Game 3 Spoilers

And they say NRL players don't fly in the air like gAyFL players. That was awesome. Shame for Qld that it wasn't a try but either way, it will be on the highlight reel for years to come.

Thurston gets off easy IMO.

QUEENSLAND halfback Johnathan Thurston has accepted an early guilty plea to a dangerous conduct charge from Wednesday night's State of Origin loss to NSW.

Thurston copped a grade one charge for lashing out with his boot attempting to prevent David Williams scoring a first-half try in the Blues' 28-16 win at Suncorp Stadium.

He took the early guilty plea, which tallied 75 demerit points, allowing him to be available for the Cowboys' NRL clash with Wests Tigers this weekend.
Hate the consistency in this sport. Nathan Merritt got charged 125 points or 1 game earlier in the year and he didn't even connect with the head.

Just got back from the game. Disappointing, but after the way we rallied behind price at the end, it felt like a win for some reason.

Firstly, i think everyone is being way too harsh on slater. Yeah he fucked up a few times, one even leading to a try, but ffs look at those try savers he pulled off on watmough and hayne! Hunt wouldnt have got near them, nor would most fullbacks. Those 2 tackles were brilliant. Also, not many players couldved scored the try he did. The lot of u only see the bad things he does. He made loads of mistakes but so did Lockyer and smith.

Inglis proved tonight he is hands down the best player in the game right now. How many line breaks did he make? 4 or 5 i would guess. Williams couldnt get near him, its a shame we didnt have the right support play of we couldve won purely on the back of inglis. He will go down in history as one of the games best ever centres and players.

I think lots of ppl are also being harsh on boyd. He hasnt let QLD down. That break he made tonight beating hayne twice, was brilliant and hes safe as a house once the ball is kicked. That said, Tonga was orsm as well.

I must admit, i dont like hodges, but after tonight i have regained a massive amount of respect for him. In todays game, we dont see a player show his emotions that much, especially anger, but the way Hodges told NSW to come and take him on was spine tingling. The way he stood up for his mates was brilliant. Cant believe Creagh pushed him and ran away. What a pussy.

I am the biggest crocker fan, as many of u may know, but his showings in the last 2 games have now easily dislodged him as my favourite player. He used to be known for handling errors and penalties, but now the stupid bastard cant tackle and was responsible for most of watmoughs breaks. Costigan was orsm when he came on, had heaps of mongrel, and should take crockers place from now on.

On to parts of the game. I think Williams try was a knock on, and Thurston was only playing what he saw, which was a loose ball. It was a poor play by him, but as im sure many of u would agree, it looked like williams lost it. Not worthy of an 8 point try, especially since it occurred after he 'grounded it'. Bullshit call.

There were **** loads of bad calls on us tonight, especially a shephard on thaiday when wing faked to go one way then the other but used the play the ball player as a shield. Also, NSW held us down an eternity. NSW were the better team, but if some of those calls had been made, and the way inglis was playing, anything couldve happened.

The turning point really was when tonga dropped it over the line... well i say dropped, but it looked like gidley led with the knees to dislodge the ball, but hey, cant mention that can we.if we score then, we probably win, but it wasnt to be. QLD was orsm when we held the ball, but sadly we barely ever made it to 5th tackle.

Smith kicking the ball with a minute left to give QLD one last chance to smash NSW was one of the best things ive seen in origin. The passion the boys showed was orsm, pity it wasnt on show all match.

In the end, nsw get the win, but suck shit, we got the trophy, 4 years of winning and nothing can take that away

^
Well said mate!
Queenslanders should rally up for this one. I watched it with a few queenslander mates and we were all standing and applauding what Justin did last night... unbelievable. Wow.

Blues were the better team tonight. They were good.

I must say next year will be very, VERY tough. We have to win game 1 to give ourselves a chance. NSW should take next year or the year after IMO. It's only a matter of time - but tonight has just confirmed the hatred again. I wanted to get out there and kill a blue!!! I would LOVE 5 years in a row to really rub it in. Gus has just come out and said NSW gifted us four in a row - TURN IT UP! This is why we hate the effin BLUES!!!

Next year can't come soon enough for BOTH states.

For the love of God, I wish they would change the scheduling back to 1 week apart so the teams don't chop and change! Do you think they ever will?

Disappointing game because losing was such an anti-climax to our orsm 4 series wins in a row. However, the ending was gold though haha.

RE: Billy Slater, I think he's just one of those players that either has an awesome game or a really crappy one. He tends to self-destruct at times.

PS. How awesome was it when Sammy got sin-binned? The crowd went nuts!

PPS. Gay Waterhouse and Brett Shite are grubs. Hell, the whole NSW team were.

First time ive ever seen a standing ovation and high fives from teammates for a sin bin thats for sure haha

Last time I remember a reaction like that over a sin bin was with Petero. I forgot what Broncos game it was, but that was brilliant!

Ordinary football match ruined by a referee who tried way to hard to imitate Bill Harrigan when he should have refereed the game properly. These refs let both sides get away with too much too early and it resulted in both teams (particularly NSW) stepping over the line all night credit to them I guess for exploiting such crap officiating. Williams' try was a terrible call on both fronts and I think JT was going for a loose ball in the heat of the moment to escape a ban is fair. I also don't understand how Gidley can use a knee to save a try but you can't use a foot? All in all the I the mistakes and refereeing ruined the match for me and the last 2 minutes were perfect proof that they had no control of the match at all.

KrispyKris said:
Last time I remember a reaction like that over a sin bin was with Petero. I forgot what Broncos game it was, but that was brilliant!

It was against the Tigers.

NSW should consider themselves lucky, our 1,6,7 and 9 were ordinary last night and they still only won by 12.

If we had played solid and completed sets then we probably could have won IMO.

The Gymp said:
Ordinary football match ruined by a referee who tried way to hard to imitate Bill Harrigan when he should have refereed the game properly. These refs let both sides get away with too much too early and it resulted in both teams (particularly NSW) stepping over the line all night credit to them I guess for exploiting such crap officiating. Williams' try was a terrible call on both fronts and I think JT was going for a loose ball in the heat of the moment to escape a ban is fair. I also don't understand how Gidley can use a knee to save a try but you can't use a foot? All in all the I the mistakes and refereeing ruined the match for me and the last 2 minutes were perfect proof that they had no control of the match at all.

Agreed. Archer was pathetic in controlling the game. He let niggly things get away and this snowballed and boiled over.

Foordy said:
Dexter said:
1 good thing from tonight is NSW are committed to that side for next year to start the series and if we have our full side we will still beat them.

everyone knows that no matter how good Kimmorley and Barrett are playing they wont be considered for game 1 next year

You're probably right, but if the selectors had any brains, if they are still in form come origin time next year, they should be picked. Without them there tonight, I doubt NSW wins. A quality set of halves with decent kickign games was what NSW missed in the first 2 games. If they'd picked them from the start, I think this series would have been a lot different. NSW got themsleves back in to positions to win in the first 2 games, btu they had no one there with experience to guide them how to win.

QUEENSLANDER said:
There were **** loads of bad calls on us tonight, especially a shephard on thaiday when wing faked to go one way then the other but used the play the ball player as a shield. Also, NSW held us down an eternity. NSW were the better team, but if some of those calls had been made, and the way inglis was playing, anything couldve happened.

The entire Milton Road end of the ground saw that shepard. I was looking right down on it from the second tier but for some reason two referees and two touchies missed it. Anyway it wasn't game changing, just frustrating that something so obvious went unnoticed.

In terms of the game NSW were clearly the better side and QLD were always playing catch up. We missed Civo a lot last night. The ruck defence was abysmal and we dropped too much football. Not to mention the silly passes we threw gifting possession to the Blues. We were made to pay for school boy errors and we deserved it.

The last 2 minutes of the game was very memorable and I've got a feeling they'll talk about the bomb and chase similar to other famous Origin incidents. It was a different type of crowd reaction to years gone by. There really was vitriol hanging in the air. Oh and congrats to the yobs who threw shit on the field. QLD's worked hard to shake it's backward tag and stupid behaviour like that only makes it more difficult to shake the stereotype. If you were trying to copy the cans incident from the late 80s you fell way short. LAMEOS. :roll:

It was great to see so much of the crowd stick around for the victory lap. The reception really was fantastic.

Coxy said:
I didn't notice Costigan much to be honest, and then he gets into the backline at a crucial time and bombs it. He's not Origin standard

I think you just don't want to admit he's a reasonable player cause then you can't use your cost-a-game joke. [icon_lol1.

He didn't get much game time tonight, but he put on some very solid taclkes in the short time he was one, which is his primary role.

I think NSW completey dominated QLD tonight, but it just goes to show how good the QLD team is that they were still in the hunt up until the last 5 minutes. I think QLD bombed a lot of chances late-ish in the game when they were running done the sidelines. They should have looked to pass or run back in field rather than trying to make the miracle play and run around the defence, only to be tackled over the side line.

Congrats to NSW though. They were simply the better team on the night and deserved to win. It's funny how some on here can't admit that though and want to blame the refs.

Agree 100% with QLDer!

The way the blues are going on you would think they won the series and haven't been dominated for 4 years, gifted my fat arse! They once again had the 50/50 calls go their way, including not referring Smiths no try to the video ref, the shepherd, White's hit on Thurston after he kicked the ball yet they somehow land an 8 point penalty which shouldn't have been. Anyway we only lost by 12, could have been a win if Hodges and Tonga had scored!

Pfft, Creagh already had an Australian jersey. He's the best wide running back rower in the game by far. He and Hayne would still be the only players who'd make the 13 for Australia though IMO.

Coxy said:
Pfft, Creagh already had an Australian jersey. He's the best wide running back rower in the game by far. He and Hayne would still be the only players who'd make the 13 for Australia though IMO.

Hayne in for Boyd?

I'd have Watmough there too

I know that this may be considered to be blasphemy, but do you think it might be time for Lockyer to put the cue in the rack as far as SOO is concerned. He is starting to look as though he is off the pace, and I just can't see that is going to change for the better in 12 months time, if anything, I would expect the change to occur in the other direction. Would Qld be better served by having Prince and Thurston in the halves next year. Re Slater, what about Boyd at fullback with Tonga in the three quarter line as wing or centre?

**** off with this slater stuff. He saved 2 certain tries and scored one himself.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.