Gagai released!!!!!

Certainly explains the decision to go with Copley, who is a centre only. Our outside back depth will be tested a little next year, but Kahu is a gun who hopefully comes back well, whilst Maranta more than capable.

Copley is doing a pretty good impersonation of a winger considering he's a "Centre only". I agree centre is his best position, but he's a more than capable winger too.

this is true.

its taken hunt til now to really find his feet, but he's been one of gold coasts best over the last couple of weeks.

well now, if that be true, it tells you a whole lot about gold coast's roster

Sounds like Gagai could go to a union side now.

Sounds like Gagai could go to a union side now.

Makes sense. He has a background in yawnion. And it's a good way to get back into the elite and then come back to league when an offer comes along (like Will Chambers did).

Copely was clearly an inferior choice on the wing to Gagai. The Reds have unbelievable outside back depth, he wouldn't get near the bench in their current squad. Though might be a nice pick up if they're planning on losing a few with the salary cap looming.

Copely was clearly an inferior choice on the wing to Gagai.

If you're looking solely at skill, yes. Clearly that wasn't the case. Because Hook is actually a coach.

If you're looking solely at skill, yes. Clearly that wasn't the case. Because Hook is actually a coach.

Maybe he should coach some skill into Copley then, cause he's been pretty useless since the moment he came into first grade.

I understand why they've done it but **** me, why do they persist with Copley? Can anyone ever remember a game where he's stood out for the right reasons?

This Copley shit is getting ridiculous. It isn't even reasonable at all IMO. :shake:

What do you mean? The criticism of Copley? Fancy someone having an opinion hey. Or multiple people.

ive been a big critic of copley (not necessarily on here) but theres been little to hate on him for over the last 5 or 6 rounds.

Apart from him bombing tries

I think that happened 6 weeks ago didn't it? :P That was a shocker, but he's been solid at worst since then. I'd say he's actually done a very good job on the wing in recent weeks. I can't recall any clangers, or bad reads in defence. Sure, he doesn't do anything spectacular like Yow Yeh did, or Gagai was capable of, but he's very reliable and forming a good combination with Jack Reed.

I think the hate on him is ignorance.

I don't wish anything bad on the guy, I just don't see that he offers very much, and as I said, I can't remember anything outstanding he's ever done, or a performance where you've gone, ok, I can see what the coaching staff see in him now.

I want him to do well, because then I won't have a gripe, but hey, runs on the board and all that jazz.

Yeah, but what other options do the Broncos have? Given that Gagai was clearly unstable, Yow Yeh's injured, Kahu's injured, you're starting to look at the NYC and Q Cup guys - Whitchurch, Georgetown, Togia, Lolohea, English, Maranta, Dan Wallace...none of those names really strikes me as being a standout above Copley.

Ideally I'd like to see Copley (& Hunt too) spend some time in QCup in their ideal positions so they can iron out their kinks & ready themselves for an eventual recall. However, it just isn't possible, especially with our current roster.

But I'm sick of the Copley bagging. It isn't as prevalent on here but on LU you'd swear he's the source of all our problems and Gagai's inclusion would make us invincible. News flash: Even before Gagai was released for his ill discipline he was never THAT great a winger. He made a name for himself at fullback where he wasn't called onto do so much work out of dummy half & could inject himself when he wanted to. His dummy half work last year was terrible & that's what kept him out. A lot of people point to Gagai being a 2 time NYC player as a hallmark of greatness but fail to remember Copley scored something like 17 tries in his last 9 games.

Look, I think the thing about Gagai is, yes, he was a standout player in NYC but that doesn't always translate into FG, Copley is actually a great example of this, thus far.

But, when Gagai did get a run for us, there were at least glimpses of the talent that people are evidently so brainwashed by.

I think an example was against Melbourne, where he took a bomb in the corner and scored with all of about 30cm of room to move in, the fact he was able to do all this, I guess, gave a glimpse of what he could do if shown the faith.

Now agreed, it's only one try, but have you ever seen, or could you ever see Copley doing the same? Sometimes he struggles to catch a flat ball with room to move. That's probably what bothers people a little bit, Copley sometimes struggles with the basics, let alone seeing him pull out a moment of absolute flair.

Again, I don't blame the Broncos for their stance on Gagai, but you can't help but be a little disappointed for how it's panned out, both for the kid himself and the club.

As for alternatives, I don't know, that's why they pay Griffin, and that's why I pay money to the club, to voice my opinion without the risk/reward element.

We did bag Boyd a lot in a similar vein to Copley

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.