league. I would be happy with women talking about womens rugby league. I can just picture it, three men as main hosts with a rotation of another two men talking about womens rugby league. No female hosts, just men. Right.

But that's just like, your opinion, man.

It's also the opinion of others that she is a talented and knowledgeable member of the commentary team. And I've heard many men commentating for women's sports, even in Rugby League.

Let's not forget that in the modern era of society women are occupying many jobs that were previously only held by men.

Is it possible that you're wrong?

But that's just like, your opinion, man.

It's also the opinion of others that she is a talented and knowledgeable member of the commentary team. And I've heard many men commentating for women's sports, even in Rugby League.

Let's not forget that in the modern era of society women are occupying many jobs that were previously only held by men.

Is it possible that you're wrong?
It's equally possible that there will never be a five man rotation commenting on womens rugby league or that I'm absolutely right and she along with all the ladies are there as an appeasement to women. It's possible the facts that she is knowledgeable and talented may be incidental and the primary and original purpose for having her on there, like the other ladies is to mollify women, let them into the boys cubbyhouse and tap into their wealth

Might be worth considering I may have a point. Yes, it's possible it could be simply because she is knowledgeable and talented but if you wish to make that case you have to use it as the reason for the plethora of women now wowing us with their valuable insights and deep knowledge.

It's equally possible that there will never be a five man rotation commenting on womens rugby league or that I'm absolutely right and she along with all the ladies are there as an appeasement to women. It's possible the facts that she is knowledgeable and talented may be incidental and the primary and original purpose for having her on there, like the other ladies is to mollify women, let them into the boys cubbyhouse and tap into their wealth

Might be worth considering I may have a point. Yes, it's possible it could be simply because she is knowledgeable and talented but if you wish to make that case you have to use it as the reason for the plethora of women now wowing us with their valuable insights and deep knowledge.
Cool, so you're wrong. Cheers.

Unread

Active Now

• Manifesto
  • Morkel
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Dee
  • The True King
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.