Game III teams

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
Winterstein would do a job on the wing, and probably better than Lee or Gagai, if experience is the only metric for selection. I wouldn't take Lee at the Broncos if Canberra gave him to us for free.

Porthoz

International Captain
I dont think Lee has been shit for 4 years. I just dont think his game has kicked on as much as it should have and based on that, hes an generic / ordinary winger these days. Would I feel safer with him on the wing than Oates? Probably. He is a winger, and as such is more adept to fielding kicks, being in the right place for the end of a backline movement etc than Oates is at this stage of his career. I hope it doesnt come to this though!! I would much prefer holmes before either of them.

Again, the question you need to ask yourself is, "Would a fan from any other club other than the broncos think Oates is ahead in the pecking order over Lee?" (or holmes for that matter). I honestly doubt many fans from other clubs even know who oates is. Obviously that doesnt mean hes bad etc, but it does mean hes not exactly yelling out "pick me". If barely anyone else would pick him, yet broncos fans would, its the definition of bias. That's all I'm saying.
That bold bit is truly mind boggling imo.

Corey Oates has played 42 NRL games in the last 3 years (not exactly a rookie), most of them (26) from the bench as a backrower, and 16 as a starter in the 3/4 line.
In those 16 starts, he showed great speed, positioning and finishing ability scoring 12 tries, as well as grunt, power and hard hitting defense. Also, unless memory betrays me, was never looked upon as a defensive liability in any of those games.

Any RL fan worth its grain, including the greenhouse sane ones, should know Corey Oates and prefer him to Lee, especially in the Origin arena, where any mistake is crucial.

As a RL fan, I actually do know Valentine Holmes, despite him being a rookie with far lesser games (18) and time in the NRL than Oates.
He appears to be a great talent, and I hope he goes on to deliver on his promise. Although he is still green, he definitely should be ahead of Lee as well. I probably would prefer Oates, as he offers more assurances at this stage imo, but wouldn't be shocked to see Valentine as 18th man.

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Winterstein would do a job on the wing, and probably better than Lee or Gagai, if experience is the only metric for selection. I wouldn't take Lee at the Broncos if Canberra gave him to us for free.
Dont believe Winterstein is eligible for QLD.

If you would honestly feel safer with Lee on the wing than Oates, then there is no more discussion to be had here. You obviously have watched neither of them play over the last 6 months if you think that.

I think most fans from most clubs know who Oates is, I actually struggle to think of any group of fans that wouldn't know who he is. Even if people only watch the footy shows they would know who he is because they are always fucking talking about him as "the next gene miles" or "that guy that sent Gagai into orbit".

Just because you say something doesn't make it the case
I have seen just about every single game of NRL this year. I have seen both players play, and as i said, i dont rate Lee above any other generic winger. Oates will be a better player than he is, sure, but right now if i had to pick a winger, in a decider, there is no fucking way i would pick a player that has only played a handful of games on the wing. You would be crazy to pick oates right now.

I like how easily Kahu scored his try against the Raiders.

Open run to the try line because Lee.
Did you like how easily Gagai tore up the broncos left edge which features kahu and oates? Pretty sure gagai carried the 2 of them over the line for his try. You could pick highlights and lowlights for each player to suit an argument.

We arent going to agree on the oates thing, but just remember, u are on a broncos forum where like it or not, your bias does effect your opinion. As it does with us all. A broncos fan is always more likely to think a player from their club is better than so and so from another club. Its human nature. Doesnt mean it should happen

Last edited:

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
I can't believe you guys are getting this hung up and accusatory over an 18th man selection.

Oates will play Origin at some stage and he's already getting talked up by the media who are usually one or two steps behind hardcore fans.

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
That bold bit is truly mind boggling imo.

Corey Oates has played 42 NRL games in the last 3 years (not exactly a rookie), most of them (26) from the bench as a backrower, and 16 as a starter in the 3/4 line.
In those 16 starts, he showed great speed, positioning and finishing ability scoring 12 tries, as well as grunt, power and hard hitting defense. Also, unless memory betrays me, was never looked upon as a defensive liability in any of those games.

Any RL fan worth its grain, including the greenhouse sane ones, should know Corey Oates and prefer him to Lee, especially in the Origin arena, where any mistake is crucial.

As a RL fan, I actually do know Valentine Holmes, despite him being a rookie with far lesser games (18) and time in the NRL than Oates.
He appears to be a great talent, and I hope he goes on to deliver on his promise. Although he is still green, he definitely should be ahead of Lee as well. I probably would prefer Oates, as he offers more assurances at this stage imo, but wouldn't be shocked to see Valentine as 18th man.
You're welcome to your own opinion, just as I am mine. 16 starts in the backline vs 4 years experience in the backline is just too much to overlook if we were to pick a player for a decider. Remember adam mogg? Very experienced player that barely anyone, including myself, really rated at the time. Yet he delivered a fantastic performance. Sometimes experience is a bit safer than a better player who is still relatively green.

If you find that "mind boggling" then I cant help u!

I think Holmes wouldve been 18th man this week if he had a bye this week

Last edited:

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
I can't believe you guys are getting this hung up and accusatory over an 18th man selection.

Oates will play Origin at some stage and he's already getting talked up by the media who are usually one or two steps behind hardcore fans.
No, I'm not getting hung up on an 18th man selection.

I am getting hung up on someone claiming that we are bias and then proceeding to tell us all the Edrick Lee is more ready for origin than Corey Oates.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Who cares?

It's the 18th man position, anyone could fill that role and it doesn't really mean anything.

Didn't people learn from Kennedy?

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
No, I'm not getting hung up on an 18th man selection.

I am getting hung up on someone claiming that we are bias and then proceeding to tell us all the Edrick Lee is more ready for origin than Corey Oates.
Everyone said the same about Adam Mogg. There were heaps of younger, more exciting prospects. Experience sometimes wins out. Thats all i am judging my decision on. Deal with it.

Sure, if i was starting an NRL club and i could take Oates or Lee, i would take Oates in a heartbeat! He has an amazing future ahead of him. But if I needed to win 1 single game, right now, id just take the guy that has been playing there for years and rely on his experience to get the win.

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Who cares?

It's the 18th man position, anyone could fill that role and it doesn't really mean anything.

Didn't people learn from Kennedy?
its not about 18th man anymore, its about why oates is the best winger available to QLD all of a sudden

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
its not about 18th man anymore, its about why oates is the best winger available to QLD all of a sudden
No it's not even about that. In fact no one whatsoever has said that. It's about your constant fucking assertion that any broncos fan that has anything decent to say about a bronco is biased. It's also about you always go on about your right to your opinion and everyone has to 'deal with it' yet if they have a different opinion to you they are biased, or 'you can't help them'.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
Has Lachlan Maranta played more games than Edrick Lee? He's also a thousand times more safe. He should be 18th man.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
I actually saw something before game 1 about who the team should be based on stats and Maranta was on the wing.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
This is all just mountain out of mole-hill talk.

The real news is that Cooper Cronk is back and the Maroons have come up with the perfect replacement for McGuire in Papalii who will be a weapon just like he was for the Kangaroos in the Four Nations.

Gagai's selection was logical, hopefully he turns it on at Suncorp and doesn't play like Hodges did on debut. Both share a lot in common as players.

Laurie hit copy and paste, which really was the highlight of his selection process but I hope somebody reminds him that Farah will most likely miss the game.

Porthoz

International Captain
You're welcome to your own opinion, just as I am mine. 16 starts in the backline vs 4 years experience in the backline is just too much to overlook if we were to pick a player for a decider. Remember adam mogg? Very experienced player that barely anyone, including myself, really rated at the time. Yet he delivered a fantastic performance. Sometimes experience is a bit safer than a better player who is still relatively green.

If you find that "mind boggling" then I cant help u!

I think Holmes wouldve been 18th man this week if he had a bye this week
Are you for real? Now you're just grasping at straws.

Edrick Lee has played 38 games in 4 years of NRL, Oates has played 42 in 3 years.
The only difference is that Lee practically played all of them on the wing (about only 10 of which were actually good), while Oates only played 16 there.

Unfortunately, QLd are not exactly flush on wingers, and most of the eligible ones are at the Broncos, but regardless of that, Edrick would be one of my last choices.
Besides Holmes, Gagai and Chambers, I would pretty much take the whole backline corps of eligible players at the Broncos (Kahu, Maranta, Oates and even Vidot, who btw, is more experienced than Lee) ahead of him. In fact, I think the only Qld winger I wouldn't use ahead of him, is O'Neill.

Porthoz

International Captain
This is all just mountain out of mole-hill talk.

The real news is that Cooper Cronk is back and the Maroons have come up with the perfect replacement for McGuire in Papalii who will be a weapon just like he was for the Kangaroos in the Four Nations.

Gagai's selection was logical, hopefully he turns it on at Suncorp and doesn't play like Hodges did on debut. Both share a lot in common as players.

Laurie hit copy and paste, which really was the highlight of his selection process but I hope somebody reminds him that Farah will most likely miss the game.
More than likely going for the TBA variant, so that Ennis can play...

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
No it's not even about that. In fact no one whatsoever has said that. It's about your constant fucking assertion that any broncos fan that has anything decent to say about a bronco is biased. It's also about you always go on about your right to your opinion and everyone has to 'deal with it' yet if they have a different opinion to you they are biased, or 'you can't help them'.
Everyone is biased to some degree. I am. You are. Everyone is, whether they like it or not. Its not a conscious thing, we dont even realise we are doing it. You are a very biased poster, just like i am, but at least i am willing to admit it. In fact, you are one of the most biased posters on here in my opinion (which may be biased :P ).

I only fight fire with fire too buddy. People tell me my choices are "mind boggling" or that i "couldnt have watched a game in 6 months" or whatever, that's clearly a passive aggressive thing to say, just like "i cant help you" or "deal with it". Theres no difference in how I argue my point of view and those that argue against me.

When it comes to QLD, i want the best team possible. I dont have an NRL club to support, so i have no point in arguing for a player from "my team" to make it in, unlike yourself. For arguments sake though, if Maranta was being tossed up as an option instead of lee, i would go for the maranta option. hes experience, safe and has shown he can handle the wing position. I am not against selecting broncos, i am against picking a player with less than 20 games in a position for a deciding state of origin match. My bias is for QLD, not the broncos

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Are you for real? Now you're just grasping at straws.

Edrick Lee has played 38 games in 4 years of NRL, Oates has played 42 in 3 years.
The only difference is that Lee practically played all of them on the wing (about only 10 of which were actually good), while Oates only played 16 there.

Unfortunately, QLd are not exactly flush on wingers, and most of the eligible ones are at the Broncos, but regardless of that, Edrick would be one of my last choices.
Besides Holmes, Gagai and Chambers, I would pretty much take the whole backline corps of eligible players at the Broncos (Kahu, Maranta, Oates and even Vidot, who btw, is more experienced than Lee) ahead of him. In fact, I think the only Qld winger I wouldn't use ahead of him, is O'Neill.
FWIW I would take Maranta and Vidot over Lee too for a decider. Maranta is a good, safe option and vidot, while his handling can let him down, would at least make good metres coming out of our own end.

I am not saying Lee is the best option we have, im just saying i would take him over Oates, for a decider, at this stage of their career. I dont see why that is such a bad thing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter