Game II Queensland Origin Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash

NRL Captain
Brisbane
Kafusi...2 tries ? Last week 1 ?
I think he could absolutely come in for Guerra. His attacking combination with Slater and Cronk has come on in leaps and bounds over the past month or so. I think he was 18th man for one of the games last year.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Brent Tate likes him , wants him in .
Him, @Huge and me three. He's played himself into maroon I reckon. His been going great guns for a while now, has stepped up to show he wants it of late and has an established combo with at least two, likely three if the media has their way, members of the spine already.

My team is pretty set in my mind with only one or two spots I'm unsure of on the bench.

1. Slater (I think we should move on as I've said but he will be picked, we all know it) (I would actually take a punt on Holmes here)
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Boyd
6. Thurston (Milf if JT isn't fit)
7. Cronk
8. Napa
9. Smith (c)
10. Wallace
11. Kaufusi
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Munster (he just has to be in the side)
15. Papalii
16. Thaiday
17. Hess (Look I've ummed and ahhed about this spot and I still don't think he's ready but I'm pretty sure he'll be picked. I guess if you have Papa and Sam on the bench, you've got plenty of experience around him when he comes on. The problem with this bench is they are all backrowers but it is more balanced than game one to provide impact and we have jack all props aside from the 8, 10 and 13 anyway) (I still personally want to pick Sims as I think he is exactly what we need from the bench as a tag team with Napa but he has to play like he wants it tonight or he's out)

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Credit where it's due, I hadn't heard much on Kaufusi before @Huge threw his name in the ring. Looks to be on the money.

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
He was 18th man in one of the origin games last year.

I remember being completely wtf about it as I hadn't heard of him before.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
Him, @Huge and me three. He's played himself into maroon I reckon. His been going great guns for a while now, has stepped up to show he wants it of late and has an established combo with at least two, likely three if the media has their way, members of the spine already.

My team is pretty set in my mind with only one or two spots I'm unsure of on the bench.

1. Slater (I think we should move on as I've said but he will be picked, we all know it) (I would actually take a punt on Holmes here)
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Boyd
7. Cronk
8. Napa
9. Smith (c)
10. Wallace
11. Kaufusi
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

15. Papalii
16. Thaiday
17. Hess (Look I've ummed and ahhed about this spot and I still don't think he's ready but I'm pretty sure he'll be picked. I guess if you have Papa and Sam on the bench, you've got plenty of experience around him when he comes on. The problem with this bench is they are all backrowers but it is more balanced than game one to provide impact and we have jack all props aside from the 8, 10 and 13 anyway) (I still personally want to pick Sims as I think he is exactly what we need from the bench as a tag team with Napa but he has to play like he wants it tonight or he's out)
I like Holmes but he isn't a fullback. He isn't even the best fullback at the sharks.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
Bit risky to play origin if he doesn't play for the cowboys this weekend. He'll be massively under done but I guess you just have to back his experience
There is only like two players in that team you would give an exception to with no game time. Thurston and Smith.

Alec

International Rep

2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Boyd
7. Cronk
8. Napa
9. Smith (c)
10. Wallace
11. Kaufusi
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

15. Papalii
16. Thaiday
Why move Papalii away from the 2nd row? He was probably our best forward in game 1, and arguably in the top 2 or 3 second rowers in the game.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Why move Papalii away from the 2nd row? He was probably our best forward in game 1, and arguably in the top 2 or 3 second rowers in the game.
Purely for balance. Qld was doing well in the first 20 minutes of game one and then the bench came on and NSW pulled away comfortably.

Papalii is good enough to start obviously but I think him off the bench actually helps to balance out this side's glaring weaknesses in the forward pack.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
I would like to see

1 Slater
2 Boyd
3 Gagai/ Munster
4 Chambers
5 Oates/ Gagai
6 Thurston
7 Cronk
8 Napa
9 Smith
10 Papa
11 Cooper
12 Gillett
13 McGuire

14 Morgan
15 Thaiday
16 Wallace
17 Hess

Id love to see Munster at left centre but we have so many options, and all played well, that it is hard to punt someone. Oates would be the one to miss out IMO .
Replacing Morgan with Munster doesnt add anything but Munster at left centre improves our D adds to combos and allows Chambers to go to right centre where he belongs.

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
G`day Rex

Yep and I stand by what I said . Save the pain . Move on a year earlier . He`s not getting any younger .
Yeahh....nahh.

He would be the last player you'd want to move on a year (possibly 2 or 3 years in Cam's case) early.

Might be different if there was someone else demanding selection......but there's not.

Friend's alright as a backup.

McCullough isn't SOO standard, fullstop.

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
Yeahh....nahh.

He would be the last player you'd want to move on a year (possibly 2 or 3 years in Cam's case) early.

Might be different if there was someone else demanding selection......but there's not.

I would have said the same about Peats a fortnight ago.

JayPee

QCup Player
I don't want to here about Holmes as a fullback option either like I have in a few places. He is flashy and can be brilliant but he struggles majorly on the other side of the ball. Anybody see his positioning last night when Chambers put a kick down the left and he casually jogged over and just basically watched as Carr jumped on it. He was lucky he bottled it. Would never see that with Slater or Boyd. On the Boyd/Slater decision. I have no problem with whichever way they go. Boyd is alot safer and doesn't make the errors slater does however Slater has returned with some extra zip. He just looks quicker and more dangerous before he got injured. I think he can create something out of nothing more than Boyd. That move he put on to put Kaufusi away was classy. If we don't fix the forward situation I don't think it matters who we pick at fullback. Scoring points and creating opportunities was not a problem in game 1. It was going with their forward pack that stuffed as in the back end.

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
I don't want to here about Holmes as a fullback option either like I have in a few places. He is flashy and can be brilliant but he struggles majorly on the other side of the ball. Anybody see his positioning last night when Chambers put a kick down the left and he casually jogged over and just basically watched as Carr jumped on it. He was lucky he bottled it. Would never see that with Slater or Boyd. On the Boyd/Slater decision. I have no problem with whichever way they go. Boyd is alot safer and doesn't make the errors slater does however Slater has returned with some extra zip. He just looks quicker and more dangerous before he got injured. I think he can create something out of nothing more than Boyd. That move he put on to put Kaufusi away was classy. If we don't fix the forward situation I don't think it matters who we pick at fullback. Scoring points and creating opportunities was not a problem in game 1. It was going with their forward pack that stuffed as in the back end.
Watched the game last night. Storm fan confirmed.

Kidding.

Holmes is an excellent winger and a middle of the pack fullback so agree.

Big Del

QCup Player
Yeahh....nahh.

You realise he`s about to turn 34 ?

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
You realise he`s about to turn 34 ?
Yes.

With the lack of injuries he has had throughout his career and the fact he is still playing very good footy at the highest standard, I thinks it's as I said, a "possibility"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYNNUMMANLYBRONCO

Twitter