Game III teams

11061977_860450127341782_2769366851160757136_n.jpg

*giggle*

So am I. Lillyman (age 31 and 104kgs) over Napa (22 and 109 kgs - and who knows how to hit hard)

Really? Yes, I am worried.

Don't worry . This is Lillyman's last game and he knows it. He will put everything into this game and have a blinder . Mal knows what he is doing

Edrick Lee is a favour from Mal to Ricky for some reason, obviously.

I've always got the feeling Mal just uses the 18th man as a way to bring a younger inexperienced player in, who may play for QLD in the future, so they get a feel for how origin works. Hence the reason 18th man always seems to be a different player each game. I've always thought if one of the 1-17 got ruled out with an injury, they'd most likely be replaced with someone other than the 18th man.

Last edited:
I've always got the feeling Mal just uses the 18th man as a way to bring a younger inexperienced player in, who may play for QLD in the future, so they get a feel for how origin works. Hence the reason 18th man always seems to be a different player each game. I've always thought if one of the 1-17 got ruled out with an injury, they'd most likely be replaced with someone other than the 18th man.

Yeah all fair points and you would like to think so but outside of this side, who else would be bought in? And why not give Oates the call up, he's our future!!

It would also make a huge difference that Lee has the bye this weekend. When there are no actual injury concerns, rep teams like to call in someone for experience (as you said), but they wont disrupt an NRL teams preparation just for that. Gagai was 18th man when newcastle were playing, but that was when we had injury concerns. This week, with no injury concerns Mal would just want to bring in someone on a bye. It wouldve come down to Lee or Holmes imo. IMO, Oates is not as close as this board thinks, thats just pure bias.

It would also make a huge difference that Lee has the bye this weekend. When there are no actual injury concerns, rep teams like to call in someone for experience (as you said), but they wont disrupt an NRL teams preparation just for that. Gagai was 18th man when newcastle were playing, but that was when we had injury concerns. This week, with no injury concerns Mal would just want to bring in someone on a bye. It wouldve come down to Lee or Holmes imo. IMO, Oates is not as close as this board thinks, thats just pure bias.

If it is pure bias please tell me how Holmes and Lee are more ready for origin than Oates, because I can't see it so would love for you to enlighten me.

I think a few of our best are looking a bit tired in their last few club games , namely Cameron Smith and Corey Parker. We can only hope Cronk is definitely right to go. They will be facing younger players at their peak. Still we are in with a great chance especially at Suncorp. I fear our home ground advantage will be negated by the blues supporters in the video refs box.

If it is pure bias please tell me how Holmes and Lee are more ready for origin than Oates, because I can't see it so would love for you to enlighten me.

Well for one, they are both actual backs, not backrowers filling in on the wing.
Lee has 4 seasons of playing wing / centre in the NRL under his belt.
Oates cant even keep copley, maranta and vidot out of the team to secure a wing spot. He is a bench player right now filling in where we need him. If Mal wanted another utility, maybe he would look Oates' way after Hunt, Seggy, Friend and DCE.

You're entitled to think he deserves a chance, but the best way to look at it would be :

Do you think if you asked a group of fans, from any other clubs in the nrl to pick a player for a spot in the qld team (not from their own team), i dont think many, if any, would pick Oates. If that is the case then its a broncos bias that leads you to want him selected.

Last edited:
Well for one, they are both actual backs, not backrowers filling in on the wing.
Lee has 4 seasons of playing wing / centre in the NRL under his belt.
Oates cant even keep copley, maranta and vidot out of the team to secure a wing spot. He is a bench player right now filling in where we need him. If Mal wanted another utility, maybe he would look Oates' way after Hunt, Seggy, Friend and DCE.
Oh please... the only thing that matters is what can be expected from the players, and what I expect from Lee is simply an avenue for the NSW'kers to score tries.
If you really think there is a world where Lee is better than Oates in any RL position, you cannot be saved! :tongue:

Oh please... the only thing that matters is what can be expected from the players, and what I expect from Lee is simply an avenue for the NSW'kers to score tries.
If you really think there is a world where Lee is better than Oates in any RL position, you cannot be saved! :tongue:

I dont rate Lee AT ALL. I think he is cod ordinary, but i also dont think Oates is anywhere near ready for origin. Neither of them are, but at least Lee has 4 years of experience in the backs.

I dont rate Lee AT ALL. I think he is cod ordinary, but i also dont think Oates is anywhere near ready for origin. Neither of them are, but at least Lee has 4 years of experience in the backs.

4 years experience so you'd think he would be better than Oates, hey? Experience means **** all. The reason Origin isn't as good anymore is because they aren't selecting the best players. They're selecting the best players from 4 years ago.

Lee has 4 years of experience of being shit and doing absolutely nothing unless a saloon passage to the tryline is opened up for him. Lee has 4 years of experience being perhaps the worst defensive back playing NRL. What on earth does experience have to do with it?

What does it matter where Oates plays if he plays it well? For the record I'm not even calling for Oates to be 18th man, I just think that your claim that Lee should be ahead of him and anyone that thinks different is bias is absolutely ridiculous

I'd take Oates over Lee every day of the week.

Active Now

• The Strapper
  • Broncosgirl
  • Browny
  • Dazza 92
  • Rambstien
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • Galah
  • jd87
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  • Morepudding
  • eggstar10
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Big Del
  • lynx000
  • Allo
  • Foordy
  • mrtij
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.